Register now to get rid of these ads!

getting my 1951 ford f-1 on the ground

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tbone1951, Apr 21, 2010.

1. tbone1951

tbone1951
    from COLORADO

i have a 51 ford f-1 i want to get it down on the ground. doing it right but cost effective, needing suggestions.

2. tbone1951

tbone1951
    from COLORADO

3. To get really low you need to swap to IFS. Also easier to airbag IFS than solid axle, but both can be done with fab skills if you want to make it sit on the ground and still be able to raise up to drive. Dropped solid axle and rearched leaf pack can get you pretty low with stock type suspension. IFS can bedone with front clip swap or Must II or Jag.

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

5. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, that is a great thread. Following a lot of the advice there to drop my F1.

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Yes ... I have been eyeing a 48 pickup myself.
    Been trying to get the price down a little :)

I plan on using a LOT of the information on my new project ... If I buy it ...

7. havi

havi

Ditto on that other thread. 48, eh... Mercury?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  8. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>,This is my old buddy Bob's '48 ,,using a Volarie trosion bar front suspension ,,the ride height is totally adjustable ,,from in da weeds to several inches up ,,,easy to install too ,,
    Bob owns 'the Adult Toy Factory" in Las Cruces ,New ,Mexico ,
    [​IMG]

9. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The thing I like about the other thread is each step is something I could start on a Friday evening and have the truck back on the road Monday morning. Which is key since it's my daily.

10. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

This is mine with a early Camaro clip and triangle with coil over rear suspension. The front sheet metal not on it yet but you can see its low.

Attached Files:

11. TERPU

TERPU

CCT dropped axle, reverse eye springs, and take a few of the short ones out and it'll be low. In the back you can reverse those eyes as well and take a few out. When you reverse the rears though you have to trim the front spring mount out just enough to get the spring back in. When you are done put some big and littles on it and call it done. Unless you want it to lay frame, if that's the case then you need sub-frame and Airbags.

Tim

[​IMG]

12. Hey Terpu,

How many louvers are in that hood?

13. tbone1951

tbone1951
    from COLORADO

you all rock thanks and im sure i will be asking lots more things to perfect my truck i will post pics to show you all how it is going.... once again thank you all

14. 2manyprojects

2manyprojects

Yea I agree with the Volarie IFS , works real well with these F1's Got 1 on my 51 panel drives Sweeet. I'm just missing this sweet thing. Would like to have her show me the back of this Panel:eek::eek:

15. tbone1951

tbone1951
    from COLORADO

she could show me what ever she wanted to....that truck is beautiful..... thanks for info...