Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rusty 47 Ford Reserection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by koolkemp, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Dammit

Dammit
    from Canada

Wow, Koolkemp, that's a lot of work. I admire your metal work and your dedication. Can't wait to see it in person.

2. LBCD

LBCD

Wow...I'm sure this will turn out great! You done good with that rusty girl!

3. koolkemp

koolkemp

Next up was gettin the my $175. 305 and turbo 350 set up between the rails, I used the early small block side mounts and some home made supports, Flatheadfever kindly donated a double hump trans crossmember (Thanks Dude!) which I had to modify abit to fit the oddball shape of the S10 frame. I will box in the cutout I made for the mechanical fuel pump , didnt want to deal with an electric one.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  4. koolkemp

koolkemp

And here she is about a moth or so ago outside for the 1st time on her new frame ! Feels great to see it like this. I didnt want to channel the body so instead once I get more mock up done I will lower the frame by using whatever works out, prolly de-arched springs and blocks, front springs and maybe spindles , might break the budget though ! I still have more pics to get up to date so I will add some during the week so keep checkin if ya wanna see more . Here a couple of crappy pics of the ends of the tranny crossmember as well. I made it so I could move the crossmember back a bit if I ever go overdrive.

Steve

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

oliver westlund likes this.
  5. koolkemp

koolkemp

It should look quite a bit different by then , I will let the cat outta the bag this week :p

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks ! Pick up a rusty shitbox for yourself you will be surprised how quickly your skills will improve!

7. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

MAN! You sure have a pile of work done!
    Lookin great!
    That's it. I'm going outside to try to get something done....

As soon as Dammit and I can get up there we will.

8. koolkemp

koolkemp

Lookin forward to it Joe !

9. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

wow, joe showed me this post.. looks great.

10. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks Rick , you will have to make it down this summer sometime, we should do a Nova Scotia HAMB get together lol, must be 7 or 8 of us by now !

11. 416Ford

416Ford

I don't know Steve.... Seems like your surprise will take away the "FAMILY CRUISER" aspect that you started out with. With your skills I would start from a fresh find.
    Hope I didn't give to mush away with that.:D

12. Holy cats thats alot of work! Good for you!-don't quit now the fun part is just beginning

13. koolkemp

koolkemp

Lol ya figured it out eh!! I have a salvageable 51 Merc more door thats a little worse than this car started out as...so it has become the future "year round beater" No build thread on it for a while though !

14. koolkemp

koolkemp

Ok heres a few more pics as promised a local friend gave me the old column out of his 58 Chevy , free is good so I have that all mounted up, ignore the ugly nuts and bolts I will use somethin nice for final assy, I also ended up using the S10 pedal assy and master/booster, the damn thing was all spot welded into the S10 I cut it out with a torch before I scrapped the cab in case I needed it, once I cleaned all the excess crap off it it went in pretty nice, I did have to straighten out the brake pedal to clear the column , some heat and a 3lb hammer did the trick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Geeze! What are you? Another one of those guys who never sleep??

16. koolkemp

koolkemp

I also made a small cover to hide the wiring for the column and fill in the orig hole for the column in the 59 dash, it needs more welding and grinding but it should look pretty good after the dash gets blasted mudded and painted...I have 59 and 61 Impala steering wheels that i could use what do you guys think? I would use the 58 wheel but what you see is all I got...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. koolkemp

koolkemp

Ok I know some of you figured out my evil plan :D heres what led to the change in direction...a $200. Merc coupe and 47 Monarch parts cars ! Technically it could still be a family car cause theres just the 3 of us! My plan is to amputate the roof and whats left of the upper quarters to the sedan body, and after thats all mocked up chop the sucker good !! Its all Riksters fault (well mostly ) there are just too many cool chopped coupes on his site , and I have loved the old Sam Foose coupe that he built in the early 70's...I still have the magazine I bought with it on the cover when I was 8 or 9 yrs old. So heres a few pics of these gems , I dont think I have ever bought anything rustier than this coupe , but surprisingly the roof is really good, the drip rails hadnt even rusted off yet:p, these pics were sent to me by the guy I bought it from the flathead was already long gone . It is (was) a Canadian Merc that used the Ford 114" wheelbase chassis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. koolkemp

koolkemp

And heres the remains of the 47 Monarch (1st year for them ) I am gonn use a few of the unique Monarch pieces on the car somehow, maybe the squeekers will think I cut up a super rare Monarch coupe lol!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. koolkemp

koolkemp

Heres the day I went to get it with my stepfather...I cant believe it held together to be able to drag it from the back of the guys yard to the truck and then get it on the trailer , you should see this guys yard he even has 4 of the mobile homes from the Trailer Park Boys Movie jammed in there ! The only cool old stuff was these cars though. I took some of the loose Monarch parts but still have to go back for the main part of the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. koolkemp

koolkemp

So I cleaned some of the shit out of it, even found a really nice pair of wiper arms :D . I think I can salvage the seat frames and combine them with the sedan ones to make a set, but that will be a long way down the road when I could afford it for the time being there will be some semi ugly late model buckets, so the challenge was to try and repair and stabalize the rear quarters and trunk opening enough to be able to transplant it on the sedan body....some of the welds look crappy cause it was pretty windy and some of the patches are just to hold areas together that will get cut off when the two halves are joined together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. koolkemp

koolkemp

The drivers side was the worst..it was rustier and had been pushed in and twisted probably from being moved around...I got it tacked into place but it still didnt look right have to try and fit the trunk lid on then match the quarter to that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. ken1939

ken1939

I thought I saw a master from N. S. in the name of Sid Crosby, but now there is another, accept he can weld!

Wow nice fab work. Your learning curve is off the charts on this one. Methodical and with a direction. Your hughe pictures are KILLING me though:D

Keep up the great work, cant wait to see more.

23. koolkemp

koolkemp

Last weekend the weather was shit..cold and rainy so I rigged up a tarp and went to work...wife was worried I was gonna set the tarp on fire while I was under it , so there arent any pics of the removal, repair and re attachment of the drivers quarter and the fitting of the trunklid, I also got a bunch of conduit welded in for bracing, If I can find a few bodies to help me lift it off I should have it off this Sat woo hoo ! Then I can blast it and get it ready for the transplant.

[​IMG]http:

[IMG]http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/koolkemp/1947%20Ford%20year%20round%20beater%20project/IMG_0202_edited-4.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. freebird101

freebird101

amazing stuff man

25. koolkemp

koolkemp

The trunk lid is pretty bad it was bent pretty bad on the drivers side , I had to make relief cuts in a few places on the inner framework to pull it back into shape If I get lucky I might find another trunklid around here (not likely) so I am hoping I can use the good sedan one and take the bottom from it to save the coupe one. And thats pretty much up to date on the pics hopefully this weekend will be productive , I gotta go to Toronto for a training coarse for work the 1st week of May so I wanna get as much done by then as I can.

[​IMG]http:

[IMG]http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/koolkemp/1947%20Ford%20year%20round%20beater%20project/IMG_0203-4.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks guys ! I love big pics lol I had to upgrade the Photobucket cause I exceeded the bandwidth already since I started the thread, Maybe I can teach Sid the Kid to weld when he brings the cup back this summer eh !

27. palepainter

palepainter

You sir, have some serious balls. I have to say that this gets the Diamond out of Dogshit award of the year. Just wanted to give you mad props for bringing back to life what most guys would have turned into fertilizer.

Great work, I am bookmarking this thread.

28. Squablow

Squablow

I am loving this. Great work so far, I love the idea of using the 4 door as a base for the coupe roof to transplant. And also, who says a family car has to be a 4 door? Does the coupe have a back seat? Kids don't mind crawling into the back of a cool car.

Keep up this motivation, it's really fun to follow along when you're making this kind of progress.

29. philo426

philo426

Man you couldn't pay anyone to do what you are doing!To take cars that most would consider too far gone and re-build them takes serious dedication.Kudos!

30. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

your car is worse then mine was,, and my car was total crap, you saw it,lol... but its getting there.. we do need a NS/NB HAMB meet,, when our cars are done we need to set something up.

[​IMG]