Register now to get rid of these ads!

Auto Trans Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dean Pearson, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Dean Pearson

Dean Pearson

Ok all you eggspurts, I have some questions as far as what trans to use in my proj. but first I want everyone to understand what I'm trying to achieve. The car I'm building is a 52 two door hard top Studebaker with 51 front fenders and a 50 bullet nose grill center piece. I'm first using a 454 four bolt main with a stock bottom end and rectangular port heads (6272990) just to get her going asap.
    BUT, I also have a 454 four bolt main that is allready bored .030 (cyl.) and .010 (mains) that I plan to build the hell out of. We will get to what goes in that later but I plan on that second engine having 600+ H.P. I'll be using a Ford 9", my car stock weighs 3300# and my first question is rear end gears? My rear tires are M/T SR radials 6655.I think they are 29" tall and they are 18" wide.
    Second question (so far) is the trans.
    I have both turbo 350 and 400. I allways assumed that the 400 was the obvious choice but after reading some other threads on here am not so sure. Posts on these topics seemed to prefer the 350 but did not say why. I wuold like to build one trans for both engine apps.
    I'm also looking for carb. advise for the first engine, it has the stock GM aluminum intake.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dean.:confused:

2. pricejap

pricejap

Go with the th400 you will be alot better off in the long run. The th350 won't last with a 600+ hp 454.

3. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

the 400 is a stronger trans and can handle the HP. It is a little bulkier but you got tons of room in your car for it. MY choice.

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

To my knowledge,

General Motors NEVER installed a Turbo 350 behind a 454.
    Or any Big Block Chevrolet :)

That said ... a Turbo 350 can be built up to hold a 454 ... but a stock Turbo 400 ... will also.

When Chevrolet released the LS-6 454/450 Horsepower Chevelles ... if they were automatic ... they were Turbo 400's.

I have a Turbo 400 behind my 430 HP Chevrolet ...
    Mine has a Buick Switch Pitch installed.
    Best of both worls. Higher stall ... at low speeds and a tight stall for highway speeds.

A Turbo 350 does have a lower HP drag ( in other words ... it takes LESS horsepower to turn ).

:D

So I would go with a Turbo 400.

5. Dean Pearson

Dean Pearson

Ok so the 350 is out but what do you guys think on the gears and carb questions?

6. 1960CHEVY

1960CHEVY

Most of it depends on how you plan on driving the Stude. Turbo 400 is the better choice for power. For driveability on the stock 454 with the stock intake. I would go with a Holley 650 CFM Spreadbore with Vacuum Secondaries (Model 4175). It'll give you better throttle response, and will be fine for cruising around. Stick with a 3.55 Rear Gear & good posi unit to help you get away from the stop signs and traffic lights. This will also keep the revs down on the Highway. If you want taller gears to go crazy on the strip get another 9" chuck with a Spool. Easy enough to swap out. Hope that helps you. Good Luck with your Project Stude.