Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

I think the #43 is Larry Rice.

2. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'Just got out all of my 1971 issues of NSSN and Mr. Al Consoli is right. Larry Rice in the Welch #43. And thank you, OldAgeButGreatMemory. I was at Sacramento in early 1971 for a big open comp show on the half at Capital Speedway and Dawley showed up out of nowhere with that #25 car and it was white then. And he put the car on the pole, establishing a new track record but dropped out early. But that car was so classic looking compared to all the other junk that was there that day. After that, I followed Darryl Dawley's career.

3. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Larry also performed this at Reading in the Welch 43,I did a post earlier with the whole sequence....Rich

Attached Files:

4. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Soiunds like Larry would have been better off in Taxi- Cabs!

5. racer5c

racer5c

actually his nickname came from him winning so many races a newspaper article said the Cannon Booms again, had nothing to do with getting upside down, he was a hell of a racer as was his brother Steve Cannon

6. jimg12

jimg12

racer5c,
    I had never heard that story, that is why I ask for someone to correct me. And yes Steve was a good driver also. When Larry was winning a lot of races at the local shows [he was running several times a week and did get upside down several times] he said the cars needed cages and did not go to USAC untill cages.
    Jim

7. wynns #1

wynns #1

Does anyone know if there was more than one Kurtis Kraft, Kincaid Barbershop midget? (I think out of Indiana) Thanks

8. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

How about an appetizer of some old fashion wings....Rich

Attached Files:

9. Sprintmik

Sprintmik

I am amazed at the knowledge present on this thread so I will post a question about this car that I used to have. It came from Ohio in 1968 and was red and white when I got it. Supposedly it was built by Floyd Trevis as a 30" x 90" car about 1959 .

Attached Files:

10. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Joe,
    My friend Karl Beamer got one from Spike Gillespie. I`ll talk to him and get the real scoop. I may have it mixed up but they also had the Lori B that Ernie McCoy drove.
    Kincaiid had both of them and Spike bought both cars from Jim Etter.

Stan............

11. BenMtrsprts20

BenMtrsprts20

i tell you what i had no idea how much my grandfather was watch in his career. i just am blown away by how much he is talked about on here. thank you all for the help and if anyone gets a hold of pictures please let me know send me an email on my private address: [email protected] Thanks again.. Really love hearing stories about him. i know i would be making him proud and maybe one day my name will be mentioned as much as his is. I'm looking into racing as soon as next year in a mini sprint here in NC.

12. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Who was your grandfather? What did he race, and where?
    Its so nice to hear how proud you are of him.

13. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Spike,
    His grandfather was Harry Benjamin.

14. baldtireman

baldtireman

Is this the missing Trevis Craft sprint roadster built for Ross Westover? The grandson of Mr. Westover does not remember where the car went. Anybody got any ideas? John S.:confused:

15. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Joe;
    Thanks for the info. Harry was one heavy footed driver. A lot of fun to watch.
    I saw Harry run your car really well several times.

16. customjd

customjd
    from texas

17. Fitz sent me some pics for you guys

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. jimg12

jimg12

wynns#1, The Kincaids might have had a Kurtis midget, but the one Mike McGreevy drove was a Bob Higman car. They sold it to the Larks. After Mr. Lark passed away Mike married his widow. They sold the car and it went thru a few people and Gary Byers bought it and restored it as the # 3 car.
    Jim Graybeal

19. KK500

KK500

I'd like to know as well. Have spent hours going back and forward. I recently purchased the Benny Rapp #14 and trying to research it's history.
    Also lost track of sm66p.........has he changed his handle??!!??
    Thanks,
    Jim Grant

20. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

With a $26,000 purse and $4,000 to win, the IMCA didn't have much trouble attracting a full field to the, first and only, Peach Blossom 150 10/64 at the ultra fast, high banked Atlanta Intl. Speedway. Gotta believe 100 laps in a swb upright sprint car at 150 mph had to be a white knuckle experiance for sure.

Attached Files:

21. OhioRoyce

OhioRoyce
    from Ohio

I'm guessing number 10A is Dave Blaney?

22. jimg12

jimg12

Rootie,
    Somewhere I have seen the results of that race. Greg Weld won in a roadster. dick Gains ran good, also in a roadster[I think]. Charlie Masters ran an upright sprint. He said he ran wide open all the way around [I think he said 130's- had a small motor]. After he made his pit stop the u-joint broke, went thru the belly pan dug into the track, lifted the car off the ground, split the fuel tank-- no fire and no wreck, now that is what you call LUCK. There was a big difference in speed from fast to slow of the field.
    Jim Graybeal

23. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Jim,
    Weld, in the #92 former SDSP Indy car, dropped out after only 3 laps after spinning out due to a oil leak, but had them covered otherwise with a qalifying speed of 157+! Leo Caldwell won the race but it was controversial due to scoring issues. Gaines lost a wheel and spun off the track, hit a ditch, and did a slow roll but was unhurt.

24. Sprintmik

Sprintmik

I believe this is Dick Gaines at 71 Lil 500. I think the 88 car was fielded by the famous "Wayne Woodward" that year.

Attached Files:

25. chrissmith19

chrissmith19
    from cincy

what's with all the dirt tires laying around?

26. chrissmith19

chrissmith19
    from cincy

that's a little old for dave. the car is from around the reading pa. area. look at the sponsor....

27. baldtireman

baldtireman

I don't think it's Dave- Car is sponsored out of Reading,Pa.,and it's a springer front. Early in his career,Dave almost always used Treviscraft 4-bar cars. John S.:cool: