Register now to get rid of these ads!

'59 Apache w/ Camaro IFS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nikwho, Apr 24, 2010.

1. nikwho

nikwho

I got started on the new project a couple of days ago. Its a '59 Apache. Its a long bed, 123.25" wheelbase that I will cut down to 115" wheelbase. The factory shortbeds are 114". Im moving the front wheel centerline forward 1" to better center the wheels in the front wheel opening. In order to only cut the frame once, not in front of and behind the cab, I'm taking the extra 8.25" out of the front of the frame during the Camaro IFS swap. Then, i'm moving the cab mounts back 9.25 inches to get the front wheels where I want them. I got the "No Limit" dvd on camaro IFS swaps and like the way that they do it so im modifying what they do a little bit to take care of my wheel base change at the same time. I'm using a firewall mounted master cylinder, booster, brake pedal bracket and brake pedal out of the same '79 Camaro that I pulled the rear axle and front subframe out of. I just started on this truck a couple of days ago so not too much progress has been made. Here are some pictures of what I have gotten done so far:
    I removed the front clip, bed and moved the cab back to expose the part of the frame that i'll be working on.
    [​IMG]

I got the frame all leveled out and up on jack stands.
    [​IMG]

I took all of my measurements from the frame to have numbers to shoot for when welding the factory frame horns back into place to re mount the front fenders, grill, bumper etc.

After getting all of my measurments, I welded two braces on the frame, 30.25" behind the factory wheel centerline, which ended up 1 7/8" behind the leading edge of the front cab mounts. The frame was cut 20.25" behind the factory wheel centerline. Off came the factory stuff:

[​IMG]

This makes up the 12" that No limit wanted cut off plus the 8.25" that i'm taking out of the wheel base. The cab mounts are being moved back 9.25" to accomodate the short bed and to move the front wheels 1" forward from stock location.
    [​IMG]

Here is the Camaro subframe that I picked up:

[​IMG]

And 10 bolt:
    [​IMG]

2. nikwho

nikwho

I got a really good deal on a SBC that a guy had a local engine builder build up and the guy ran out of money. Should be good for about 375 hp with the double hump heads.
    [​IMG]

3. nikwho

nikwho

I'm still prepping the IFS for install. The '59's frame is 34" wide, outside to outside. The camaro is about 37". So, I'll take some pie cuts out of the camaro frame rails to narrow it down a little bit and heat and bend the truck frame out about 3/4" on each side so the two frames come together nicely.
    [​IMG]

4. nikwho

nikwho

I'll heat up the truck frame just in front of the braces and bend the frame out. Thats why there is two braces, one on top, one on bottom, to ensure that the frame bends out straight and does not twist.

5. looks good so far, should be a nice driver

6. nikwho

nikwho

Thank you. I'm hoping it will be. I'm going to bet back at it on monday. I should get it all welded and boxed in by then. Then I will just need weld the cab mounts on and put the cab back, and start addressing the bed. Also I need to see how the engine is going to sit in the factory Camaro locations. I might need to fabricate my own frame mounts to adjust how the engine sits in the engine compartment.

7. nikwho

nikwho

I lucked out with this truck. Hardly any rust at all. Floor boards are good, cab corners are solid. It was well taken care of through the years. The only holes that I'll need to fill are where the big towing mirrors were and where the hood emblem was.

8. If your truck is going to sit low in the front, I would think about narrowing the clip about 3-4 inches. Those forward steer clips are pretty wide under a classic Chevy truck.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  9. Joes50

Joes50

I look forward to reading out your progress.

10. ...I agree, you should measure the overall width of the orig. front axle to outside of the tires; and do the same with the Camaro sub,...I'm bettin it's too wide.
    ...I just installed a 72 Nova clip (drum brake front, which are narrower than disc brake fronts and narrower than your year Camaro frt.) under my 55 pickup and it'll fit nicely with the top of both frames even as yours is shown. Better to check this out now...

11. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

Looking forward to seeing this one come together

12. nikwho

nikwho

I will need to measure the stock axle and camaro ifs and see what the difference will be. I'm running 6" wheels with 3 3/4" backspacing. I'm not exactly sure how the ride height will end up yet. Not slammed. But lower than stock, i'm sure.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  13. nikwho

nikwho

If I end up needing to narrow this thing, do folks usually narrow the arms? is there a co. that sells nice tube arms that are narrowed? Or do folks narrow the subframe? I wont get to go home for three days to work on it more. I just started a 72 hour shift.

14. I did this one back in the early 90's, it's still on the road and never narrowed the 79 camaro stub under it.

[​IMG]

front shot

[​IMG]

15. goodgarb

goodgarb
    from TACOMA,WA

Look good and a lot of progress in a short amount of time, go man go.
    Mark

16. nikwho

nikwho

Got some more work done on the '59. I got the '59 frame flared out to accept the IFS. I heated up the frame, top and bottom just in front of the braces that I welded on. I did one side at a time and I shot for about 7/8" because the frame pulls in a bit when it cools. Was shooting for an end result of 3/4" on each side. Came super close when it cooled.

[​IMG]

I cut out the pie cuts from the camaro sub frame. 1 1/4" out of each side. So, that brought the IFS sub frames width down to 34 1/2" and the truck frame to a inside to inside width of about 35". With a two inch over lap, the two frames came together pretty well.

[​IMG]

That was definately the difficult part. Should go quicker from here on. Got it welded together and I just need to box it all up and finish welding it. It went suprisingly smooth.

Sorry for the bad cell phone pictures. I didn't have my dig. camera with me.

17. awesome man! sounds like you know what your doing. is this your first subframe install?

18. nikwho

nikwho

thank you! Yes, it's the first time for me. Its going really smooth though.

19. You can get by not narrowing one when it sits that high. Drop it on the ground and it would need to be narrowed

20. 10secondA

10secondA

Viva Las Vegas 13  404.jpg looks good there is no need to narrow the clip with a narrow wheel i set mine up real low and as long as you have a wheel with the right backspace it is a great fit

21. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Jdubbya's '55 with a stock Camaro sub...

Attached Files:

22. No debate nesessary. I'm say'n if you want the lips of the front fenders even with the tops of 15 inch wheels and expect to have full turning radius left and right (with no air ride).... you have to use really skinny wheels or narrow the clip.

23. nikwho

nikwho

gotcha. Its not going to sit too low. Just using factory camaro springs, not drop spindles or anything. Will go to big block springs if neccessary. Its going to run 15x6" wheels with 3 3/4" backspacing. I'm thinking 225-70-15 tires. If I need to end up running narrower wheels to make it work, thats not a problem. Thanks for the heads up guys!

24. Rockabilly_Hooligan

Rockabilly_Hooligan
    from Euless, TX

Hi Nik,

Very nice ride. I hope mine looks as good as yours one day. I emailed you earlier on another forum. I have an 1958 Apache 3100 and about to begin an camaro IFC clip graph. I read you had a copy of the No-Limit DVD and highly recommend it. Since you no longer need it, would it be possible to obtain an copy of it? I am more than willing to pay for DVD and postage.

Best Regards,

Erol
    [email protected]
    972-489-9265