Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The H.A.M.B. Coupe - It's yours!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32ford5, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

I'm donating this 1934 Ford 5 window Henry to "the H.A.M.B. membership" so we can build it by discussion and all enjoy it.

Related Threads:
    Name The Coupe!
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=472427

Social group (for keeping records only)
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=519

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So you can all now say you own a 34 5 window coupe. Congratulations! We are all going to decide what to do with it and what happens to it. It will be built with donations or sponsorships (I'll sponsor more parts but my business is not really car based so...).

Here's the quick story so far. I saw it on eBay, fell in love with what it could become and bought it. I was unaware of it's history but knew it needed to be snapped up so I bought it in a blind passionate moment (which from what I read is a pretty common occurrence around here). Since buying it I've discovered it's (cough cough) a "bit" rougher than I expected but it still needs love (right?) so I was scratching my head as to what to do with it. All I know was that it needed to be saved.

I've tried to sell it for what I paid but no takers so here's what I want to do. I want to use it as a kind of community H.A.M.B. project car. When it's built we can all be proud to have helped in it's creation either by participating in this thread or donating parts, time or anything you can.

Never having done anything like this before I'm not sure how to proceed. If insurance or ownership is an issue then I'll just be the owner but I'd like to really and actually "release" it to the H.A.M.B. community.

If I have to explain why I'm doing this then you haven't been here longer than a few minutes. Ryan (whom I've never met and have barely ever communicated with) has created a community here that has integrity, ingenuity, class and a sense of community beyond any I've seen and I've been running forums since 2003 so I know the hassles involved. My hat's off to you Ryan. You get my nod.

Anyway, I want to be a part of the H.A.M.B. phenomena in a new and (I hope) cool way by seeing if I can get something started here that will go on to have enough energy and momentum to be good for the membership as well as raise some money to help members (or mortals) in need.

I'd prefer to never sell the coupe and use it as an ongoing project that we can all learn from for years to come. I'm picturing tech articles on the entire build for starters. That body is pretty rough so I hope I'm not accused of dumping it here but I just want to save this old coupe and I think it would be fun to do it together.

Ok, so we have decisions to make. I'll start off with a few issues we're going to face...

Where is it going to be built and how do we decide from all the volunteers? Should it be a central location or somewhere that means something to us like (has to be said) California?

Insurance/Disclaimer/Waiver:
    We don't want this going horribly wrong because of an accident or unfortunate event. We have to protect ourselves. I'm off shore folks so I'm going to need your advice and help on this. Insurance is impossible for a situation like this so no one works or goes near it without signing a liability waiver.

Style of car:
    Hot Rod? Salt Racer? Drag Racer? I think it should have the H.A.M.B. colour scheme and be "striped" with the names of all who contributed. We could even build it one way, enjoy it for a while then tear it down and build it again in a different style. Why not? It's our toy, we can do what we please. Not sure how we're all going to decide though. Perhaps a series of polls?

Who controls/owns it?
    The car doesn't have a title so I'm guessing we're going to probably build a race car so licensing won't be an issue but ownership might (who signs for it at the track...etc?). I bought it and have paid for it so I own it (morally, if not technically yet) but I'm mentally letting go of it.

Who drives it?:
    I get a key but who else wants one? It would be so cool to be able to offer people a ride in a chopped 34 coupe who would never otherwise have the opportunity and when (if) the line of H.A.M.B.ers ends I'm sure there will be public and other deserving people (kids) who would love to drive either it or in it. This might be an insurance nightmare or it it might be doable. Whatever. We'll work with what we can do. I'm sure we'll all have fun anyway.

Donations:
    I'm donating the body but I'm hoping it will be built by effort from members and spare parts donated. How do we handle these donations? Things like transport can be given and thanks given but what about parts? Who owns them? Is it even an issue?

Alliance Promotion:
    How can we use this car to promote Alliance membership?

Suggestions and Ideas:
    All thoughts, suggestions and encouragement is freely solicited. Tell me what you think. Do I have mental issues or is this just the best idea we've ever had?

I hope this isn't going to be too much hassle (legal-wise) because I really like the idea of a H.A.M.B. community inspired and built car that can raise money for charity or members in need. It can be like a permanent fund raiser if not an endless source of amusement for us all.

Let's get this party started!
    [​IMG]

Edit:
    P.S. Just to clarify, I don't want this car back. If this idea fails the car will be sold to the highest bidder and the money given to charity.

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  2. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

You've lost your mind, huh?

I'll be watching this one.....

...from Texas!

3. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

lol...the absurdity of it just might be the key to making this whole thing work.

4. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

5. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Ideas, inspiration, photos, "what I would personally do" comments, donations, pledges...all welcome.

6. ParkerFya

ParkerFya

Your crazy man, but I digg it

7. Bill,
    I assume the 34 body is now in Australia with you or?

8. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Great idea, completely insane and impossible, but hats off for offering up a body..I think getting a set of parameters will define how this could work..my vote would be a flathead powered salt racer, build and race it here at Lake Gairdner, then a team of aussie hambers take it to bonneville in say, 2013 or so. Ive got a great crack free 99A merc block ,and no doubt some other bits Ill throw in the mix if the build happens in oz, and if I get to help chaperone it to bonneville!

9. I applaud the spirit of the concept.

But, I expect that this would become bogged down in so much drama, so quickly... I don't think the result would be pretty.

-Bill

10. Why is it I can see this project fuckin up big time ,but I may be wrong.

11. while I'm a pretty skeptical guy and generally think along this path, I'd be willing to givW it a go for the hamb.

12. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

That's a bit harsh isn't it Lucky? Not at all. Consider that I've just put the first $4,000 up so... anyway I never want it back. I might enjoy it when I visit the US but if it ends up being useless and no one wants to participate it'll be sold to the highest bidder from a $1.00 auction and the money given to charity or it can go to the crusher. I've edited my original post to make sure that's very clear.

I was speaking metaphorically. If you participate you will feel like it's a "little bit" yours. That's the idea. It's owned by no one (I'm considering myself the custodian or caretaker) and yet owned by us all. Come on, this is a new concept here, work with me on this. Don't clubs build cars made up of parts scrounged or donated or raised?

I just did.

Nope, the car is still in Colorado. I'm hoping someone will volunteer some space in their workshop and we can have it shipped there.

Yeah, I know there's a risk of that happening but it's worth a try. I know it can succeed and I am picturing it as a long term on going project that should be at least capable of making an appearance at the H.A.M.B. drags.

All new ideas and concepts seem impossible at first but I've done a lot of impossible things in my life lately so I'm not going to give up on it without a fight.

You will be wrong but thanks for your feedback.

Think of it this way. I'm throwing this coupe away. If anyone else wants to throw anything away that might add to this coupe or go and practice some metal shaping skills or whatever, they are welcome to go and give it a shot and be a part of this project.

Let's not be so quick to condemn what should be a great idea and a fun project made up of bits from all of us and benefiting those less fortunate. Just humour me for a moment and "if this was possible, how could it be done?" The more I hear the word impossible the more I want to prove that it's not only possible but a really good and unique idea and a great way to save a good old coupe from the crusher.

I'd be happy to go that way but for now the car will stay in the States because I think the money is better spent on the car than shipping it down here. Most donations and offers of help will come from the States so logistically it seems sensible to keep it there and race it there.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  13. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

100% exactly my thoughts...... On the money spent to ship it over 32ford5- If it doesn't go ahead in the states, sell the thing and we'll get another one here!

Lucky Burton- Get your shit together dude. Did you even read the whole write-up?

It's not even going to be in his garage, it's going to be a long way from him dude.

HC.

14. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

I tried to sell it - no luck. I'm getting offers for it now though (typical) so if it sells I'll put the money into another car and we'll carry on. Maybe one found on the H.A.M.B. classifieds.

15. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

Carry on in the states or Australia?

HC.

16. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

If its put in some sort of 'Trust', this may work , just a thought....give him a chance guys,we need positive input perhaps.

17. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

I understand your concerns Lucky because there are some truly evil and negative arseholes out there in this horrible world of ours but I'm not a crook, seriously and as I've mentioned above I don't want anything back for this car. It's a gesture, that's all. Don't read anymore into it than that. The reason I don't "just give Ryan some cash" is that there would be no fun in that at all.

We would all totally miss out on the fun of building this car, showing it, racing it, maybe even raising some money for some worthy cause with it. The point of the exercise is to build a car with community spirit and suggestions, parts and labour. I'll hand the title and all rights to this car to Ryan right now if that helps you belive me. There is no title anyway. It's just a pile of rusty dented metal which can be used to create something extraodinary.

No. Because I don't want to own it. Please stop saying that. Read what I wrote and you'll see what my clear and declared intentions are.

Who said anything about wanting to buy my way to 200MPH? I am EXACTLY talking about earning it! Let's build it and do it. Again, let me be perfectly clear... I want to make exactly zero from this, in fact I'm starting off the show by losing $4,250 by giving this car away. How can you accuse me of wanting to profit when I've just donated a 1934 Steel coupe body to the project?

Lol...who said I couldn't afford to drive a hot rod?

18. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

I've mentioned this several times above but for your sake I'll mention it all again just so we are all very fucking clear.

It doesn't have a title. I don't want the title. I don't want the car. I don't want to make any money on this car. I don't want anyone's money. I don't want anything from anyone. If I never see this car again I couldn't care less.

Here is a unique opportunity. Nothing more, nothing less. I actually thought I was doing a good thing. Maybe I was wrong.

19. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

Lucky Burton- I was a bit upset when you wrote what you did first up because I know that Bill genuinely wants to do this and means every word he wrote. I've got nothing against you and I can understand your point of as you don't even know Bill but you have to give him a bit of a chance.

Think of it as he said it.

HC.

20. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

It doesn't have a title. I don't want the title. I don't want the car. I don't want to make any money on this car. I don't want anyone's money. I don't want anything from anyone. If I never see this car again I couldn't care less.

LIKE HE SAID ! ,give this guy a go.

21. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Thanks Lucky for your PM. It's all cool. I appreciate you were trying to point out a few problems that will probably arise and you're right.

I think the most important point was insurance. The main thing is not who owns this car but that we all get to make sure it's got the right H.A.M.B style. I was thinking we could all learn from or at least be entertained by what happens to this car and the donation angle would make it unique. If it was here I'd just do it and photgraph it but I think that this can become a great project.

If the idea gets canned (and Ryan, it's your site man, you do what you want - kill this thread if it's got a bad vibe) no problem, I'll find some other good use for it. But if there is anyway we can get this idea off the ground and it's for the long term good of everyone then I'm offering this old beat up coupe body to start the project. I meant no fuss no harm.

22. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

Build it , Raffle it to HAMB'ERS only ? Money goes to a good cause !

23. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Yes but who wants (or has the skills) to build it?

I have not put any thought into this but what if I sold it for a dollar to an upstanding H.A.M.B.er who had a limited time (1 month) to add their little bit and pass it on the the next...etc. It could become the "Dollar Bill Coupe" (sorry had to put that in) but seriously, the "Dollar Coupe". We could even paint the car dollar green. Just saying.

This way at least each owner is responsible for what they do with it. Enforcing it would need some thinking and a missing coupe would also be an issue but I just think we can get something rolling here that's interesting and worth following and doing. Maybe there could also be an "understood" spending limit on it?

On second thoughts, if that was the case it could never be a race or street car (quality control) so what could this be? A showcase for metal working?

24. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

From what I see ,Bill is 'Giving' the HAMB family a Coupe body to do something with , teach others, give shops some exsposure,plus have some fun along the way , I think this has potential,if it's done in the correct manner ?

25. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you want to sell it PM your price or call me on 0449 844 387. I'll flip Ryan 5% of the price if we do a deal and you can do what you want with the money you get..

26. I personally think its a cool idea, however personally, I dont see myself contributing to this because I have projects of my own that I can hardly vest time in. But the reason that I'm even taking time to write, instead of my usual lurking, is simply because I'm growing weary of ideas and peoples projects getting blasted off the map within the first page. I mean for gods sakes, this CAN work if people MAKE it work. Some positivity (read glass half full) shit would be nice to read for a change.

27. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

Im with ya on that, I dont even know this guy, but hey ,if its done right ,from the start ,we have enough clever buggers on here to see that bit through,so its all legal etc ,lets keep this thread positive ;)

28. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

seems like this idea is OK, but will probably die a horrible death. you know what they say about to many chefs in the kitchen.

29. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Thanks Lobsterboy! I agree. But participating in the brain storming would be donation (of your time) enough. I'd still be looking for parts and might toss in the add dollar or two help things along the way.

If we toss around the ideas and suggestions we should be able to come up with a way to use this coupe in a way that makes everyone smile.

Panhead, I paid USD$4,250 which is what it's for sale for right now (and has been for a while) and if you or anyone does buy it then this has become one big spammy glorified classified ad and that was never my intention. Ryan would also get another chunk from me too.

Chopt55bc. Fair question. I think of it as "a tip" for Ryan for coming up with this great idea (of the H.A.M.B.) no matter how well this business is going it still takes passion and effort sometimes beyond compensation.

30. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

Theres no need for it to get ,messy ,all the guy wants is constructive & positive stuff to go forward,some people will just want to 'slam' his idea as that how they always see things in life perhaps,wouldnt it be kool to be part of this ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.