Register now to get rid of these ads!

what to consider when choosing the right windshield for your roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by erlomd, Apr 11, 2010.

1. erlomd

erlomd

cool! a wanlass windshield! nice....i was wondring...when you installed the windshield, did you have to install the pillars at that angle or can you put it so that its maybe an 1" or 2 not as raked....love your roadster BTW!
    awesome:cool:

2. erlomd

erlomd

i like the seat height your head is at in those pics...i want the seat height to be at least shoulder hight like in that pic! im 6"1 though, so it might be a problem...

3. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

A buddy of mine has one of those windshields , and it does a better job than a chopped stock one ,as far as wind deflection .

4. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I'm only 5'9 and the seats pretty low . You might be sitt'in on the floor !!

5. Chuck R

Chuck R

I am 5'11" with a 32" inseam. My seat is pretty low. The top of my shoulder is just below the side of the body. I will try to find a better pic. 2 " chopped windshield, slightly laid back.

[​IMG]

6. Yes, I took some liberties with the rake angle and had to do a tiny bit of finessing to the cowl to close up a gap as a result of my "adjustments".

7. EVANS and 3 97s

EVANS and 3 97s

In my observations,when you see a guy with his cap on backward ,he is sitting too high.There is also a rule[unwritten],if you can see the hood/grille shell,you are sitting too high.Not really about windshields but relevant.

8. On my 27T roadster that I built about 13 years ago, I built a Duvall style windshield on it, and to stay within a sense of reasonable proportion, I din't make the windshield ridiculously high. It looked 'just right" from the side, but my head (from my nose up) stuck up above the damned windshield. This wasn't such a terribly big deal, because the wind lift created by the wind flowing up over the windshield created a "calm" area where my head was, and I didn't get nearly as much wind buffeting as you would think. Small insects got carried up over my head as well in this upflow of air. The REAL PROBLEM though, was that bumble bees, dragonflys, and low flying aircraft were too heavy to get lofted over my head. They came straight on though at 60 MPH and hit me in the face. After damn near losing an eye to a dragonfly, I wouldn't drive it anymore without a goofy looking pair of roadster goggles, which was a royal pain in the ass.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  9. erlomd

erlomd

thats funny!

10. erlomd

erlomd

that looks about right, side view soon pls

11. Nimrod

Nimrod

12. THE SPEED ADDICT

THE SPEED ADDICT

The very first pic that was posted has may vote!

The laid-back look for me!

13. seatex

seatex

14. daddyo

daddyo

off subject but what tires r u running chuck?

15. erlomd

erlomd

16. bct

bct

model A's have a gas cap on the top of the cowl....not a vent...even the "vent" on a T is a gas flap....

17. erlomd

erlomd

nimrod...I was just told that is yours...thats a beautiful windshield....did you acquire it or modified it from a hallock?

18. Nimrod

Nimrod

It was acquired! And not a Hallock.

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Was that picture taken up on Skyline? Awesome.

20. Nimrod

Nimrod

Up on Skyline at "windy hill" in the morning on my last drive to work in that car with a transporter waiting to take it to flat old Texas.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  21. hotrodroadster32

hotrodroadster32
    from Mass

2 inch chop,laid back 30 degrees,not a problem with the top off,can see as well with it on.

Attached Files:

• 021.jpg
      021.jpg
      File size:
      187.5 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      197.4 KB
      Views:
  22. Great Post!!

23. erlomd

erlomd

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]saw this roadster on ebay and really liked the wind shield....looks like a so cal frame without the top portion and a cut glass....i could be wrong

24. erlomd

erlomd

i dont know..looks like a chopped so cal windshield....I wonder how much of a pain in the ass would it be to fab up a top for something like that

25. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Certainly good advice. But dumb old us we mostly choose things because they look cool and then only when it's too late do we find out our trick parts are awkward, in the wrong place to be really useful, unsafe, stupid, etc.. For example, how many of you can actually see to the rear / have good rearward vision with Peeps? Dumbest mirrors in the world.

Anyway, if I ever get to build a roadster I'd like my windshield laid back a little, and with a full metal frame (for the noted top attachments). I also think I'd like it completely removable for track days. For 32's and below, just flat glass. For most 33s and later, probably Vee'd, as it looks far better with the shape of those grills and bodys.

I'd never use a frame with the top edge of the glass exposed. If you do, and then lean it back just right, there is a very good chance you'll scalp yourself when if you have a heavy impact of the frontal nature. Or worse. One of them chicken with it's head cut off deals.

Off the soap box, into the crowd. Gary

26. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

I like em all, but its hard to beat the duval style, I picked up this one on ebay a few years back. I think it has "wescott" cast into the bottom of it. I was surprised it fit the model A cowl as well as it does. Now if I could just get it plated.[​IMG][/IMG]

27. erlomd

erlomd

yeah its preety tough to beat a duval windshield...nice fit there!

28. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Numbers 1,4 and 5 of your original showing look nice, first vote to number one.

29. erlomd

erlomd

yeah, thats my fav...so far as well, its a stan wanlass winshield with the top portion removed to expose the glass....looks classy, but i wonder if theirs a way to install it with not so much of a rake..like just a few degree´s

30. Chuck R

Chuck R

I spoke with a guy who has a Wanlass and he says it really cuts through the air good. The angle and curve of the glass reduces the turbulence that the driver feels.