Register now to get rid of these ads!

What to do in Indy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kpapesh, Apr 19, 2010.

1. kpapesh

kpapesh
    from Ohio

I'm heading out to indy this weekend. Any cool shops to check out, or anything that a hot rodder would want to see?

2. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Definitely take in the 500 track and Museum. If you have a particular year you are interested in, ask them to see the photo shop upstairs and they will allow you to look through huge albums of photos from a particular year (and of course the images are for sale...)

Well worth your time.

Also worth going to see Ray Skillmans muscle car museum in Greenwood on US31 (southside)...

3. kpapesh

kpapesh
    from Ohio

I did that when I was out last year, it was great. This year Im Looking to check out either race or hot rod shops.

4. 1959apache

1959apache

there are plenty to choose from. there is an mopar muscle museum in Franklin, IN at Fletcher Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler. Also, Friday afternoons from 5-6pm-dark in Mooresville, IN is a weekly car show/gathering. Saturday in Greenwood, IN is a gathering from 5-6pm to dark at the old dogs 'n suds style diner. Wednesday is a gathering at Bubbas (in Speedway, IN)

5. the machine

the machine

6. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

There are a lot of cool drag shops in Brownsburg, but none that seem to be too friendly to open visitors from what I can tell. John Force does have a mini gift shop that is open to the public. They sell the typical diecast and clothing, but also have autographed pistons, blower belts, rods and some nice art.

7. paintcan54

paintcan54

You can go to "Godspeeds Hot Rod Shop" in brownsburg, then to "Walt's Hot Rod Shop" next door and I think Rooman is still there. Then back to Speedway and check out GMC Bubba's shop on Main Street. Are you in town with the Fireman's event and training that is in Indy this week?

8. kpapesh

kpapesh
    from Ohio

Yes, I am in for FDIC. Might as well have some fun while Im there.

Are these places you guys are suggesting visitor friendly?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  9. All four shops that Paintcan mentioned are visitor friendly

10. kpapesh

kpapesh
    from Ohio

11. rooman

rooman

I will be at my shop pretty much all weekend, 317 852 4547 or 317 681 4949 (cell)

Roo

12. There is a simple solution to your question.

PM unclescooby and ask if he would be so kind as to send you his phone number. He's a likable sort most of the time.
    Then when you get to indy dial the number that he sends you. He will know what to do in Indy and may even help you do it of he has time.
    If I was going to be in Indy that's what I would do.

13. fbama73

fbama73

I highly recommend stopping in to see Rooman. Spent a few hours in his shop a year or two ago- He's a great guy, and way more down to earth than you'd expect someone that smart to be.

14. broadripple college drinking 24-7
    down town indy
    beer is cheap and so is parking

15. kpapesh

kpapesh
    from Ohio

Thanks everyone. I will let you all know of the greatness I encounter at the shops I make it to.

16. kpapesh

kpapesh
    from Ohio

Thanks for all of the suggestions and contact info guys. I did make it out to see Jim at Bubbas Hot Rod shop is Speedway, great guy. He has a nice little RPU there. He also had suggestions for people to see. Denny at Hammer Art is extremely talented and had some great stuff (stuff most will never see) in his place. The we headed over to Walt's, its got to be reassuring for anyone who brings their car there to see a bunch of Wally's sitting on the shelf next to the counter. God Speed was next, look for him to make a big splash with a pickup hes working on. Anyway, thanks again.

Sorry to Rooman, I ran out of time. Catch you next year maybe.

17. rooman

rooman

Well, you got to within a couple of hundred feet of my shop as you could have thrown rocks at me from Walt's back door.

Roo

18. kpapesh

kpapesh
    from Ohio

I know Roo. I do apologize. My Chief decided to tag along and he put the kabosh on swinging in. He and I had two different ideas of when we needed to be back in town. I am really sorry. I was looking forward to meeting you. Hope you wont hold it against me for next time.

19. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

kpapesh, sounds like you had a good weekend.

I am making a run on Friday to go to Greg Smith Equipment to pick up some parts. May try to take in some of these other shops as well just to say hi and see what is happening.

Rooman, do you know J Cadle who used to work at McKinney Corp?? I am guessing you guys are acquaintances from reading your bio. I think maybe we also met a long time back.

20. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest