Register now to get rid of these ads!

leaf spring de-arching?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1962falcon, Apr 24, 2010.

1. 1962falcon

1962falcon

hey guys looking for ways to lower "slam" my 62 falcon. Looked into the 3" lowering blocks and heard that if you use them with the stock 13" rims and tire size that I would have alot of problems and it wouldnt work. Looked into 2" blocks but really want to go a little lower. I heard I could get my leaf spring de-arched at a spring shop, has anyone had this done before? I was also told that I could reverse the leaf springs just reinstalling them upside down and that would work?? Also heard I could put the 2" blocks and take out a leaf from the leaf springs and that would make it lower. I dont have the money to do airbags so thats out of the question right now. Any info or advice will help:eek:

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You've pretty-much got the options covered, though I never heard of turning leaf-springs up side down...doesn't mean it can't or hasn't been done though. Be careful if you're doin' the work yourself. If you can afford to pay for some labor, I would take it to the local spring-shop, and have them do it. It'll be done quickly, safely, and they can advise you as far as dearching, removing leaves, or both. Tell them how much you want it lowered, and they can fix ya up. Keep in mind, that depending on how much it's lowered, you may have to replace the shocks with shorter ones. The auto supply can help you there.

3. 1962falcon

1962falcon

Thanks for the advice, sounds good, i'm going to try and find a spring shop here in houston that will de-arch them for me.

4. grimmfalcon138

grimmfalcon138
    from az

On my 63 wagon i used 2" blocks and removed 1 leaf on stock wheels and tires, that got it pretty low.

5. roddinron

roddinron

I did mine, and yes, flipped them to reverse the eyes, here a couple pictures of what I did.

Use a press
    [​IMG]

getting there

[​IMG]

Reversed

[​IMG]

I later took a little of the arch back out of them, and left out 2 leaves when I reassembled the pack. You can see the results in my avatar, but it's not that low after you take the 5 Great Danes out.

6. 1962falcon

1962falcon

grimmfalcon do you remember which leaf you removed?? or does it not really matter?