Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT Which Welder To Buy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krackerjack88, Apr 21, 2010.

1. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Alright so i'm here starting to do ALL my own fab work and i'm looking for a welder of my own. Yeah we have one at the shop but I want to buy my own first welder. I've been doing alot of reseach and wanted to know what you guys thought would be a first good welder. I do have experience and am looking for a mig (that runs on tank). I know Miller,Hobart, Lincoln are all good buys. What size I guess is what i'm looking for.

Thanks, KJ

2. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

hobart 187...cant beat it for the price

3. jerry sezar

jerry sezar

You can't go wrong with Lincoln or Miller. I use a small Lincoln SP175 MIG for small stuff and tacking and a Millermatic 200 for bigger stuff. 99% of the time we TIG using a small Lincoln Square Wave 175 with an air cooled torch or a 300/300 Lincoln with water cooled torch. Buy quality stuff and it will last you a lifetime....I know.

4. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

5. shortbed65

shortbed65
    from ne Ill

I had a Lincoln SP125 that seemed a little weak until I upgraded the garage wiring to 12ga ...woke little that box up!.......now own a Hobart Beta -Mig 251
    ....btw Hobart and Miller are owned by ITW

6. blt2go

blt2go

i've had a millermatic 200 for 24 years and no problems, added a tweco gun about 10 yrs ago and that's it besides gas and wire. i have the spot weld control but seldom use it. it'll do anything i need from sheet metal to repairing plows and building all the fun stuff that goes with a welder. you know like welding tables, roller stands, welder cart, and all the stuff i normally break a new welder in on.

7. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

I use a millermatic 211 it repalce the 210 its 110 or 220works grate. holbart is millers hobbie line. holbart uses miller mig guns. I like the miller my self . The 110 or 220 I can take it anywhere and use it. but thats my .02

8. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

I'm leaning towards the Millermatic 180. Now this should alow me to do chassis work also right?

9. g-lover51

g-lover51
    from Dallas Ga

Okay, sorry to steal your post but I just bought my first welder for 85 dollars. It is a craftsman 100ac infinate amp arc welder. Is this a good welder?

10. PeeVee

PeeVee

I just bought a Miller 211 I was going to buy a 180 miller but splurged at the last minute. The 110 220 is cool and you get a 200 amp maichine. Also switch is all ready there for AC spool gun. Mine welds awesome and the auto wire feed seems to be spot on.

11. gsport

gsport

i agree with boneyard... the millermatic 211 is a great machine, what more can you ask for, having your choice of 110 or 220... and with the autoset feature, it's a no-brainer setting it up, even a cave man could do it..... lol

12. Crease

Crease

Love my Hobart Handler

13. Domino

Domino

I just bought a Hobart Handler 187. I like it. I am just learning to weld, but everything I read about this machine was good. I bought mine at Tractor Supply.

14. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

And the duty cycle percentage? How long can you weld for with Miller 180 Compared to the 211?

15. ttarver

ttarver
    from austin

I've got a Miller 180 w/autoset and it is the tits!

16. skullhat

skullhat

we use a miller 211 at the shop as a second welder and its great. most of the time it gets reached for first as its easy to move around and will do a variety of jobs. and you can plug it in anywhere

skull

17. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Splurged! Millermatic 211 I got today. Ah... Why do I like nice things?! Pocket hurts now. :(:D

18. chevy3755

chevy3755

i have red 175 tig ......and a red mig

19. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

it's that time of the week again... lol, I'm betting there are a couple hundred "what welder should I buy" threads...

miller or lincoln... 220...

20. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Any GOOD quality , name brand 220v MIG welder will do the trick .
    Miller & Lincoln are the most common ones you will see use all using . Buy one that you can get ANY part welded on your project strong the first time . There are many good ones but find one that meets your needs . Go on line and see what Miller and Lincoln have to offer ON THEIR SITES ! That way you find out what their complete line of welders are and what each one does to fit your needs .
    Happy welding !

Retro Jim

21. thebronc4019

thebronc4019
    from New Jersey

Spend the money now and buy a Miller, Years from now it will still be giving you good service

22. shawnspeed

shawnspeed
    from Attica Mi

Not to discourage anyone from buying a a MIG/TIG/SMAW, but the most Universal welder you can get is a good 'ol fashioned O/A Gas welding/cutting set..with a proper range of cutting/heating(rosebud) and welding tips....not only will your welds be nicer in the long run you can cut /braze/ heat stubborn bolts, shrink sheet metal , and weld. I still find gas welding relaxing :D and you don't need a 'hundered dollar helmit to use it ...or a plug for that matter:D Shawn

23. cal1954

cal1954
    from Omaha, NE

Everyone will give you advice. Its a no brainer stick with a miller or lincoln only. I weld all day everyday and use a bunch of different machines. The new welders are light years ahead of the older ones! Buy the miller 211 like you said. You will be very happy. You get alot out of that machine for the price. Pretty sure the 211 welds 3/8 single pass both carbon and aluminum. That should have you covered for what you want.

24. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Buy the biggest one you can afford. Down the road you will build bigger and better things. I bought an iron worker years ago ($7000) and for another $1700 I could have doubled my capacity. Still kicking myself for that one. Cheap when buying equipment doesn't equate to saving money...

25. A good buddy of mine just bought the new Millermatic 211 with the autoset deal and that thing is the shit! I have hardly any welding experience, I tried it 1 time about 3 years ago and basically made a mess, and after about an hour on that thing I was making some pretty kick ass welds for a beginner just farting around with it. I'm buying one as soon as $$ permits. Worth every damn penny. everybody will get magical welded "art" pieces for Christmas haha.

26. pauls fords

pauls fords

Use a HTP 160 DV [dual voltage 120- 220] if it breaks they will help you fix it over the phone, no need to bring it to a welding shop for repairs,plus they sell wire parts and pieces. Also use their Plasma cutter, have had them for 10 yrs use them almost every day with no problems,come with extras that you have to pay extra for when buying the others, get their catalog, you wouldn't be dissapointed. 1-800-USA WELD

27. Scott Hightower

Scott Hightower
    from Georgia

Yes Miller is top notch. Throw ESAB & Hobart in the mix as well though. Stay with a MIG for versatility and ease of use.
    These days there are many MIG's that operate on 110volt that will get the job done for sheet metal work.
    Scott
    welders360.com