Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Is an Allard J2X a Hot Rod?? Limeworks thinks so..update 01-11-10

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32gal, Jan 7, 2010.

1. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

Ther is a restoration shop in Cincinnati, OH that does Allards. there are several in there now. The shop is named "Zakira's Garage" I have a phone number if you want to pm me

2. That's Dean Butlers place if I remember correctly.
    He's a great Allard guy.

3. My dad raced against Allards in the 50's and from his description of them and how much he liked them, yeah they are hot rods! I've seen loads racing at Laguna Seca and they never fail to impress, ever!

4. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

We saw Brian Deitz's car today & it is stunning , I think Randy will post photos later on. He is going to give me all the resto guy info & where to get the correct parts from. What a nice guy , he'd fit in here a proper car guy ( nuts for motorcycles too ) his Dad bought his Allard J2X in 1969 .

5. cruzr

cruzr

As`Steve said we visited a guy today who has a completely, correctly, restored Allard. Besides wanting to see the car it was good to get reference on a lot of things. Had a great time, spent about 2 hrs with him and his beautifull Allard.

Attached Files:

6. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Nice pix there Randy , thanks for posting.

7. cruzr

cruzr

Ok....After a short hiatus,Limeworks is back on the Allard. The car has all sheetmetal removed now and stripped . The tedious process of panel beating the tired old aluminum is underway. Several spots had to be cut out and replaced. Now the fun begins,it should start taking shape as a finished car shortly.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. Cool Pix! Love the Allard! Hot Rod? Hell yes! :D

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. cruzr

cruzr

Limeworks is doing a fine job on the Allard, cant wait for the day when its fired up

10. Man that's nice. Years ago, we could have bought a disassembled Allard J2X that was sitting in a chicken coop. Just didn't have the funds at the time. it was all there, and powered by a 331ci Cadillac.
    -Dean

11. cruzr

cruzr

This one will be Caddy powered. So what happened to that car??

12. The woman owned that one, which was apart, and another which was all together in another barn. That one was in great shape, just clean off the dust and go. Last I knew, someone flew in from England and was assembling the one in the chicken coop right on the spot to see if everything was there (which it was). I'm 99% sure he bought it, and the other one was sold off as well. She also had the Mercedes Benz 300SL "Gullwing" that now resides in Ralph Lauren's collection. Just bad timing on our end, but I always always wish we could have gotten that car.
    -Dean

13. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

A friend of mine had a totally original one. Their motors were truely reflections of 50's hot rods be it flathead or OHV (typically Cad or Olds.).

14. Do all Allards have the split I-beam?
    Love the steering setup with the bellcrank.
    Beautiful car as I'm sure the So Cal one will be also.
    Thanks for posting.

[​IMG]

15. Allard Register

Allard Register
    from Fresyes

Most (99.5%) Allards came with the Ballemy (sp?) split front axle suspension. However, I have seen one J2 with solid, one piece front axle.

16. 22dodge

22dodge
    from Nevada

Great job on the Allard, Steve.

One of the very few things I miss about living in So. Cal. is being able to stop by
    your shop and watch you and the crew work your magic on projects like this.
    It was always a treat and great motivation. Ken

17. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

Definitely a HOT ROD!

18. cruzr

cruzr

Ok..........progress report........metal work is preety much done on front,rear has to be pulled off now and worked over. The fit is great on the seams now and a lot of bad metal has been removed and patched back in . Cant wait to see some paint on this baby...........

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. Any further yet??

Can't wait to see progress.

20. cruzr

cruzr

Jerry............ Bodywork is just about completed,the engine is at the machine shop. The owner has decided to go with 6 brand new 97's {the english made ones} I will be posting more pics soon.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Nice to see the progress...

22. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Yes , the body is "paintshop ready" the old aluminum came back , the sand blasting done in Hawaii didn't do too much damage & it welded just fine. Jesse here did a great job, he's now reworking the aluminum grill which was in very sorry state. I'll put some pix up today of the rolling car , less engine. We got the block & crank back from Taylor Engines ,all checked out good & they fixed the block that got dropped in Hawaii!!! magged good & now time to assemble & put a race cam in along with 6 new 97's.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. I'd be interested to know what timing curves you come up with... I'm having a hell of a job getting my 390 right with a pretty interesting solid lifter cam (260 degrees at 0.050 lift) It's sooo close, yet so far from being spot on.
    Six 97's. I can only dream!

24. Allard Register

Allard Register
    from Fresyes

Steve,
    How's the J2X coming along?

25. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I saw it a few weeks ago. Looks great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. More when possible please.

JT

27. kustomade

kustomade
    from ENGLAND

Steve...................you look more like John Peel every day

28. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Ok time for the updated photos , were sending her to Paint now so we can concentrate on the engine , 6 new 97's atop the 331 Cad with Taylor engines doing some machine work to raise the HP level a tad.We copied a local Allard for the Roll bar & windshield pieces as they were missing on Alan's car . The last thing to do is the dash which will look killer.I'll do some photos out the back on the wheels when she leaves for paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. freebird101

freebird101

Thats on awesome looking car

30. Allard Register

Allard Register
    from Fresyes

The cars looking great Steve...can I ask what color it's being painted? Is the chassis being painted as well? (most J2's & X's were painted silver)

Also, did you ever get ahold of the door catches?

Cheers, C

volvobrynk likes this.