Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '55 Ford F100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ParkerFya, Apr 22, 2010.

1. ParkerFya

ParkerFya

Hello All, been lurking awhile and have finally got something hamb friendly so I thought I would share.

Here are some Pics

Attached Files:

2. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

I hope you kicked him down on the price! Look at that huge dent in the rear fender! :eek::D

Nice pick up. Love those trucks.

3. ParkerFya

ParkerFya

I got the truck from my grandpa, I have been looking to get it for years and we finally made a deal.

its got a 312 with a 3 speed witch is going to stay for now.

Some more pics

Attached Files:

4. ParkerFya

ParkerFya

Ya im thinking a little bondo will take that out. ;)

5. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

The truck looks solid! Love the motor. I'd just change the wheels, Clean it up, And drive it.

6. ParkerFya

ParkerFya

The wheels are hopefully going this week, I think steelies and white walls in the future

7. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

Bitchin' truck man! Deffinantly keep the motor, just put a T5 behind it and you'll be set! Some lowering leafs and a dropped axle out front and an afternoon spent flipping the rear axle and you're done!

8. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

Oh yeah, I kinda like '55 Ford truck too!

9. jd55f100

jd55f100
    from alabama

man thats great welcome to the 55 club.......trucks awesome

10. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

Nice truck. I got mine from my gramp to.

11. ParkerFya

ParkerFya

Thanks guys,

If I flip the rear axle will need to be C notched?

12. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

Yeah, I'd notch it, there is some clearance but it could use a little more. We flipped the rear end in mine and there was only two inches between the axle and the frame. I think a two inch notch would do the trick!

13. conormulroney

conormulroney

Great looking truck! I love the Y-Block with the fender well headers. With those, I'd consider a slight rake, a trio of carbs, steelies, no caps and black wall cheater slicks.

Conor

14. ParkerFya

ParkerFya

I do digg that idea, that is kinda the plan for now give it somewhat of a drag look cause if i drop the front the exhaust will have to be redone.

The truck also came with a dual quad manifold, Just need to find some carbs

15. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Looks like a great start, Nice. I can't remember off hand who has it but if you plan not to use the spare tire carrier they make a patch for the fender.

16. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

fenderwell headers ! grandpa must have had a need for a little stop light action back in the day ! cool truck

17. I love Slant Cab's. Your a lucky guy to end up with such a nice one. I bought my first one in 1965 and many since, still have one. Drive it the way it is and get Hooked then decide what to do if anything. I'm just down the road a few miles from ya. I'll watch for ya at local runs maybe I can help you out now and then if needed.
    The Wizzard

18. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Cool! My '55 was my first vehicle... still got it, drivin' it, buildin' it and lovin' it! Congrats on getting that cool little pickup from gramps!

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I found mine in '71, no engine, trans, or wheels...truck had been stolen, stripped, vandalized. Body was perfect, no rust, no dents, chrome bumpers, grille, hand brake...
    I replaced all the glass, dropped in a 350/350 Chev (gifts from a customer) and have used it as a shop truck, Bonneville support vehicle, used it for our honeymoon, and it has run in the low 13 second bracket at Baylands in the '80s, with mufflers & street tires. Maybe I'll paint it, it's been red oxide and black primer for years...Love it!

20. Great truck! Will look good with steelies and a slight drop. Ya might check out Sid with droppedaxles.com for an axle and all the linkage... He's right down the street from us and is always very helpful...

21. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

When you going to update your build thread?

22. Neat truck, congratulations.

I got mine from somebody elses grandpa.

23. capone1680

capone1680

Nice Truck, Make sure you keep us updated on your progress.

24. ParkerFya

ParkerFya

Cleaned out the tank and finally got to drive it today.

The steering is really loose, is there an adjustment screw on the box somewhere?

25. Matthew

Matthew
    from Burien, WA

Nice. I own a '53; they are great trucks...

26. There is a combination of bearing adjustment and sector gear end play you can do. The free play may not all be in the gear box. Check your king pins, wheel bearings and tie rod ends. Air pressuer can also cause them to wander.
    The Wizzard

27. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Have you seen the "Black Pearl" built by HRCC? That'd be something to shoot for! Looks like you've got a really good start!

28. ParkerFya

ParkerFya

There is about 5-6 inches of play. We checked the king pins and bearing, there was very little to movement in them, maby less than 1/16" on the right side

The steering wheel can move about 5 inches before it gets tight and begins to turn

29. Block the movement of the Pitman arm then move the steering wheel. If the wheel still moves the same then the issues are in the gear box. Next grab the wheel and pull up and down to check for bearing load. That's adjustable by a multi gasket pack under the bottom plate. The last thing you do is adjust the sector gear end play.
    The Wizzard

30. Good job! Glad to hear you're keepin' the Y! :D When you are ready there are all sorts of things you can do to make that thing run. ;)