Register now to get rid of these ads!

wire wheels how to seal them not to leak.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HELLMET, Apr 19, 2010.

1. HELLMET

HELLMET

got some old tru spokes and need to seal them around the spokes what can i use? a thick type silicone? any help on this would be great . thanks billy

2. Mr.Bomba

Mr.Bomba

You need to strip all the old silicone off the wheels first with a wire wheel on a die grinder or whatever you have that works then use an industrial silicone and spread it smooth with a bondo spreader till all the nipples from the spokes are burried then let em dry good!! before mounting :D

3. chaco

chaco
    from Modesto,CA

We used to use this stuff that came in a tube(like big toothpaste tube) that was for under water sealing. The only thing I ever saw go wrong was putting a tire on too early and airing it up. If the sealant is not fully cured it will squeeze out of the dimples around spokes. Other then that we did like 4 sets of tru's with no problems. Of course I was like 15 and there is probably better ways of doing it, but that's how we did it back in the 80's bro, lol.

4. adamshumard

adamshumard

Silly question, but why not just use tubes?

5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

If you use a tube you will have to use a liner of some sort. If using sealer I would use MoPar black or 3M 5200 ............................

6. hotrodaddict

hotrodaddict

Liberal usage of 3M windshield urethane

7. HELLMET

HELLMET

thanks guys i have that at my work. i guess i'll go backwards i jumped the gun and mounted them owell live and learn. billy

8. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

Old Jaguar wires are often converted with a kit. The spoke ends are covered with a sealant/silicone..then a rubber band type piece is stretched over rim to snap on over the sealed spoke ends..

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  9. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

my skylarks have a clear silicone about 3/16" thick and 4" wide .Roger

10. 4woody

4woody

I thought silicone was very bad in contact with steel. It created massive rust where a P.O. siliconed the windshield to the body on my '38. Urethane sounds better to me...

11. yellow_cad

yellow_cad

Could you possibly elaborate more on the "rubber type piece" and the process in general. Trying to do a set of wheels right now. Thanks.