Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Wam Bam Thank You Van staggers forward like a drunk rock star

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hellfish, May 7, 2007.

1. Hellfish

Hellfish

1965 Ford Econoline

After months of planning, organizing, delays and setbacks, it all came down to the big motor swap this weekend... and it all sort of fell apart. :roll:

First, the property I was going to do the swap on got sold, so I relocated to my alley, then I didn't get the motor prepped in time, parts didn't arrive, and one of my helpers had a vetinary emergency.

Fellow Chrome Czars and owners of Hot Rod Chassis & Cycle, Ray Gun and Django were going to come by and drop off my freshly built 3.50 Posi Loc 9" rear end and mount it up, but hearing that I was in a bit of a pickle, they came by early and got grimey on a nice sunny Sunday afternoon to help me out. Thanks Guys!! My fiance, Elizabeth, made sandwiches for everyone before leaving for work, but we were so busy that we never had a chance to eat them! As they were leaving, my friend Matt returned from an out-of-town wedding to help me finish buttoning up the motor... a 1989 Lincoln 302 HO v8.

From about 10-2 I disconnected things and got ready for the transplant.

The rustbucket and it's new heart.

[​IMG]

Here's the tired old 170ci inline 6. It ran pretty good, but it leaked oil like a sieve, the distributor kept going out of whack, the carb needed a rebuild, the exhaust was shooting fire... and I had this 302 v8 laying around...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plenty of room to work in the van with all the seats out.

[​IMG]

The dog box is removed and Raygun is trying to figure out how there could be so much oil, grease and HAIR on one motor. It is a 60s van, afterall.

[​IMG]

Almost ready to come out. We were going to drop it down, but it kept hitting the crossmember or steering arm... and when pulling it up, the arm hit the ceiling. Kevin had the bright idea to turn that tall 6 on it side and pull it through the floor. Guess what... it fit!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the 2 crossmembers side by side. the nasty one is for the 170 and will give you a clue as to what the underside of the van looks like. The other is a 240ci inline 6 crossmember I found in a junkyard. The v8 should bolt right on, or will with some slight modifications. I borrowed a plastic mock SBF from Chris50 which should make everything go a lot easier

[​IMG]

Here's the 170 3-speed. It weighs a LOT. Notice the Econoline-only trans mount on TOP of the trans

[​IMG]

Here's the 170 out of the van

[​IMG]

Matt came by to talk on his phone... oh yeah, he helped, too! Here you can see Elizabeth's 51 and the van squeezed into the garage, and a sneak peak at the new motor. It will have an Edelbrock Performer intake and carb and vintage Cragar long tube headers from a Gen II Econoline... if they fit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a pile of parts I probably won't be using for the van

[​IMG]

and my big GAY distributor... which I replaced with an even bigger, gayer distributor

[​IMG]

This coming weekend the 302 MUST go in because my 59 has to go back into the garage...

2. Gasser57

Gasser57

Sure looks like FUN! All you'll need next is a big brown great dane and you'll be ready to drive around looking for a MYSTERY to solve.

3. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Groovy van, Dude!!!

Throw in a chain link steering wheel, lotsa Fun Fur, some murals, a CB, 8-track player and a set of those "Keep On Truckin" mudflaps and you will rule all when the next Van-In hits town!!

:) :cool:

4. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Set the engine back! You guys can do it! Think of the sweet wheelies!

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love the little Econolines! Cool vans!

Wam Bam Thank you Van is the BEST name ever for a classic pimp van like that!!! LOL!!! :D

6. Hellfish

Hellfish

"classic pimp"...so, you've seen my neighborhood? :)

Everyone wants to know why I would paint the motor white... why not?! it's already dirty and I haven't installed it yet! The headers are white, too. :D

This thing will be a camper, Hot Rod Huckster hauler, car part hauler, motorcycle hauler, bicycle hauler, dog hauler, and ...ass hauler

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL! Word on the street is you own that neighborhood! Yeah! ;) :D Nobody will mess with you once the Wam Bam Van is up and haulin' ass!

8. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

open initial fireup it will spout out a bellowing "rock and roll" instead of the usual exhaust note.

(then it will proceed to throwup and do a line of coke off of some wacked out groopie's boob)

That van rocks.

9. Hellfish

Hellfish

Thanks mike! I'm sure the van will attract wacked out, but I don't know about groopie...

10. That is sweet did you ever get her finished?

11. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Kick ass. Will you have it at the Pile Up? I'm trying my best to get out there for it.

12. Hellfish

Hellfish

This is actually an older post. A lot of things have happened since I posted this! But funny you should bring this post up today. After over a year of procrastinating and family obligations (more family that procrastinating), some friends are coming over to help me wire it and get the last bits done to make it driveable... and make it to the Hunnert Car Heads Up drag race in 2 weeks!

Wiring has been the big hurdle for me, but I have a Rebel-Wire rear-mount kit and some friends who know how to wire.

Tomorrow I should be able to bleed the brakes, and re-install the water pump, then hopefully take a little drive around the block.

Before the race I need to replace a lot of rubber fuel line, fab up dog box sides, un-stick a rusted rear shock bolt... and... that outta do it!

Not sure about the Pileup yet. It will depend on a lot of things. My wife wants to bring her Morris... which means I will have to bring the kids in the 59... but I'm sure I could find someone with an unfinished project willing to drive an over-powered death machine for me. :D

13. Hellfish

Hellfish

2007. Jeez. This project has been dragging on too long! Then again, with twin toddlers, things happen a little slower in the garage. :D

Here's another post from 2008-2009 with updates

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289346&page=2&highlight=econoline

and some more

somewhere mid-2009 I finished my exhaust. Yes, they're all "live".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the driver's side, which is considerably more complex than the passenger side due to clutch fork/cable/shift rod alley

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hopefully I can post video of it running soon!

14. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That transmssion crossmember you got out of a van with a 240 is very rare. The 240 was only offered in the last year of the flatnose Econolines and darn few were made with it.

15. Hellfish

Hellfish

Nope. It was offered from 65-67. Technically, there is not transmission crossmember. The 240 trans hangs from the floor just like the smaller 6 trans. In fact, it just bolted right up to my van and it used to be a 170. You can bolt the mount from a smaller 6 trans to a 240 trans. The engine crossmember was essentially the same from 65-67, but the actual engine mounts were in slightly different positions depending on which engine the truck had. 61-64 had a totally different, sheet metal engine crossmember.

You may be thinking of the dual MC. That was only avaiable in 1967, the last year for the 1st generation Econolines,

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  16. Love it! Love it! Love it! The exhaust is totally rad!

17. Muttley

Muttley

Thats going to sound awesome, hurry up with the video. ;) :D

18. Crease

Crease

The exhaust really rocks!

19. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

very cool looking! thanks for sharing!

20. Hellfish

Hellfish

Got it about 80% wired over the weekend thanks to 1LowTrk, TigerMark, and Kansas!

Now I have a water pump problem. I think I was sold the wrong pump. Should be an easy fix.

21. catbox

catbox

that looks like its going be a fun one to drive.

22. I read Fiance and thought to myself... WTH????

I thought you were married

Man this is an "Old Post"... but a goodie!!!

23. Hellfish

Hellfish

yeah, someone drug it back to the top to remind me how long this build has been dragging on... :)

24. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

How about that exhaust video!! You still got the van?

25. Hellfish

Hellfish

I still have it, but have been working on fixing it after some major drag racing carnage. I twisted the driveshaft in 2 and nearly ripped the rearend out of the frame, but now everything is reinforced along with some other improvements, but I'm still working on rust repair

26. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

That cool. I'm looking to make some Zoomies for my E100. How do yo like the ones you made? Check out my build

See below for link.

You got any picks you can post of your ride now?

27. "Well let's go surfin' now everybody's learnin' how, come on a surfari with me . . ."

The van is going to be tits. ;)

28. Hellfish

Hellfish

You guys dredged up a very old thread. This one is more current with reports of driving, etc.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...hank-you-van-econoline-is-on-the-road.521698/

This is what my driveshaft looked like after drag racing. Street driving was fine. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

new drive shaft

[​IMG]

But this is the kind of rust I'm dealing with. It's mostly fixed now. I just need time to finish it. I'll do a build update later this Spring

[​IMG]