Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Does anyone have the Pomona Winternationals entry lists for 1968 and 1969?
    -Dean

2. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Buick question,
    Did Buick make a 1965 1/2 Gran Sport 2-door hardtop with a 401/340HP nailhead.
    A mid-year car.
    The body has the small horizontal-vents on the front fender.
    What did they weigh? Or approximate weight.
    Paul

3. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Paul, if they did, it never made it into the NHRA Classification Guide. The only 340 horsepower unit homologated with NHRA appears to have been based on the 425 cubic inch block and that was available in the Wildcat series and the deuce-and-a-quarter.

There was a 401 listed in the Skylark at 325 horsepower.

4. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Chuck,
    Thanks. It is difficult to get any deatiled info.
    What I found, is that, yes the 65' 401/325HP was built with a Carter AFB (575 cfm).
    Supposedly a dealer HP-kit was available, late year 65' With a hotter camshaft and Rochester 4-GC (692 cfm) carburetor. Rated at 340HP.
    The 340 HP engine is not shown on any classification guide.
    In 65' the Buick's did run B/S (9.50-10.59 wt/hp). If their was a 340HP kit, the car still would be in the same class. Thanks for the input.
    Addition, just got e-mailed by a passionate Buick GS head. If you knew the right dealer in late 65', you could a dealer installed option, the hotter camshaft (.441/.439 lift with a
    299/290 duration), a #1372113 cast iron intake, and a #7026240 Rochester Quadra-Jet
    rated at 750cfm. Offenhauser even offered an aluminum high-rise to the dealers.
    Paul
    * Got the correct information now.
    1965 Buick GS 401/325HP came with a Carter AFB (575 cfm) and/or a Rochester 4-GC
    (553 cfm). Engine equipped with 10.25-1 pistons and .431/.431 hyd. camshaft.
    Some dealers would order a special part# to get the dual-quad/Carter AFB carbed intake from the 425/360HP (Riviera engine) placed in the trunk from the factory. Installed on the
    401/325HP Buick GS, it re-rated the HP to 338. But NHRA did not recognize it, as a true factory installation.
    Correction

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  5. Hoosier Hurricane

Hoosier Hurricane

Didn't the rules of the day state that dealer installed kits and export kits would not be allowed in stock?

John

6. Northwest29

Northwest29
    from Oregon

:confused:
    Greetings all,

A newbie here -

It took me a few days to get through all the posts on this thread. Brought back a lot of good memories from times gone bye. I'm amazed at how many Jr. Stocker guys are still passionate about Jr. Stockers with some of you even rebuilding cars from the past.

I'm currently working on digitizing the decals/stickers that were on Jesel's delivery as part of a 1/24 scale model build. I always loved the "flying barber pole". At any rate can some one identify the decal circled in red? Or tell me what the writing is in the middle? Surely it dosen't say 'Flower Power', I hope.

Thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

7. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Mr. Colesy,
    In those higher classes, we used to have Ron Morehead 'Tiny Tim' with a red Volvo run in T/S 1968, and U/S in 1969. Damn thing ran 15.90's and won Stock Eliminator at Dover just about every week. Somebody had posted that car on this site.
    In 69', he could run .30 under the record.
    Paul

8. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

I was fooled too --- I thought it was Mopar - I was thinking the 68 Roadrunner ---
    41 years --- a little shady in the memory dept!! Surely didnt remember the guy. I do remember "Soupy" though!!! That 57 with the artwork looked a little familiar too, but cant seem to "finger" it!!
    Congrats to Markyak ------- Good Luck and dont Lite the Red!!!

9. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Dean -
    Did you ever notice that your IN-BOMBER and MY WHITE POWER are carrying the same window shoe polish number at the Nationals? #872?? Mine was in 67 and yours in 68? What a coincidence!
    Tweed
    Maybe someday we will meet up --- I was trying to have mine done for York this year, but I'm not gonna make it! Maybe next year? or someplace else?

10. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Colesy,
    Thats the 'One'. 1962 PV544, of course with the potent B18 1.8L engine.
    The in-line 4-cylinder with (5) main-bearings. Much the torque-monster.
    Ronnie Morehead, out of Newburgh area. "Tiny Tim".
    Nothing cooler than the summer of 68, watching the Volvo get a 4-second plus handicap, versus a 66' A/S Hemi Belvedere. Guess who won.
    Kind of like getting a 'Swedish Masage'.
    Paul,,,,,,thanks for the photo post.

11. Thanks ,guys

I posted this on Class racer after the third round:

"Excuses time. Tried to bump it in to pick up my lights .Went in deep. Backed out quick enough,but couldn't get it back in low . The tree was coming down .Left in 2nd gear
    All over.

Probably would have got tossed anyway."

We had fun, though. Won a little Wally for class and some $$ for 3rd round.
    Glad to be able to get out there once in a while.

12. Northwest29

Northwest29
    from Oregon

Colesy,

Thanks for the info. It appears that the middle of the flower contains this Hurst logo without the gold outline. Would you agree?

Do you happen to recall if the outside of the flower were different? In your photo the petals look green, but on Jesel's car they look yellow or orange.

TNX

Ron

Attached Files:

13. I did not notice that! How cool! The "In-Bomber" seems to have run the number 872 most of it's life, though I know at the '69 Nationals it had a totally different number. Are you still going to make it to York to see the show?
    -Dean

14. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Colesy,
    So that was the 'trick intake system' under the Volvo hood. A blast at 95 HP.
    I don't know how that guy figured out that combo, to fit into the 25.00-26.99
    weight bracket.
    Many guys wanted to protest him, but the Tech Inspectors even admitted, they wouldn't know what to look for.
    As you can see in the photos, Cragar wheels and 6" wide slicks. Don't think those
    baby's ever spun coming out of the hole.
    Paul

15. YORK NOSTALGIA
    Just had word on an entry from John Castagnetto, Pesdadero California. He is bringing his '57 Chevy junior stocker.
    That brings the total of junior stockers to 15.

Dom

16. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Mike,
    Thats for the info, still waiting from Chunk's out of Bakersfiled area.
    He put together some Buick 401's around 65'/66' for a Buick dealership.
    Big competition from the dealers out there in 65'
    Olds 442 400/345,,,, GTO 389/335,,,, Satellite 383/330.
    Said the Buick GS was a little heavier, due to the car being built on the
    convertible frame, for more rigidity.
    PC

17. bob shirley

bob shirley

i own an as new 65 buick gs 401/325hp stick car.am sure if i dumped the clutch with traction the rear would be history,torque monster for sure

18. Northwest29

Northwest29
    from Oregon

Colesy, again thanks. Those photos and your input were just what I needed to finish up the digitizing of that decal.

Ron

19. Does anyone have a good scan of the "Hurst Aid" sticker?? It's a cross design, like a "plus sign" (+) or bandage. We need four of them and I can't even track down one.
    -Dean

20. Old Tech Inspector

Old Tech Inspector
    from USA

Thought I would settle the Buick Gran Sport Deal. In 1966 the early ones with a green engine came with an AFB 4179S stick # 4181S automatic..The late cars with a red engine came with a Q-jet # 7026242.Factory installed option on the early engine. Both used cast iron intake manifold.
    Both Used same cam as the 425 C.I. engine, slightly more lift. Called it 332 Horsepower

NHRA still carries specs for both engines...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  21. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Damn Terry! I do recall the different engine colors but if you can still remember details like that......well thats a hell of a memory......

I doubt very seriously if there is one single Tech man working for NHRA or anywhere else that could even tell you what they had for lunch last week, no less what a 1966 Buick engine should look like or what parts should be on it........

22. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

HEY......I RESEMBLE that remark.....lol.
    P.S. My name is Terry

23. Lyn Smith

Lyn Smith

found some old air lift decals the other day while i was digging thru some stuff if anyone wants to copy them.send me a pm.

24. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Rich,

I know Terry and I also know Travis Miller in Division 3 and Wesley Roberson in Division 4. I'd bet that at least two of the three can do it and very likely, it's three-for-three.

c

25. Northwest29

Northwest29
    from Oregon

Hi Dean,

Is this the one you're looking for?

Attached Files:

26. Yes!! That's it! I think that scan should be good enough to use. Where did you find that??
    -Dean

27. Northwest29

Northwest29
    from Oregon

Dean, glad it will work for you. Not really sure exactly where I picked it up, but it was the Internet. I've been collecting them for 3 or 4 years now. My best recollection is that there is a guy on eBay that sells old decals that are originals, I think. So, you might snoop around on eBay and perhaps you can locate an original.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=hu...270.l1313&_odkw=racing+decals&_osacat=0&bkBtn=

My suggestion is first to use this link then send a note to each of the top sellers telling them what you're looking for. They may have it in stock, but not posted on eBay.HTH

28. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

Hi Ron. Welcome to the site. Glad you finally got through all the reading and found your information.:D
    A bunch of great guys here and like you, always ready to help others out. :cool:

29. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Old Tech Inspector,
    Hold the Buick GS.
    Found, 1966 Buick GS 401/340HP (Factory engine)
    11.0-1 compression, #1372113 Cast iron intake for Quadra-Jet.
    Quadra-Jet #702640 (750 cfm)
    Camshaft .441/.439 Lift 299/290 duaration
    Total produced; One magazine says 10; (9) Automatic, (1) 4-speed
    Another says 132.
    Smyly Buick out of Winchester, Mass ran one in C/SA (1966)
    Paul

30. HotRodNisse

HotRodNisse

Somebody who have more pictures of Volvo PV 544 !??? :)