Register now to get rid of these ads!

Welder help please.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by .C.D.O., Apr 23, 2010.

1. .C.D.O.

.C.D.O.
    from APT

I have a Lincoln SP-135T, I have used it only a few times, its stored in a dry place and it worked perfectly the few times I used it. Recently I tried to use it after letting it sit for about a month, it turned on the fan worked and gas came out when I pulled the trigger but no wire. Its not feeding wire at all, although everything else works perfectly. I opened it up and the wire feed wheel is not spinning at all... has anyone had the same issue? what are the solutions? how much am I looking at spending? any help is very appreciated.
    Thanks!.C.D.O.

2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Some welders have a circuit breaker in the feeder circuit. I'm sure someone here can be more specific. Good luck. Stu

3. megawatt220

megawatt220

I have a miller but the same thing happened to me was fuse on circet board.

4. megawatt220

megawatt220

I have a miller but the same thing happened to me was fuse on circuit board.

5. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

1. Make sure correct voltage is
    applied to the machine (115vac).
    2. Make certain that power switch
    is in the ON position.
    3. Make sure circuit breaker is​
    reset.

This is a direct copy from the trobleshooting guide for the Lincoln. If you don't have the manual, you can download it for free on the Lincoln website. Stu

6. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

I have a Miller as well. And the only reason the wire doesn't come out is when the tip is clogged with weld slag.
    CDO, check to see if the wire wheel is spinning inside. If it is spinning, this problem is either the tensioner or that your tip is clogged (most likely) and needs cleaning.

7. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

He said the wheel was NOT spinning in his first post. Stu

8. .C.D.O.

.C.D.O.
    from APT

cool thanks guys, when you say "a fuse on the circuit board" you mean in the welder, correct? where is that located?

9. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

mine does that if its stuck between heat ranges on the switch, make sure the switch clicks properly to the next heat range and back

10. d_Seymour

d_Seymour
    from Michigan

Had a similar problem with Lincoln 100 welder. There is a thermal breaker located between the windings of the transformer with a single lead wire. Very delicate check the connection. If needed, Cut off the barrel of a crimp style terminal and slide it over the thermal breaker and reposition the lead wire, solder connection take care with solder time amount of heat.

11. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

If your welder is a Lincoln, it has a circuit breaker, rather than a fuse (Miller). Download the factory manual for your machine. Stu

12. .C.D.O.

.C.D.O.
    from APT

Okay so I read the manual, it says that all I need to do is press a button (or "manually reset") that is tripped when the machine is "overloaded with work" but that button doesnt do anything when I push it..... hmmmmm... maybe the motor burnt out or something, but it makes no sense because I never overworked the machine and I barley even used it. Also it worked fine a month earlier. Damn this sucks I cant spend more money on fixing my tools to fix my car hahahaah

13. .C.D.O.

.C.D.O.
    from APT

By the Way its a Lincoln SP100-T not SP135-T

14. If it is a SP100 that switch is a little Tricky to reset. It is actualy a rocker switch with very little movement. Play with it a little and I think you will find this is your problem.

15. .C.D.O.

.C.D.O.
    from APT

hmmmmm... ok. is a rocker switch like up and down not in and out? and I want the switch in, correct?
    thanks a bunch!

16. Hi i have a lincoln that did that
    loosen the wire tensionet (the sctew with the spring) put a wrench on the drive roller
    it will take a bit to turn it DON'T FORCE IT to turn fast if it will not turn
    the motor has a continous magnet and they swell up on the armature
    i had to remove the high spots the magnet is like a rubersied refeigerator magnet
    mins has worked ever since

17. .C.D.O.

.C.D.O.
    from APT

So use a wrench and kinda "give it a little help" but not too much? and if it still doesnt move I need to remove some high spots on a magnet?
    If you could explain a little bit more that'd be great!
    thanks!!

18. jhnarial

jhnarial
    from MISSOURI

I don't know what yours looks like inside but on my miller there are contacts that tell the machine to push wire when the trigger is pulled.

Push it in manually and see if the wire is fed. If so just clean your contacts with some sand paper.

I had a similar problem and that is how I fixed it.