Register now to get rid of these ads!

Used Motor Oil, disposing of it properly

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AJofHollywood, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Wrap some rags around sticks, soak them in used motor oil then set light to them - makes handy torches to celebrate Earth Day.

2. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

or to storm the castle, looking for the monster. And use it to burn witches. What else do we use to burn witches????? MORE witches!

3. afan

afan
    from michigan

I take mine to work and they heat the shop and the garages with it. I have friends that have nastalga AA/FD's and when they drop the oil out I take that oil up there and dump in the holding tank and the mechnics all say "is that water in that oil"? "I say no thats NITRO that will make it burn better" then i walk away.

4. pool

pool

It's great for getting a big ol' pile of tires burning for the earth day bash.

5. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I know a guy that kills weeds with oil

6. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

I distribute mine around the neighborhood just a little bit in all of my neighbor&#8217;s cars after every oil change. &#8220;Don&#8217;t know why your truck smokes every now then" /><o:p></o:p>

7. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

Pour it on the ground after all that is where it came from LOL

8. jpm49c

jpm49c

Phoenix and Scottsdale sprayed used oil on dirt roads in the 60's to keep the dust down! And a lot of it! John

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Lots and lots of it! Even into the seventies... Hell I remember running around the jogging track in grade school outlined with - used engine oil!

10. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Lots of responses. I haven't read them all. So, this may have been posted by someone. We lived in Boston, but had a pretty large non-working farm in NH for summer and weekend getaways. Dirt roads weaved all over the place, through the woods and fields. There was a guy with a tank trunk with a boom across the back that would spray waste oil on our roads to keep dust down. When it set up, after a few days in the sun, it was almost like asphalt. I seem to recall my dad paying ten cents a gallon for the oil.

11. dmw56

dmw56

Everyone did that!

12. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

I believe theres a law where if you sell over a certain amount of oil by law you have a collection tank for waste oil.
    Not sure if its a state or federal law.

Used it in the fence line forever. Hell the weed and bug killers are probably worse than the oil!

13. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I pour it into the diesel pickup along with old gas, transmission fluid, and just about any other flammable liquid. One thing is for sure, it smells way worse running on drain oil than diesel. I also use it to coat the underside of my cars and to lubricate various things on the farm.

14. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I'm savin' it. There's going to be a shortage.

You boys that think it really makes any difference ain't been payin' attention. The next comet or asteroid impact will close us down anyhow. The next intelligent species might drink oil for breakfast.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  15. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

In the same vein as oil on dirt roads; was'nt there a dragstrip in California that used to do it's pit area that way? Then one day, a "new" driver showed up, and sprayed the oil on the DRAGSTRIP! What track was that, Half Moon Bay? I remember reading about it somewhere, maybe on here. And, I'm guilty of most of the things listed so far, at one time or another. Butch/56sedandelivery.

16. SAFU

SAFU
    from Arizona

We had a guy come by every so often with a pump truck and suck out the ol underground oil tank we dumped used motor oil in. We damn sure didn't let anyone who changed their own oil put their's in there so I don't have a clue what they did with it. :confused:

SAFU

17. Don't quite remember what we did with it in the '60 & '70s ... but in the '80s & '90s we stored it in this vintage Wayne oil pump:

Wayne Oil Pump - 001.jpg Wayne Oil Pump - 002.jpg Wayne Oil Pump - 003.jpg Phillips66 Petroliana.jpg

... and when it started to get full, I transferred it to approved 1 gallon containers ... and put them at the curb with the Recycling bins.

For the past 10 years, I've had to bring my used oil to the local "Household Hazardous Waste Facility" (my current garbage service doesn't offer curb-side oil recycling) ... it's such a hassle that I actually take my wife's daily driver to the dealership (for its "free" oil changes) and my daily driver to the local SpeeDee Oil Change & Tune-Up :eek:

18. Most chains and salvage yards will take it. Guy brought some in to an Advance Auto today and they made him sign a sheet on a clipboard, I dunno, maybe to certify it's used oil and nobody peed in it or anything.

19. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

I use mine in a religious ceremony. I collect and save it
    up all year long....and then, on "Earth Day', I set fire to
    it. burning it in a flaming, smoking cauldron in my back
    yard, as an offering to the Hydro-Carbon Gods!!!! :D:D

Mart3406
    ==================================

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  20. wsdad

wsdad

We used it to lubricate our chainsaws and preserve the wood on the cattle guard and patio.

21. 36 Airstream

36 Airstream

I put it on the fences around our property. It gives a nice stained color to the wood and the termites absolutely hate it.

22. sinticket

sinticket

My grand father had a barrel that had an attachment off the bottom of it in the shape of a T with a on/off valve on it and many holes drilled in it. He would put it in the back of his pickup, turn it on and drive down the dirt/gravel road he lived on to keep the dust down. His road was never dusty

23. Count Scrapula

Count Scrapula
    from Mid TN

Dad used to have me and my brother crawl under the house and pour it around the foundation of the house to keep bugs away.

24. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

25. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

we have one of those at the plant on the aircraft oil barrel,it still works and looks great!!

26. 6erwebb

6erwebb
    from Nashville

I live out where they cant tell you what to do per se, but what we do with it is just pour it on the wood plank fences. Keeps em black and rot free.

27. poorboy87

poorboy87

lol thats great lol

Worked for a farmer a while back who had me take 5 gallons at a time and throw it on the gravel road in front of the house. This was before i knew better.
    I take mine to Advance 5 gallons at a time about twice a month. Doesnt take long to get 5 gallons

28. Diavolo

Diavolo

I burn it in the diesel. Not more than about a quart per tank on the newer stuff, but a buddy from work would run 50% in his old 7.3 Powerstroke with mechanical injectors. Just putting around, it was fine, but you could smell oil if he stomped on it. He ran 50% when gas and diesel was $100 a gallon a few years ago. Helped him keep food on the table for his family.

29. Frank

Frank

Back in the day, my Dad said they would pour it on a mangy dog and rub it into his skin. In time a nice healthy coat of fur would come back.

Personally I keep a little around in a squirt can for various uses.

30. bobjob55

bobjob55

back in the 70's they were paying so much for waste oil ,, you had to keep a lock on your 55 gal . barrels so no one would steal them .. recycling old oil was big money .. can't figure out why it isn't now ..... seems to me that as much as it costs now that it would be worth something ...