Register now to get rid of these ads!

Not sure what wirring harness or company to go with. Ron francis or American autowire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 ford custom, Apr 21, 2010.

1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Remember, plugs for the various circuits aren't that hard to ad in as you go. Sure makes a big difference when your trying to remove something big like an instrument cluster.

2. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Last year I installed a harness from American AutoWire into HomemadeHardtop57's Model A - it was a quality kit . A few extra circuits left unused in his application (can add stuff later) , and I installed a SignalStat turn signal setup (i.e. not a GM unit) . The install went smoothly , as expected . My Shoebox will most likely get one when the time comes .

3. Blown Mopar

Blown Mopar
    from abc

I can't talk to harnesses, but I have used AAW fuse panels in the last two builds I did. I liked the compactness of it. It had some pretty good general instructions and I really liked the audio alarm that sounds if you blow a fuse. It sounds the alarm until you turn it off. Nice to know if you are driving a black coupe on a dark night and you blow a tail light fuse. My car is pretty basic, doesn't have AC/heat or big sound system or other stuff. My wife Model A was more complex. The AAR panels were able to work in both. If you don't need the harness you can find some pretty neat panels in the salvage yard. Cheap.

4. 29NashRod

29NashRod
    from Portland

Sounds like there are a lot of good choices here, but the last car I did, I used a Centech kit and was very impressed at the quality and ease of the directions. Plus, if you aren't using all the circuits, the wires can simply be left off the fuse block so there's no coiling, and it's all contained in a brushed aluminum cover.

5. fbama73

fbama73

I've been leaning towards Rebel for a harness for the Chevy. Learning that their harnesses are soldered to the fuse block absolutely seals the deal.

I see clips as opportunities for bad connections. I know that they've used in factory wiring harnesses for eons with little to no problems. But I'm going to build my elec system with as much soldering and as few clips as possible. And any crimps will also be soldered. It will take longer, but I'll be praising the man who taught me super anal industrial electricity the whole time.

Glenn, the tax man hit us hard this year. As soon as my ass stops bleeding and I get dug out a bit, I'll be giving you a call!

6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I moderate the 52-56 Ford social group and also cruise thru hotrodders.com everyone that has used a Rebel Wire kit has given Glenn a big thumbs up for a couple reasons,He is as near as your phone to provide help if needed and it is USA made without killing your budget.So support a fellow HAMBer! That being said a lot of the after market kits out there tend to be "GM friendly" so if you have a Ford or Mopar you want a company that can help you thru the tech mods.

7. Ron Francis. Hands down. I've installed the Bare Bonz harness in my '50 Dodge and my '54 Chevy. Love it. Absolutely THE best. But, that's just my 2 cents, just as with the rest of these posts. Good luck with whatever you choose.

8. SpazTaztic

SpazTaztic

Do any of the Alliance Vendors carry the AAW harnesses?

9. heath brinkley

heath brinkley

I know this isn't one of your options, but... I just put a 21 circuit EZ wiring kit in a '57 chevy. I only needed 8 (it's a bare bones car) but the 21 was so cheap I went with it (in case I ever sell it). It was 1/2 the price of other harnesses. Their tech dept answers the phone if you have any questions, which I did, and they answered them with ease. I'll use them again whenever needed. They advertise in street rodder, rod and custom, and others. In Bunnell, Florida.

10. zzford

zzford

I'm happy with my Walmart Wireing Kit. It is hard to see through the smoke sometimes.

11. flathead A

flathead A
    from michigan

I just bought a haywire harness,going to put it in my coupe.Once it's done I will leave a post on how it worked.

12. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

My buddy Gary(automotive genuis)and I just finished installing a Rebel Wire harness in my truck early last week.
    When the truck was built,I used a 71 M#nte C#rlo harness as it was easy to figure out,free and the wire was long enough.
    Seeing Rebel Wire being given glowing reports on here,I bought the 9+3 harness and we dove into the truck.

How I'd Grade RebelWire:
    Price....A+

Quality..A (I replaced the flashers almost immediately.Off shore units didn't make me happy.Aside from that,everyone's that seen the harness has been impressed and I have shown it to a number of friends.)

Labeled wire and bundled setup...A+

Length of wire included in the setup....A++ (I mounted my fuse block over on the passenger side of the firewall as I'm right-handed and everything is on the drs side-column,pedals,oil dipstick,hood release,etc.I wanted ease of operation in this deal.Routing the wires is simple with the extra length they build into the harness.)

Schematic...C (The directives were a bit vague and some areas of the wiring plan weren't covered,but Glenn and Bob ARE TWO OF THE BEST COMPANY REPRESENTATIVES I'VE EVER DEALT WITH.
    I had questions and Bob was cool and answered everything I threw at him.
    Great job,Fellas!

When we finished (we took our time,had BBQ,insulated all the wiring under the frame and hood) we hit the key and NO problems.

This was a great learning experience for me and the harness didn't jump right into place.I earned the wiring while I learned the wiring.Like a guy on here says,if it doesn't make you dirty-it ain't yours?

Would I buy from RebelWire again? Yep! In a heartbeat!
    They're great fellas to deal with during and after the sale.

I met R.F. years ago and swore I'd never buy from him ever because of his crappy attitude.His name is on the product and he didn't represent his product very well?
    That's half the deal to me.

13. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Here's another vote for Rebel Wire. I had a dumb question on a Saturday afternoon (very late in the evening), and placed a call to Glenn, who picked up the phone and helped me through it. Try that with any of the mass-production vendors. My next kit will also be purchased from Glenn. Top notch, man.

14. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I've installed Painless, Ron Francis, and a bottom feeder brand. It cost more to go with Ron Francis, but I feel it is worth it. I'll always use theirs. don't forget the quality of those who sell it. R.F. stands behind theirs 100% and are always easy to talk to. made in America, with aircraft quality wire. I held a match to the wire for 30 seconds with no sign of burning.

15. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Now that's some funny stuff....

16. Spike!

Spike!

I work at Ron Francis so my job depends on each harness being the best I can make it. We only use quality materials, so the cost will be higher. No way around that. If you want cheap, go with someone else. You get what you pay for.

Spike

17. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I purchased a Ron Francis Wiring harness, I feel the product is top quality, I also bought all the support equipment for the entire electrical system for my vehicle from them, expensive but worth it. Easy to install, easy to trace out. I would buy the product again. If they work on their people skills they would make it easier for me to get other people to like them as well.:rolleyes:

18. Jims35

Jims35

American autowire in my 35 chevy. I just wish they made an easy adapter to use ford turn signals without having to splice in to the harness.

19. 8flat

8flat

Same EZ kit here. I soldered and shrink-wrapped all connectors. All wiring was black, which made it look nice under the hood. Wire seems to be very good quality.

20. heath brinkley

heath brinkley

Not knocking Ron Francis stuff. I have a Ron Francis wiring harness in another car, top notch. I went with the EZ wiring harness on this project and got exactly what I paid for in the Ron Francis kit, only for half the price of a Ron Francis harness. Top quality wire, colored, labled every 5 inches to where it needs to go, fuses, alt. plug, steering column harness, ect. exceptional cust. service, very helpful, answered questions immediatly and correctly.

I was very happy with the Ron Francis kit, but money don't always come easy. If you feel the same, save a bundle and get a EZ wiring kit and you won't be dissapointed. If money does come easy, get a Ron Francis harness, you won't be dissapointed with it either.

21. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I would go with Glenn33 right here on the HAMB ! They are AMERICAN made in the USA ! If there is a problem you can contact Glenn right away and he will talk you through your problem . I have personally seen his wiring harness and I would stack them up to all the higher priced ones anytime !
    I am going to use a Rebal harness when I rewire my 55 Ford !

Retro Jim