Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I`m cleaning house!Who else has??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fitzee, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

2. bikeguydave

bikeguydave
    from Kentucky

After listening to you guys...I feel much better, Thanks, Dave

3. Diavolo

Diavolo

Feeling my mortality, then watched the hoarding shows on TLC or Discovery or whatever. I had already started purging "stuff" out of my house, now I am on fire! Fortunately, never collected a lot of valuable stuff so I can just grab stuff by the armful and load it into my truck to haul away.

I'm keeping my flathead stuff, and minimizing my projects to no more than 2 bikes and 2 4 wheeled machines.

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I know that everytime i do this , later down the road i end up looking for something i thought I had, and its not there.
    so i gotta go back out and find it, or buy it..or both..

5. bobjob55

bobjob55

i'm going to clean it out... 16 year old daughter ,, 15 year old son ... a few more years and there OUT...

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

Haha I did, sold almost everything...gave away a bunch of stuff then took over 14,000 lbs of stuff for scrap (no complete cars just stuff) moved across the country and decided I would only have 1 project lol well less than 3 yrs later I got enough to keep me busy for at least 10 or so years....but I only work on 1 at a time :p

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think if we have been at it any length of time "stuff" accumulates.
    I'd have to go out and look to see how many engines I have right now but I know I have about four that need new homes.

I've pretty well decided that I need to clean out the sheds and sort out what actually is going to get used on current projects and get rid of the stuff that has just accumulated over the years. I must have 30 different exhaust manifolds with no engines to go to them plus a 455 and a 350 Olds that are both in parts and I have no need for. Most of the stuff is ot so I can't list it here and I'm not sure I want to put it on craigslist and put up with the mouthbreathers expecting running engines.

8. screwball

screwball

koolkemp you didnt mention you moved across the country twice in one year.

9. I sold off and got rid of a bunch of projects in the fall. Reason was there was too many. Then your trying to build too many things at once and your builds starts getting watered down cuz your scrimping on em all to keep em all.
    Plus my kids wanted new motorbikes and I'm like ahh kids I don't have enough money, but then I have 6 or 7 rusty POS's sitting there doing F/A.
    Just focusing on my hot rod/ kustom and then when its done I'll build something else. Makes for more brain energy too:D

-Shiny

10. Brother AHotRod gave me two of the best tips ever... The first one was buy a GOOD complete nut and bolt assortment and something to organize them in (I like my local ACE hardware store, but not that much).

The second, only build one at a time. Let's face it, our wives and GF's are much better at multi-tasking than we are... Sold off 2 other projects, 2 years later, I have a car I can drive.

When you aren't buying and planning for 3 projects, you'd be amazed at how much extra time and money you have.

11. Judd

Judd

I keep saying the Comet is the only money pit I can afford but I'm constantly tempted by the Hamb clasifieds and now a friend just got a 64 Galaxie 500XL less motor and trans he wants me to buy for $600. I always wanted one and I'm going to have a hard time turning it down. GET THEE BEHIND ME SATAN AND QUIT PUSHING!

12. Well for me,it came down to how many carbs,intakes,dist's,trans,engines...parts left over from past builds,freebee's,and a ton of other shit that "is worth something",trim,sheetmetal,and just stuff that I'll use "someday".

Basically,I assembled a "car" without the body! I saved everything to build a car without having one!
    Everything must go,but it was a dellicate choice.- The best engine,trans,rear....gauges,seats,shifters......you get it.

Cleaned up well,but still have more shit to go! BUT,when it comes time,and I find the right shell, A LOT LESS HEADACHE!

13. beanis

beanis

man o man this thread makes me feel better... I know I'm not the only one with ADD or whateverdahell it is that makes me wanna take on another project when I already have 3 or 4 goin'. I've finally prioritized my projects and have been sticking to the list pretty good. Not feelin quite so overwhelmed anymore. But now that a few are finally done...I'm bored with 'em...wanna sell 'em and get some more....aaaaaarrrrggghhhh!

14. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Fitzee... I understand cleaning things out but it's not for me.
    I had back surgery 5 years ago. Didn't think I'd ever be able hold a wrench or work on stuff again.
    Almost got rid of all my "toys" (car stuff, guitars, etc.).
    I didn't. Good thing because now my back is decent and I can play with that stuff again. I would have been major pissed at myself if I would have dumped stuff.
    I refuse to get rid of stuff. You ALWAYS need some piece of stuff just AFTER you get rid of it.
    Stuff is good.
    I got rid of stuff before and every time it turned out bad.
    I guess it helps having enough land for my stuff though. Can't imagine living in a place where they told me what stuff I could have.
    Koolkemp.. ask DAMMIT about his stuff and what he throws out (nothing). But he can make anything from any stuff.
    When I give up on all my stuff.. plant me.
    Stuff is good.
    Long live stuff.

15. If I have more than one at a time I'm overwelmed. So, I sold off everything but my 34 ford coupe. I still have 2 storage garages full of "parts" to sell off and I've been loading my little HHR panel to the top every swap meet. It comes home empty and I load up for the next swap meet....money goes into the 34. Works out great!

16. koolkemp

koolkemp

And still managed to hang on to a bunch of crap, I might add!

17. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Then I guess you wouldn't want any of the pieces of metal that comes from the sides of computers? Some are 1 1/2' square and some 2' x 1 1/2 or so.
    They make great patch-panels or whatever. Somewhere around 18-20g.
    I was going to bring up a few when Fred and I visit.
    You sure you don't want more stuff?
    Don't get me wrong.. I'll keep it if not!
    I likes stuff.

18. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

I'm in the process of downsizing right now. I went from a two and a half car garage to a no car garage, so I'm having to really think about what I want to keep. I can't justify spending a couple o grand to build a place to store it all in. Usually, I just buy another shed, get another garage, etc. but this time I'm reducing the stuff instead of increasing the storage. I 'm currently down to 1 daily driver, 1 project car, 1 motorcycle, 2 mini bikes, 15 bicycles, and about 30 skateboards - it sounds like a lot but, it's a lot less than I had. I haven't completed a project car since 1995 due to jumping from project to project - I've had my current project ('64 Mercury Comet)for three years now and hope to keep it - unless someone wants to trade me a Hot Rod for it. :rolleyes:

19. koolkemp

koolkemp

Sure ! Cant have too much stuff eh :D

20. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Cool. I'll bring some stuff.

21. bonesy

bonesy

I sold off projects and thought, I'll just buy a good running "fixer upper." Man - now I can't find anything I want.

22. fitzee

fitzee

That always happens,when you don`t want stuff it there and when your looking for stuff it is nowhere to be found.I give up looking that way it might be there.lol

23. croxxedmember

croxxedmember

yep, what he said. i don't have a wife, so what's the use in cleaning shop?

24. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

i just sold 2 cars recently. thinned the herd down to 3 cars. 2 run and drive, 3rd is the project. couldnt be happier!!

25. just culled out 100 cars last month on 2.75 acres i had for 28 years and sold.

26. With 9 cars, 1 partscar and about 15 motobikes and mopeds and of course a lot of parts, i have more projects that i will ever finish in my lifetime (i'm 41 years old), but everytime i look around in my garage i got a big smile on my face because it's all mine and i only sell something when money is tight or my garage is full.:rolleyes:

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dearly need to get rid of all the stuff that doesn't actually go to a real project that I now have going.

There is a little local swapmeet at the end of the month that I plan to take a bunch of stuff to and come home with none of it. This isn't getting rich but getting rid of stuff. Problem is that I'll probably come home with different stuff rather than cash.

28. 57FORD

57FORD

i cleaned house and sold my 62 Mini cooper,72 240z and my 87 rwd Corolla, now i can complete my 57 f100 :)

29. ratster

ratster

i just did, sold my chopped 49 merc and 30 a model coupe

30. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

Yep,I ve been selling off all the unwanted crap lately.
    All the stuff that I,ll never use.
    I realised that I need to finish the 3 cars that I have in the works now.
    I,ll be selling the 32 tudor when it is to a certain point and lately I,ve been thinking of selling the 3 window.
    The only problem with selling the coupe is the amount it would bring with the market depressed as it is at the moment.