Register now to get rid of these ads!

should i trade my '53 ford for a galaxie?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by young'n'poor, Apr 15, 2010.

1. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

You're trippin... fix your car. Drive your car.

2. Diavolo

Diavolo

I really don't see what you are concerned about with reliability. I have a 52 sedan. Certain parts are practically impossible to find, but most everything else is easy. I converted to 12V, using a 12SI alternator I rebuilt from a junkyard and a bracket from Mr Speedy. You have to cut a little off the back of the big ear to get it to fit, which no one tells you about. Actually, the way the alternator sits in it, you could just trim the ear off a Ford alternator and use a 12V regulator and the yolk for the bracket would just cradle the alternator in there without the second bolt, if you were just too cheap and lazy to make a little bracket to make up for the different widths. 12SI was just too easy to rebuild and the higher amps are a plus. When I finally get it registered, I plan on making it a daily driver and use my truck just to haul trash and take the space for when the 52 is getting something else done to it that I can't do on a weekend.

Aside from factory AC and 12 volts, there is really no reason to be concerned with reliability. The spun bearing is just as common with an overhead engine. Stock flatty with the 2 barrel carb will get you around 20 mpg. They run like sewing machines in stock form, only 100 horses, but reliable as hell. Stick shifts are just as reliable and if I remember, the 53 started the 9 inch? So no worries for parts there. There is plenty of room inside too, just like the Galaxie.

Hmm, just re-read your post. Sounds like you just want the Galaxie. If I just got the 52 because it was old and prefer the Galaxie, just get the Galaxie. I got my 52 because 52-54 is Super rare in the car world. Not a shoebox, but still not modern enough to be in the 55 and up "Bid Car" family either. I had a choice between this and a 54 and I got this one, in much worse shape, because the 54 did not come with the flathead and I have a soft spot for flatties probably like you have a soft spot for Galaxies...

Just a thought.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  3. I'd keep the '53. You can always go buy a Galaxie. They're not that rare are they? I see 1, 2 a week. How often do I see a '53? NEVER! Problem solved. Now quit your sniveling and go fix your car.

4. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

no way - older is always better

5. frankiemoz

frankiemoz
    from oxnard ca

6. von zipper

von zipper

Mine is a great road car! and the trunk can hold a bunch of stuff! oh ya and my air is ice cold too!

Attached Files:

7. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

I would trade

8. Wayne C

Wayne C

OK!!! you Galaxie fans, I just bought a 49 moredoor I found this week, BUT setting next to the 49 was a "64" Galaxie rag top complete car. Inside needs redone, needs a new top, minor rust. has a 390 with automatic trans. Could be a driver very easy. $5000.00 I think that a little high, but I"m a GM guy.SOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! What do you all think? THANKS!!

9. Mainline54

Mainline54

Ok, to add fuel to the fire....KEEP THE SHOEBOX!