Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bondo or wood putty, creative repairs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2many projects, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Creative uses for BONDO.
    I've got some funky fitment issues with the mouldings around the garage doors.
    Wood filler cracks before it sets up if it's laid on too thick.
    It's not user friendly on severe depressions and dips or gaps.
    Can you spot the difference when I broke out my favorite Mickey Mouse stand-by weapon?
    It's great for blending old and new mouldings together.
    Works good on car body's too.
    What have you salvaged with this goop?

2. Captain Freedom

Captain Freedom
    from Upstate SC

I've been told its better to use on old furniture than wood filler because it will handle stain better than wood putty.

3. rebstew187

rebstew187

Good idea. Little off the subject but I had a 1970's hot rod magizine looking through it and they had tech tips. One of them was for big dents in car bodies. The tip went on and showed you how to fill it with that green crap that they use to stick fake flowers in. It spread on like mud and dried and then they said to use your skim coat of mud(bondo) It was one of the stranger things I had ever read in a magazine and I always wondered if anyone really tried that. lol

4. Hmmm......that HRM repair tip back 40 years ago probably nursed more than on car thru rocker panels and rotted fenders before today's patch panels became available.

5. crash11049

crash11049

wow and all this time ive been welding in new panels...I could have done things the traditional way

6. Did the bondo on wood for the old guy who used to live next door. He stood back an was very pleased that the porch pillar didn't have to be replaced. I can hear him now saying G-d da n Richard thats the s its......Got paid with a double shot of Wellers on the rocks. Sure miss that old guy.

7. whid

whid

I do furniture repair for a living...have used bondo for a lot of years for wood repair...best wood filler money can buy........dave

8. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

My front porch pillars are butcher-blocked and turned from what appears to be Sycamore.Soft and fibrous just like it.
    I started scraping the dead paint and thought about using body filler to smooth the surface up.
    Thanks for this thread,now I will!

9. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

One of our dogs ran away and came back in the middle of the night and scratched at the door for what looked like a couple of hours for somebody to let him back in. Messed it up pretty good.

I bondo'd the gouges and reoainted the door. Good as new now.

10. I have been glueing garage doors back together for years with the reinforced body filler, actually just bought a gallon yesterday, can also be used on cars too

11. atomickustom

atomickustom

My Dad used to do antique restoration. Other dealers would bring him stuff that was broken or destroyed and he'd fix it right up. They were always amazed and had no idea how he did it. It was bondo. I saw one of his former pieces in a museum once (seriously) and laughed my butt off. It was black lacquered wood, and I'd helped him fill it, sand it, and spray it with auto paint and an air brush.
    Sometimes he'd use the bondo directly, and sometimes he'd use it to mold a part and cast the missing ones in lead. Either way, they'd end up with something that looked like new.
    I use it as a wood filler - it finishes much better and stays in place.

12. Use it all the time on wood repair. Works great.

13. 48bill

48bill

Minwax sells a "hi-performance" wood filler which smells just like bondo. It is a two part filler that mixes just like bondo and sands and shapes just like bondo. I guess it must be bondo in a different package.

14. ken1939

ken1939

ROLF! Whoda thunkit?

Next we will be using tar on the soft centers and tops on early Fords and Chevys...Oh wait, I already saw that...

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. nickleone

nickleone