Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 50 shoebox radiator conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sanchez, Apr 17, 2010.

1. sanchez

sanchez
    from N.C.

small block chevy motor in a 50 ford, Curious about the mounts available for this application for a radiator? i have 24 inches by 24 inches of room for the radiator?? Any info about radiators and mounts would be great...:rolleyes:

2. Desert Ratt

Desert Ratt

have same type of situation, except installing small block Ford. I got a used '68 Mustang radiator to try out that I will have to fab mounting for. figure to use a couple of U shaped brackets on either side at base lined with some type of rubber protection. once I get some of the original front body related parts on will do a support along the sides, etc. have a S10 front suspension clip and will be doing a custom grill, so can not run a thick or wide cross flow type radiator.

3. badshifter

badshifter

Got mine from US Radiator, it's a bolt in. The part number for a small block chevy in a 50 Ford is # 050028 Go here: http://www.usradiator.com/2010Catalog.html Page 32. For the Ford in the 50 it's part # 500281.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  4. Desert Ratt

Desert Ratt

wow, Thanks badshifter-that link you provided is one of the very best that I have ever seen. did you buy yours online, or a local dealer? with shipping about what did the whole thing run you? i now have to rethink my plans. might get one of theirs and keep fin area covered in cardboard while I mock everything up. PS-very cool woodie

5. badshifter

badshifter

Thanks, If I remember right it was about 350.00 bucks, and US Radiator is about 25 miles from me so I went there and got it direct from them. This was about 4 years ago and copper has gone up so........? They also put in the trans cooler for automatics if you want. They make great stuff, they're all I use. Have fun!

6. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I had a mustang radiator in mine then picked up a inline 6 on evil bay including shipping for less than $100. It bolts right in. I flipped the bracket inside out so that it lets the fan sit closer to the radiaor and it stays super cool. I ran it everywhere even in traffic on a hot say and nver got above 190. I have a 302 with c4 in mu 50 coupe fyi.

7. sanchez

sanchez
    from N.C.

do you have any pics of the installed radiator?

8. I ordered a US Radiator from "Classis Radiator Co." they are bringing it to Spring Carlisle for me to pick up --- Saves me shipping and it's on sale