Register now to get rid of these ads!

1933 Chrysler Barn find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1937RR, Apr 20, 2010.

1. 1937RR

1937RR
    from Nor Cal

I get a call from my friend today and he says hey come check out what i pulled outa my grampas barn. So i go over thinking he found some old bike or somethin and I walk out to his shop and see a 99% complete 1933 Chrysler. It was beautiful. I must of walked around the car for 3 hours looking at all the details and quirky elements of the car. It was amazing to see something that had been stored and out of the elements for 31 years.

So the story as far as he knew was his grandpa bought the car in 1960 in LA and drove it until 1978. He then moved to Orland CA and parked it in the barn until my friend pulled it out in 2009.

The plan for the car is to get it running and THATS IT! No cutting No nothin just drive it. Any ideas on what its worth would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jerseymike

jerseymike

love that split windshield! good luck with it.

3. Tank

Tank

Very nice! I dig the fact its going to remain untouched. It deserves it. That dash is a neat piece too!

4. Nitro crew chief

Nitro crew chief
    from Illinois

I don't know what it's worth but it's really cool looking and as you said it has lots of details, like the split push put windshield. I like it.

5. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a neat piece of history . He needs to get a violin case with a tommy gun in it for the back seat . Glad he is not cutting it up.

6. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

thats to cool and with family history makes it all the cooler , glad he s not going to hack it up its to neat to alter

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! '33 is a great year. Looks to be in very good condition. Look at how perfectly straight the grill is!

8. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

9. Fedman

Fedman

Very Cool!!

10. 1937RR

1937RR
    from Nor Cal

Thanks for all the great comments and views! I cant wait to get into to the build. Anyone know where id find a value at?

11. adamshumard

adamshumard

I think a resto in the future would be fitting. Thats just me. New chrome and such.

12. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

it's worth keeping in the family....

13. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

I dont have a clue what the car is worth, I'll give him 10 grand and not even nit pick! LOL Jim

14. I agree, she definitely deserves some shine! Probably hard to put a value on her, not many around to compare.

15. 4woody

4woody

So cool...33 was a great year for Mopars!

16. Turbo442

Turbo442

Too cool! Have you ever seen the 33 Chrysler at the Towe Ford museum in Sac.? It's a real beauty and will provide some further encouragement to your friend to shine it up more.

17. Tires, fluids, hoses, belts. Done and have fun!!

18. I'd look in the Old Cars Value Guide found on the news stand or at the grocery store. I think NADA even has an antique car valuation
    section. Nice car!! Great find.

19. The Chryslers that had the split windshields were usually Imperials. If it is a true Imperial it was a high $$$ car in its day and worth some money now

20. slefain

slefain
    from Atlanta

Just wow! Man, clean it up and make her drive. I don't know what it is but in the last few years I have gotten a real soft spot for survivor cars. I think it is because I have seen too many "over restored" cars and have become jaded. Fantastic find. The family history makes it even more special.

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that's a classy car! gotta love the dual sidemount spares. what motor does it have?

22. 33pickemup

33pickemup

Way to nice a car to hot rod, what a sweet find!

23. 34Chrysler

34Chrysler

Kewl!!

Thanks for the pix, I can use a few of them for my car.

24. draggler

draggler

Damn what an heirloom ! Your granpappy would be proud to know it ell continue on where he left off i bet !

25. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

That's really cool. And here I thought "dual climate control" was a recent invention. ;)

26. edgeabilly

edgeabilly

It's a 1933 CHRYSLER ROYAL EIGHT.:D

27. edgeabilly

edgeabilly

A pic.

Attached Files:

28. 1937RR

1937RR
    from Nor Cal

Wow thanks for all the positive comments and support. I will be posting a build thread once we get started. Its definitely a cool piece of history that i want to preserve.

29. Correct-all 33 Chryslers had the split windshield and I believe the 32 as well. My uncle has built five 33 Chryslers: two Royal 8 sedans like this one and three cabriolet converitlbes-one six and two eights. Even the convertibles had split windshields. All five of the cars he started with were alittle on the ruff side but with lots of metal work and patience (and skill) he transformed them all into beautiful resto-rods.

Can't find any pics of the sedans but here's a shot of the second cabriolet.

I am in total agreement on enjoying that car as is. Too much family history in that one!

Attached Files:

30. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Hey, I dig your avatar! I had a 1931 Pontiac 5 window coupe, all original. That grille brought back all the memories. I'm sorry I sold it, about 15 years ago. It had some very cool details too.