Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Sexy Sadie" Custom Shoebox Build Thread...PICS!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pinstriper40, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Thanks again Andreas! Your car is so simple and elegant. I will try my best to achieve the same.

2. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

Cant wait to get down there again and help with the Top Chop Joel.

3. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

You have no idea how excited I am to chop it Aaron! It's been keeping me up at night!

4. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Man I like your plan,nice car to start with.She will be a cool ride when done.

5. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

As stated before, my shoebox will be chopped and hardtopped much like Andreas' shoebox. I've only got two weeks to go before it will go under the knife, and not only am I extremely excited, but also a little nervous. I've got a great team of guys helping me out with it (Suedes members and my Dad) and we're all pretty much on the same page when it comes to lines, proportions, etc...

So my questions are:

What is the best way to organize 8-12 people to get the job done? I want to get it at least tacked back together with all of the new metal in by sunday night.

Should I cut the door tops off and tack them to the body right away or should it be one of the last steps? I'm planning on chopping the car with the doors on the car.

How much bracing do I need? I know I'll use at least an X in the roof and at the beltline... do I need more than that?

Thanks for the input, and look for updates in a couple weeks!

Attached Files:

6. billys54

billys54

7. teddyp

teddyp

the car is coming out great headlights look great and i,m glad to hear your putting a olds in it old fords and olds motors is a combo i always like keep us posted and enjoy

8. hvychvy

hvychvy

Lookin great!!Keep us posted.

9. BEAR

BEAR

man i want a shoebox

10. Philbilly

Philbilly

Looking good. I like it.

11. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Thanks everybody! I'll be finishing the headlights and reassembling the front sheetmetal this coming week- I have a full week off for Spring Break and I gotta get some floors in it too before the chop. Hopefully I'll have them in by next Thursday so I can get some beer drinking done...

12. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Found you're thread! Nice work brutha! I've subscribed, so I'll be following along with the build. Good luck. By the looks of the progress so far you're doing just fine though.

13. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

UPDATE:

With the help of fellow clubmember Stefan (sixinarow), the front sheetmetal is now again temporarily in place for visual aid during the chop. I wanted to get my floors done before the chop, but I don't know if it'll quite happen or not. The roof will be fine without the floor being done, so it's not urgent. I've got tonight and a couple nights next week to work on it. I've put two panels in so far....

I'm also trying to come up with grille ideas. '55 Desoto, custom floater, and stock are my three favorite options right now.

Thanks grovedawg!

Attached Files:

14. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

These are the last pictures until we do our play-by-play chop next weekend. If I get the floors done I might post up pics later next week... Enjoy!

Attached Files:

15. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Good work so far

it will be intresseting to see be chopped

/Stefan

16. The count down is on......one week from now the sparks will be flyn'.

17. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Can't wait for the chop pics

18. Crease

Crease

19. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Thanks Crease... The chop has been haunting me. Every waking hour I think about it. This is partially because I've waited 6 months to do it. First it was going to be in February because my brother in law and fellow Suedes member, RacerJohnson, was due back from Iraq then.
    He made it home safely, and then the date was pushed back again so more club members could come and help out; the Suedes have been talking about a club chop for a while now, so this will be the perfect opportunity!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  20. poorboy87

poorboy87

Subscribed. :cool:
    Ive located a 50 ford that im gunna try and get when funding allows. I want one soo bad.
    Keep up the work.
    Cant wait to see the chop

21. shifter77

shifter77

any updates? i can't wait to see how this turns out.

22. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I'll have some updates by the end of next week. I'm doing a chop on a T coupe for a customer right now so my time is spent... I did get the '55 desoto grille from WB69 and I'll be attempting to make a Merc grille surround soon... stay classy San Diego!

23. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Here's a little update. I put the car in primer to try and stop rust. Also, I cut into my '55 Desoto grille; it should fit well and look good.

Attached Files:

24. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Looks great and very inspiring...;)

25. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

;) I'm glad you like it Mr. Shifter.

26. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

how about now? anything new?

27. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Updates? The sudden death of this thread makes me nervous...........

28. daddio211

daddio211

We demand updates! :D

29. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

There have been a few things delaying the progress of "Sexy Sadie"... First, Pops moved out of town and got himself a 54'x90' shop. I spent the majority of late spring this year helping him move things and get things organized. Then, I spent the rest of the summer painting/assembling/buffing the '40. More on that in the future...

Having said that, I have re-focused on the shoebox for the time being and (I know I've said this before but..) I'd like to get the metalwork/bodywork done by spring 2013. I'm no high-dollar guy... I do it all myself or with the help of a few club members. My dad and I are also working on my uncle's '39 Chevy coupe, so most of my spare time will be dedicated to that.

30. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Anyone want to see some updates? I'll post up some pics tonight...