Register now to get rid of these ads!

Air ride for my 62 Galaxie...suggestions!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Domino, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Domino

Domino

I am thinking about air bags for my 62. I really like Malcolm's old 62, but I want to get opinions and suggestions before I commit. I want to do this as cheap and easy as possible. Everyone recommends Suicidedoors.com, but I am new to this type of suspension and I don't know what I need. I am not opposed to air over leaf for the rear since I can upgrade later. Is there a kit made for this application that is cheaper than the one ART sells? I am not afraid of doing the work, I just want to get it right. I am open to suggestions.

2. RoadWarrior13

RoadWarrior13
    from Louisiana

Suicidedoors.com has everything you need ........

3. Domino

Domino

Well...I am not sure what all I need. I know I need bags-which ones? I know I need some means of fastening them-what kind? Shocks? Compressor? Tank size? I have never done air ride before.

4. Captain Freedom

Captain Freedom
    from Upstate SC

You mention wanting to do this as cheap as possible so:
    1. Bags- 2500lb firestones
    2. Brackets - Make your own from 3/8 steel plate and large steel pipe.
    3. Shocks - N/A or reused (and repositioned) OEM.
    4. Compressor - York engine driven AC compressor, with homemade mounting brackets.
    5. Tanks size- Irrelevant due to unknown variables, but nothing less than 5gal.

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

PM kustombuilder here on the HAMB, he can hook you up with a package with everything you need for a good price...

6. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

i did the work on my 64... here would be my advice...

- slam RE7s and universal brackets in front (cut to about 4.5-5" depending on tire size, and how low you wanna go)... will have to cut up spring pockets and make room for the 7s, can run 6s but wont ride as nice, will need much more PSI to lift
    - in the rear, air over leaf.. ART kit if you can afford it, and make sure to ask if they changed the shocks that come with it, they were supposed to after i showed them they were 2-3" too short.. dont listen to people, PM me or malcom, after removing a few leafs and using blocks you can get nice and low, and rides REALLY nice.. if you make your own brackets which is feasible, use the firestone sleeve bags, tehy are best in this app, you could always try to buy the helper spring brackets and drill them out to fit the bags better, this would save some $$$
    - viar 450c (1 or 2 depending on how often you intend to hit switches), could go EDC with a york here, depends on your choice... but will still need coalescing filter, etc, etc..
    - 1-2 5 gallon tanks, no matter what DONT get chrome ones they blow up
    - 8 valves, 3/8" SMC is always my choice
    - 1/2" airline (3/8" diameter so you have same ID throught the system except comps)
    - water trap (2 if 2 comps)
    - 2 - dual line viar gauges so you can monitor bags

all that with fittings and all should be around $1200-1600 with shipping... ART kits are expensive, but you can make the bracket and buy the bags and save like $200 off the rear end kit.. fittings are ALWAYS the killer if you buy good stuff

i would go through a company called altered altitude customs in canada, got my stuff there, cheapest ive found for sure

also, remember to get a 150 ir so amp alternator just to be safe, 100 amp can do it if you run one comp.. i like to have LOTS of amperage draw left open personally..

any questions pm me, id love to talk about it over the phone as well.. and just so you know what im talkin about.. here is my ride.. it sits frame 1/16" off the ground all around when aired out.. that being said, im gonna take out my air stuff and swap to aircraft hydraulics soon if my car doesnt sell, i could maybe sell you all my parts ,they havent even been in a year.. i have ALL ART brackets, even in front with the 7s

any more questions PM me or malcom he is nice about stuff like this too.. or call me.. 414-699-8832 - todd

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  7. Domino

Domino

That is great info. Do you have a part number for the universal bracket? I am collecting pics of setups to see what I like the best. I don't want to do anything to my car that isn't reversible. Todd-Do you have any pics of your setup? I just want to get the front bags in right now and the line ran to the back. My car is still in a million pieces. I want to make mine bolt in in the front to minimize welding. I know I will have to relocate the shocks. I would like to copy the ART brackets and such. It will be a while before I can do the rear.

8. FONZI

FONZI

If you wanna lay it out in back you will need to notch the frame.

9. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Not on the Galaxie. The Galaxie has a factory step in the rear of the frame. Mine isn't notched and it lays frame.

10. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

11. Ditto !!!

12. Domino

Domino

There is plenty of kick up in the rear on a Galaxie. I will PM Kustombuilder about brackets and such. I am just trying to learn along the way. I am trying to do this as cheap as I can. I still have to build an engine.

13. Domino

Domino

Sorry for all the questions guys. I found these:http://www.airbagit.com/product-p/bracket-05.htm
    [​IMG]
    Todd-You mentioned the cups should be between 4 1/2 to 5". I want to run RE6 bags, which would work? I pretty much want to copy the ART kit.

14. hit me up, I'm way cheaper than suicidedoors...and they take 3-4 weeks to get shit it's crazy

15. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

drop me a line. i'm always more than happy to answer any of your questions. i can get you a quote too. i think you will be pleasantly surprised at how inexpensively i can get you into a high quality kit. you won't find a cheaper price on kits of half the quality, i promise you that.