Register now to get rid of these ads!

TH-350 wires coming from trans/starter area?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by retiredfireguy, Apr 21, 2010.

1. lorodz

lorodz

take a picture im going crazy trying to think of what you have found ....lol
    make a photobucket account its free and you can download your pictures from their

2. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

Ok, I downsized the photo and finally got it to upload. Hopefully it will show up when I post this. Please excuse all the crud on the trans. I still have to clean it up.

Attached Files:

3. send_it_all

send_it_all

Reverse lights?

4. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

As stated before, the wire goes to a relay to prevent spark advance
    until trans is in high gear. '71-'73 I think.

5. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

The code on the trans indicates that it was built in a year ending in 9, so it couldn't be a '71-'73. But your answer makes sense to me. Thanks.

6. bobjob55

bobjob55

neutral switch ??no,, its on the left side if my old brain is right ... reverse switch ?? take a volt meter set it to show ground ... hook it up to plug and ground ,,, and move shift arm ... when needle moves that's it ......

7. No neutral or reverse switch on a TH350. It's the high gear thing discussed earlier. I'm pretty sure that port exists on all TH350's for testing on the bench for high gear line pressure. No matter what year the trans is, that switch can be added when that trans ended up in the appropriate car that needed the switch

8. bobjob55

bobjob55

yup,,,,, ok,, your right.. getting old and having a brainfart moment ....

9. bobjob55

bobjob55

keep us posted....get pics as soon as you can .. did you get it for a fair price ??

10. dont GM use a net safty switch and a back up wire(lights) 2 wires and a back up 2 wires? 4 wires just asking

11. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

I have a tH350 that came with that switch. I was not using it and it went bad and started leaking like crazy. I just plugged the hole with an old oil pressure switch i had. The hole is 1/8 pipe. Cesar

12. Diesel627

Diesel627

umm actually there is a th350C that has electronic lock up, and has a 3 or 4 prong wire harness located on the dip stick side.

13. Maybe that's the "Metric" TH350 that everyone said to avoid when they were around some time in the 80's

14. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

Paid $1,000 for the truck, in running condition. Engine was supposedly rebuilt and sounded great. Trans seemed to work fine, too. Pulled the engine, trans, battery, and a bunch of small parts. Sold what was left for $300.

15. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

regarding the photo posted:

take that pressure switch out of the trans. Install a 1/8 inch pipe thread plug. you are done - finished .

The switch was an emissions control part as pointed out by a few fellows

16. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

I've been in the transmission business all my adult years from 1981 on.... What the heck is that? I have never seen a plug in that location.

17. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

I still don't know for sure. But read the other posts for some idea of what it might be.