Register now to get rid of these ads!

straight pipes, or cherry bombs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PipeWelder81, Apr 18, 2010.

1. PipeWelder81

PipeWelder81

Hey guys, im trying to figure out what way to go on my 63 impala. Do i want straights on it, or some cherry bombs? i am going to run the exhaust straight out the back and probably put a flame thrower kit on it. I was considering going with straight pipes b/c i have it airbagged and it puts the headers right on the pavement when its all the way down, and i wont have much room for mufflers. But i also dont want it to sound like crap. What do you guys think?? I saw a vid on Youtube of the Voodoo Kings at a drive in and there were a bunch of cars throwing flames and the cars sounded awesome! thats what im going for! i have a 355 in her, with long tube headers. Let me know what ya think

2. jamesgr81

jamesgr81

Straight pipes - dual cop callers.
    Add flames for multiple tickets.

3. rtp

rtp

Cherry Bombs Are Cheaper Tgan The Court Costs.

4. rtp

rtp

That is Than the court costs

5. Since you asked....use Porters on it,you will be much happier with the sound.......

6. Mufflers are the ticket to no tickets. Save your hearing and decrease noise pollution. It's a noisy place out there.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I second the Porters or a Walker glass pack. Loud isn't as cool as having the "right" sound.
    I'll take that deep motor boat rumble cruising down the Boulevard over annoying loud any day.

Plus you and your companion will look silly as hell wearing those yellow noise blocking ear muffs cruising down the street on cruise night because the car is so damned loud you can't think inside. See the Roundup coverage for that one.

8. kristin_110

kristin_110

I agree with rtp.

9. Any good muffler shop can tuck your pipes up close to the body. Go with some 18" or 22" Blue Streak glasspacks, not Cherry Bombs. Your full length headers will probably hang lower than the rest of your exhaust system, including the glasspacks. I have a 64, and nothing hangs below the frame. The lowest part of the exhaust is at the bend by where the firewall meets the floor. Of course I am using stock Ram Horns.
    It will be loud as hell with straight pipes, but it will sound like shit. Small glasspacks with long tailpipes will give you the best sound. Don't go with anything bigger than 2.25" diameter pipes for the best sound.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  10. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

I doubt Bucks County cops would like that. Porters out the back or porters somewhere mid point with tailpipes out the back. Tailpipes will give give it the blat sound if that's what ya want or mount the mufflers outta sight maybe behind the tires tucked up inside the 1/4 panel son each side of the gas tank, then you just get the sound and no blat.

11. PipeWelder81

PipeWelder81

thanks for the help guys, im gonna look into some of the mufflers that you all mentioned. I definately dont need any more tickets than i have already had, so straights will be out i think haha. I eventually wanna ditch the long tubes for some block huggers or ram horn style so i can get the car down a couple inches more.

12. The Porter man is also here on the HAMB...support him

13. PipeWelder81

PipeWelder81

i checked out the Porter website and listened to the sound clips, they are exactly what im looking for, and even better they are made in the good ol USA! Looks like a really nice product. I see that there are only 2" and 2.5", no 2.25". Like i said i have long tube headers on it now, with a mild 355 (cam, intake, 750 holley) should i go with 2" or 2.5? I also thought about going with 2.25" tubing from header, then expand it to fit the 2.5" Porter, then reduce back to 2.25" for the tailpipes. What do you think? i just dont want to choke the motor, or lose power from a 2" exhaust.

14. Desert Ratt

Desert Ratt

you should put the ram horns or block huggers on before going to muffler shop-otherwise will have to pay for work twice.

15. outlaw56

outlaw56
    from Hines, MN

Run straight pipes or open headers or even cut outs, let off the gas when u see a cop.

16. Desert Ratt

Desert Ratt

ya, let off the gas when they pull you over

17. outlaw56

outlaw56
    from Hines, MN

Yaaaaaaaaaaa Hit the gas when pulled over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

18. ahh you wont have to worry about court, as long as you arent being stoopid about it, you wont ever have to worry, cops wont pull ya over because they know too much time has gone into it to pull you over, at least thats wat a chp dude told me.
    But i love my cherry bombs, but i wish i would have done porters....

19. Draggin wagon

Draggin wagon

Too funny... Do you still have a license?!!! hahaha Those days are over for me... My C.D.L. is my car money!

20. outlaw56

outlaw56
    from Hines, MN

Read the whole post kid, My first response was to let off when you see a cop, meaning run what you want and don't be stupid, unless yre desertrat and were to late then might as well rev it up.

21. bigs merc

bigs merc

I got cherry bombs on my merc with a stock 390 and I love the sound they make. just my two cents

22. smarg

smarg

12 inch bombs will do the trick.

23. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

tuck the mufflers in the back by the bumper tons of room

24. lol

25. Draggin wagon

Draggin wagon

I agree with you... If your smart about it, youll be ok im sure! If your raceing around like a crazy maniac, your bound to get pulled over regardless... You can run straight pipes to see what you think, if you dont like it, it shouldnt be to hard to add a muffler later..

26. you talkin to me outlaw?
    cause i was more talking to the guy who commented like 2nd or whatever about paying for court or whatever.
    but i totally agree with you. But by me, the cops really just pic on the kids with rice rockets and crapbeat hondas.

27. Deuces

Deuces

Cherry Bombs!! Disturbing the peace since 1968. That's how the add read in an old HOTROD magazine. I had a set once that had a welded on header flange.. I wonder if they still make those??

28. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

I always turn my car off when if I get pulled over,and its always for laud exhaust,throw your keys on your dash and put your dome lite on,that will make the cop feel a lilte more at ease (My uncle is a cop and told me to do that)and then just bull shit him saying its a big cubed motor,bored out high compression with cams ect....you get my drift.it worked for me evry time Ive got pulled over for being to laud

29. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

unless your motor is built, run mufflers

Porters are great

30. PipeWelder81

PipeWelder81

haha a lot of these comments are good! a good thread to argue about haha. Im gonna keep the longtubes on her for now, and just run the rest of the exhaust, definately think im gonna go with the Porters and just find a spot to tuck em up. ill just order up some U bends and straight tubing and contour it to the floor so its nice and tight and start welding it up. Ive done a lot of custom exhaust systems for drag cars etc. so if i have to splice in a new section for the blockhuggers or horn style manifolds it wont be a problem. THanks for all the info guys, i appreciate it!