Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. farmer12

farmer12

One from the front. Stacks going on next. Must check for hood clearance but it seems that the 6 inch stacks may just fit.

Attached Files:

Hogman likes this.
  2. An aluminum head, Hillborn injected 392 in a Kustom?

Let me go put on a clean pair of pants. This is awesome!!!

3. farmer12

farmer12

Stacks are on. Did go for the 6 inch stacks. This will give me a clearance of about 5 inches to the hood, still allowing for plenty of air into the engine. Really happy how its looking, still a bit of plumbing to do though.

Attached Files:

Plung likes this.
  4. bstie

bstie

Oh man that is killer!

5. art.flame

art.flame

i wouldn't use that engine, i'll take it of your hands for free:rolleyes:

6. thinkfink

thinkfink

7. 1959apache

1959apache

awwwww but we wanted you to frag it in a wicked burn out first

8. farmer12

farmer12

While the engine is being done, I started stripping the paint off the car. The metal seems to be in good order except the area around the rear window where a lot of bondo was used. I had seen pictures of this before I bought the car, so it comes as no surprise. Will get the body sand blasted eventually and replace the bondo with real steel. Just want to do it right........:D

Attached Files:

9. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

That awful sound is me crapping my britches.....one of the most impressive builds I've seen on here!

10. farmer12

farmer12

Burn out will certainly happen! Still have to buy the whitewalls though, maybe I should buy 6 just in case.........:rolleyes:

11. farmer12

farmer12

These photos show the water pump (bbc) installed and plug wires. Will show some pics of the Hilborn plumbing soon.

Attached Files:

12. farmer12

farmer12

Couple of shots of the Hilborn plumbing installation. May be a bit difficult to see but you get the general idea. Will get some pics soon of the alternator and bracket.

Attached Files:

13. farmer12

farmer12

Got the alternator bracket mounted. Also some headers are on there for the initial engine start up. Will be using Hot Heads shorties later. Now its time to sort out the ECU, wires and hoses. Getting close now!

Attached Files:

14. Add a link so we can see & HEAR it run when it's ready. 1 bad HEMI!

15. farmer12

farmer12

Starting stripping the paint off the back part of the roof, there where most of the chopping was done. Found, as I expected, a lot of bondo. Will not be surprised if its more than an inch thick in some places. I will replace all of the bondo areas with steel, keeping the shape the car has now. Most of the other "non bondo" bodywork is fine, only showing some surface rust in certain places.

Attached Files:

16. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whoa! That engine is BEAUTIFUL, Farmer! Jesus, I can't wait to see what the completed car looks like!

17. farmer12

farmer12

Once again, thanks everyone for the comments. Removed everything from the dash. Playing with the idea of welding up the glovebox or fabricating a new piece to weld in to get a cleaner look. Then probably duplicate a mirror image piece for the driver side.This way I also get rid of the small holes above the steering wheel column.

Attached Files:

18. farmer12

farmer12

Took some photos looking rearward. From what I can see is that quite a bit of bondo must have been used to smooth out the rear of the roof. Will cut out all of the "strips" and replace the complete section with new steel. The rest of the inside of the car only has surface rust. Only found some holes at the bottom of the doors, nothing exciting.

Attached Files:

19. desertdroog

desertdroog

Pretty much any picture of this build-redo-update is exciting. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I expect this to be yet another bad assed ride ruling Europe when all is said and done.

20. hemi man

hemi man

:)you did a great job,looks good.i am having fuel injection envy.
    Hemi man:)

Attached Files:

21. farmer12

farmer12

That engine looks great hemi man! Did you have any clearance problems with the alternator there? I think I may........got a short cross member

22. farmer12

farmer12

Here we have the ECU installed together with the rest of the plumbing. My engine builder is using a different gearbox and headers than I'll be using, this just so the starter can be mouted. I'll be receiving my gearbox(a TKO 600) soon. From ordering large parts in the US to getting it in my garage takes approximately 6-7 weeks, so good planning becomes essential! In this photo the engine is pretty much ready to begin with the initial start up.

Attached Files:

23. farmer12

farmer12

Engine has been fired up, taking it to 2000 rpm for 20 minutes in order to break in the camshaft.Several test runs were done after that. According to the engine builder the engine ran perfect. Time to take the headers and gearbox off. Then crate the whole thing and ship it to the Netherlands. Can't wait!

Attached Files:

The 39 guy likes this.
  24. 36 Airstream

36 Airstream

Maybe I should tamper with the shipping address and change it to Australia.
    Love it, looks great!

25. the DutchDude

the DutchDude

that engine is SERIOUS!!
    can't get better than this!!
    but i wander if you will get it through rdw,,
    i'm sure it is build properly,, we all can see that,, but still
    cheers perry

26. farmer12

farmer12

Engine is getting crated here and off to Jacksonville,FL. From there she'll take the boat to Rotterdam, the Netherlands.

Attached Files:

27. farmer12

farmer12

Been working on the car last week stripping it of all the layers of paint.(started life as burgundy, then yellow,then grey. Looks like there is only surface rust in certain places, nothing serious. Only found a few holes in the bottom of the doors which can be repaired easily. Lifted the body off with a few friends of mine and placed in on a trailer.Chassis looks solid but as always , it will need some work as well.The body is off to sandblasting and all the panels will go in an acid bath. I took this route to prevent the panels from warping if they were to blast them. Will upload a few more pics of the body soon.

Attached Files:

28. farmer12

farmer12

one more pic

Attached Files:

29. farmer12

farmer12

Sorry, only able to upload one pic at a time

Attached Files:

30. farmer12

farmer12

Here's the last one.