Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Flathead Spark Plugs ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frenchy32, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

Which spark plugs is everyone using on their Ford flathead V8 ( Champion H10 / H10 C or which other plugs are you using or recommend using ). And what is the gap that you are setting them at.

Thanks
    Frenchy

2. chopperbilly

chopperbilly

champions got a bad rep so i run NGK or motorcraft. I saw info about that on here. do search you should find good info.

3. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

NGK B6L's or B4L's if you need a little hotter plug........I swear by them and you know you can trust me!

CB

oldbanger71 likes this.
  4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I've got H10C's in mine, they seem to work fine but I've only got about 75 miles on the car.:rolleyes: Running an old Mallory Dual point and they're gapped at .030". What's wrong with the Champions?

5. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

B6L or B4L NGK
    216 Autolite
    H10C Champion

Careful with the Champions in aluminum - their threads don't seem to be cut as well as they used to be (cut vs rolled?). Some folks have better luck with a particular brand - I've run all three in various engines - some engines like one over the other, and other engines don't seem to care at all.

6. Fairlane

Fairlane
    from Australia

Just got my flat motor off the dyno. The tuner sent me off to get NGK plugs as he didn't like the Champions that were in it. Personally I dont think there was a difference, but it sure runs sweet with NGKs in there.

7. tbone1951

tbone1951
    from COLORADO

NGK work the best for me

8. SAFU

SAFU
    from Arizona

Japanese spark plugs in a Ford flatty? :eek:

Dudes, that can't be old school !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very uncool. :p

Put a little anti-seize on the Champion threads, and they should work just fine. :cool:

SAFU

buelligan likes this.
  9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Are Champions still made in the USA?

10. SAFU

SAFU
    from Arizona

Oh lordy, please tell me they are. Otherwise I won't be able to sleep tonight. :eek:

buelligan likes this.
  11. j ripper

j ripper
    from napa ca.

i use the ngk b6L. could not find them around here recently, so i went back to the trusty autolite 216.

12. Butch11443

Butch11443

I run 437 Autolites in my Offy heads. Have longer thread for the thicker heads.
    Work fine.
    Butch

13. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

Autolite 216 for me..

14. mtflat

mtflat

Only Autolite 216's here.... in Ford stock EAB heads. Haven't tried the NKG's

I've never been able to run Champions in a Ford without it spitting and sputtering.

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I had Champion H10's in and now I am running NGK BL6s. Seem to run great!

16. Thanks to everyone on this subject great help Jeffrey James you are now using NGK B6L I will try them on my V12 Lincoln and see if I see the difference.

Thanks again everybody
    Frenchy

17. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

I have called a few stores today including Napa and no one carries the NGK B4L's or NGK B6L's how about the Autolite 216 are they a hotter plug.

Thanks
    Frenchy

oldbanger71 likes this.
  18. 2002p51

2002p51

I run the Autolite 216s in Edelbrock aluminum heads with a Pertronix in the distributor. Absolutely no issues. They've been in there so long, I've forgotten what they're gapped at!

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Well after a couple weeks of running the BL6's I can tell you that it's running really good right now. I got my plugs from O'Reiley's. They had told me they were not stokcing the champions anymore. I think I might go and pick up 5 sets of the BL6's just to keep around. I really should have an extra set in the car.

oldbanger71 likes this.
  20. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Silly question. but can one run the NGK B6L's on a 8BA, still with a 6V system?

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I would imagine so but don't quote me on it. The B6L is a direct replacement for the H10 that Champion provided. I assume that the plug would still work when jumping from a 6 to 12v.

22. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Seems to me that the firing of the plug is more a function of the voltage from your coil, right? My guess would be that 6V vs. a 12V system doesn't make a difference........correction welcome if I am wrong on that.....

One other thing that I know for sure is that if you find you might want a hotter spark, try a set of NGK B4L's.........I am running a set right now for evaluation.........seems to run quite strong though......

CB

23. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

What is the "s" at the end of the part # NGK B4L's

Frenchy

24. champions will fowl prety easy, never really had problems with autolite or motorcraft

25. Off topic but Love trailer park boys Bubbles is my favorite

26. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

If you mean the stock number it's #3112. My flatty with two carbs and a Max 1 cam really likes the B4L.

oldbanger71 likes this.
  27. Thanks !!

Frenchy

28. otis firefly

otis firefly

Champions BAD.... Autolite GOOD!

29. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I have the same trouble with champions... Spitting and sputtering .. Threaded in some ngk and it ran like a top! Champions used to be a fantastic plug... And as most things with the new day and age they have gone way down hill