Register now to get rid of these ads!

turbo 350 transmission ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lorodz, Apr 23, 2010.

1. lorodz

lorodz

ok so today i got the 56 chevy registerd, was going to take a 1st time ride ...put it in reverse back out of the driveway put it into drive and take off now it was fine until i realized it wasnt shifting from the lower gears into the higher gears ..i guess theres 3 speeds so i drive it back into the drive way pop the hood and i realized i didnt put the vacume to the tranny so i fix that take for another ride now its shifting but only into 2nd gear not 3rd hmmm im stumped ...feels like its in a low gear on take off..

now the shifter im using is a older style b&m with the little finger pull thing you lift it up and than shift ..[​IMG]

on the trans i think i need a diffrent arm selecter on the driver side ..does anyone have one for a turbo 350 [​IMG]

why does the trans slip after 2nd gear and not shift into 3rd is there a adjustment besides on the shifter it self

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  2. lorodz

lorodz

3. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

to make sure you are physically hitting the right gears, start out by shifting into low and manually upshift to 2nd, then 3rd. if your shifter is hitting the right points but your trans isnt shifting, you may have an issue

4. knotheads

knotheads

check the trans preasure cable for adjustment.

5. sounds more like a bad filter then a linkage issue

6. lorodz

lorodz

just got back fromn a local speed shop they had the shifter parts i nedded ..spent 30 bucks and took the bike for a ride hopefully tomorrow i will fix the problemo..

7. mac762

mac762

I imagine your adjustment is screwed up on that shifter. I've never owned a B@M but a Hurst isn't that much different. Just a few turns on the nuts will get you there, PITA I know.

8. lorodz

lorodz

the b&m and the hurst are very much the same mega shifter in style and function ..
    i just picked up the new hardware will try it out in the a.m

9. stromberg

stromberg

Might sound dumb, but did you check to make sure the fluid is full?

10. lorodz

lorodz

i thought the trans took tops 6 quarts but someone on another side said 10 to 12 in a bone dry trans ...i have to re check the level when its running .

11. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

the converter holds 8-10qts. pan and rest of the trans holds a few more. a bone dry th350 should take 10-15qts depending on torque converter

12. lorodz

lorodz

god damn thats alot of fluid ...lol...i must be very low than ....plus you forgot the trans cooler also ...jesus..gotta get more

13. send_it_all

send_it_all

Yeah, a dry trans will hold a metric fuck-ton of fluid.

14. lorodz

lorodz

shit ..im not a automatic guy always drivin standardtrans ..hate automatic but its what i got so ...that will keep the trans from shifting or sliping in and out of gear ..