Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 54 Chevy Body off

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim Sideways, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Jim Sideways

Jim Sideways
    from Ohio

Ok guys I am taking the body off of my 54. I could use some ideas on what I am getting into on the lift. I was thinking of a couple 4x4's through were the doors was and the back windows, and some friends lifting while we roll the frame out from under it, but then I thought about 4 friends with bad backs:(. Also its in a finished 2 car garage noo trusses above to get to. Was also thinking of an engine hoist....... Let me know what you guys did on yours. I did a search and came up empty handed, so let me know what would be best. (Not really looking for the answer of a car lift, LOL. I'm just a poor white boy with a bad back and big dreams)

Thanks in advance,
    Jim

2. Captain Freedom

Captain Freedom
    from Upstate SC

If it was bagged, ya could raise it up, unbolt the body, put blocks under the body, deflate the bags, remove the wheels & tires and slide the frame out from it?
    Big tree in the backyard?

3. Jim Sideways

Jim Sideways
    from Ohio

I would have to have baggs off a Kenworth for that wouldn't I?

4. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Try doing something similar by jacking the entire car off the ground as high as you can get it, use a couple 4x4s through the windows and build some heavy duty bracing to hold the car up, unbolt the body, then lower just the frame down, and bingo.

how to move the car body?

Put some heavy duty casters on the bottoms of your supports.

5. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

i used engine hoist. lifting at the trunk latch inside of trunk. set up two sawhorses on each side then run 4x4 under body. one in front one in back. lifted body at front using chain wrapped thru front body supports by firewall. deflated rear tires rolled frame out.

6. I ussd a engine lift also. I put a 4x4 in the triangle shaped openings in the interior sheet metal just behind the b-post. If you look close at this pic you can see the 4x4. I lifted and installed the body by myself. Not that hard. Todd
    [​IMG]

7. chopt49

chopt49

I used my engine hoist and a homemade body support (that rolled too)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Jim Sideways

Jim Sideways
    from Ohio

Thanks guys, anyone else have any ideas.

9. 54oldie

54oldie
    from Oklahoma

If you have two floor jacks it's easy. I put a jack on each side just below the front of the front door. There's a ridge that runs along the bottom from front to back on each side. I had a friend help me and each of us took a side with a floor jack. We jacked the front first until we had enough room to slide a 4x4 between the front of the body and the frame. The 4x4 was wider the the width of the wheels and supported on each side with jack stands. Then we went to the back and with the back bumper removed there is a flat space right under the back of the trunk area that is just the size for another 4x4. We put the 4x4 under there and jack it up with the floor jacks and put jack stands under each side. To make it easier to move the frame from under the body, we then put a floor jack under the rear end and jacked it just enough to remove the rear tires. We then lowered the two rear drums onto the small 4 wheel dollies( like the small cheap ones at Harbor Freight). This lowered the frame enough to slide out the front. Hardest part is getting "all" the body bolts off. I think there are 16 to 18 of them if my memory serves me right. Took us less than a hour. Too bad you live in Ohio, I still have the frame I made to roll the body around on. Good Luck. LC

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  10. TJratz

TJratz

We used pipe jacks and 4x4s to lift it off the frame then rolled a cart made of 1 inch square tubing under it...thats what its sitting on now

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      450.1 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      351.4 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      308 KB
      Views:
  11. Jim Sideways

Jim Sideways
    from Ohio

Chop49 you posted same time I wrote above. What is the chain hooked to? Or do you have the boom against the roof? I think this will be the line of attack I will be running with. Thanks for the advice and the pics everyone!!! 54 oldie to bad those stands are in Oklahoma LOL!! Thanks!!!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  12. chopt49

chopt49

Kinda a redneck, backyard way I did this - but it WORKED... :D

I used the hoist and used the engine leveler (in case the body shifted) and used straps that I attached at 4 points (see pic). You must watch the hoist so it does not "dimple" the roof, don't ask how I know this..:rolleyes:

Does this make sense? Feel free to PM me with any questions. I can give my number to call too.

[​IMG]

13. Jim Sideways

Jim Sideways
    from Ohio

Redneck is me and 4 other guys with 4x4's running through windows....... Hell your an engineer with that rig. Hats off to ya. Looks like it could have been a one man band taking that off for you. Thanks alot, I know whenever I need some info the hamb is the place to go. I Like this one the best thanks CHOPT49 and everyone else. I'll put some pics up when I get a little farther along. All I have left is column and master cylinder and she is ready to pull. Just need a place to store it until I get frame blasted and put back together.