Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Cadillac Chop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chopped50Ford, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

Chops are fun and exciting, but that is one sweet ride with fresh paint and everything. I say drive it until some asshole runs into you and you have to redo the bodywork anyway.

2. olpaul

olpaul

Yeah. They are hard to beat stock.

3. olpaul

olpaul

I've only seen one great chop on a Caddy, and that was a black 47 convertible. It was chopped so little, you could hardly tell, but it made the car perfect. I think it's easier to chop a vert than a hardtop.

4. b-bob

b-bob

If you have a good glass guy, i say go for it. It will put your Caddy in a class of it's own.

5. Well, I got her on the ground, Im still laying out the roof for the possible chop. It does look great right now......still thinking about it.!

Attached Files:

6. send_it_all

send_it_all

just lower the back a bit. good to go.

7. Gee

Gee
    from Australia

my dad chopped his '50 2+1/2" at the pillars and laid the stock back window down sinking the corners into the parcel shelf (and sectioned the bootlid too for a nicer flow)
    [​IMG]

8. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

WOW man, , ,that's a thing of beauty...

9. perfect proportions on that chop....your dad did one helluva nice job!

10. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

why do body work and paint and then decide to chop it?

seems pretty stupid to even think about it now.

11. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

tough call! These cars look incredible stock, and it would be very easy to take out too much, But when done right, it looks.... well right.

Attached Files:

13. carbuilder

carbuilder

I would cut it looks nice now but a mild chop puts it in a different class it just says it's a custom not a stocker. If you don't have the kahoneeeees to do it your self ship it to us we will do it. I would retain the 3 piece back glass also, it just takes time & $$$$.

14. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I'm not saying chopped caddy's don't look good, but I'm not sure the ends jusify the means. I personally think the early 50's cads have some of the best factory lines ever created. but that's just me.

15. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I think you're suffering from a classic case of "look what i could have done". You gotta realize man, you've GOT a bitchin' car. I hope you aren't married or in a serious relationship, 'cause I'm guessing you'll get some in that car!

Having said that, IT'S PAINTED! Do you have 10 grand? It'll cost that much to do the chop yourself, get new windows, have someone fine tune the bodywork, get the stainless redone, blah blah blah...

What I'm sayin' here is... Enjoy the car you have. It's very nice!

16. SHORTDOG

SHORTDOG

HAMB CHOP II ?? Let's do it Norm!

17. 51fleetline

51fleetline

Dont do it !!!!

18. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

great idea Shortdog!!

Norm the car looks great...either way gets my vote.

Scott

19. Now that's funny and I have thought about doing it again this year (since it hasn't been done since '06) either with this car or another in the stable. ...

20. caddy man

caddy man
    from usa

Chopped 50 Ford, I can't tell you what you should do,but Nadine wouldn't be Nadine without the chop, and the funny thing is it's not chopped that much, some people don't realize it if it's not sitting next to a stock top, but they know something is different. David Guymon chopped her, and that's who I would recommend doing a 50 Caddy,also I would definately use the 3 peice rear glass. PM me your adress or phone number, I have several pix of the chop in progress, I could probably get some copies and send them to you, I'll be glad to help in any way.

21. chopper99

chopper99
    Member Emeritus

When I chopped my 52 Buick Super 2 dr hdtp. I used a 53 Buick Skylark windshield, which was a 2 3/4 in. chop for my car, didn't have to cut the curved windshield that way. The Caddy bodies and big Buicks are very much the same body. Skylark windshield are getting hard to find.

22. caddy man

caddy man
    from usa

23. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

It's too late. You just painted it and now its in for upholstery.
    To chop it, you'll have to pull all the upholstery to keep it safe. Sure, you can paint match the top after the chop but to expect that the rest of the body/paint will survive all the commotion of a chop job is asking a lot.
    It's a lot of work for a 2" chop. Then consider you may want to deep six the hood V, etc. once the chop makes that look too stock....

24. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

the body work will be fine if its braced.

25. 133

don't chop it Norm. '50s Cadillacs don't need to be chopped at all, they look phenom as is. if you want to chop a car, get a Shoebox or something else.

26. elricho

elricho

anybody can restore a car-but it takes a real man to cut one up.
    Not sure who said that-but words to live by!!!!

27. It depends on what you mean to 'Cut up'.

Anyone can Cut up a car, it takes a craftsman to put it back together, right!

No shortcuts here, it has to be RIGHT!

28. elricho

elricho

Its just a saying man-jeeze-lighten up!!
    Check my chopped 54 on my profile page-yeah I know-im to dumb to figure out how to post a pic on this forum-but I can chop the roof on a Caddy!!!

29. caddy man

caddy man
    from usa

I agree 100% 50's Cadillacs don't need to be chopped, if they've already been chopped...haha!!