Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The History Of Los Angeles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Old Man Taylor

Old Man Taylor

I have a very large collection of Plomb tools. My Dad was a tool designer there in the mid-40's. They got sued by Plumb in Pennsylvannia when they started competing in the same line of tools. In 1948 they had both names on their tools, Proto (Professional Tools) and Plomb. They were sued again and only the Proto name was used from then on. I believe they are now owned by Stanley. They were at 2209 Santa Fe Ave in LA.

Attached Files:

2. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Hey OMT! how are ya? Didn't know you were on this site. Great place, lots of stuff, pretty good buch overall
    Pontiac Slim

3. Old Man Taylor

Old Man Taylor

Hi Dan! I hope all is well with you. The old picture threads on this site are awesome.

4. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

I used to go with my father to the factory where he would buy tools, which I still have by the way. Not raving beauties like SnapOn but high quality tools for sure.

5. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

[​IMG]
    Universal Studios 1924

6. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

[​IMG]
    Universal Studios over the years had many spectacular fires. This one in 1990 destroyed not only sets but many 20's-30's cars.

7. big creep

big creep

the one they had a few years ago was real bad. they lost the whole town square, you could smell the film burning all over burbank. it smelled like an electrical fire! when it first happen, i was running all over the house looking for the fire thinking it was in the house, the smell was that strong!

8. MCM

MCM

I work on the CBS lot, the parking structure that I park in every day was built on the spot where the lagoon from Gilligan's Island used to be...

9. kornbinder

kornbinder
    from Sonora, CA

Holy crap!! It took me a month to get through this thread, but I made it! Hey, I was reading it at work.:D
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o>
    Thank you, thank you, thank you Mazooma, Special Ed, BrerHair Hollywood Graham and everyone else that has posted, keep’m coming.
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o>
    [FONT=&quot]I was born in Downey in ’46, lived in Billy Goat Acres (Bell Gardens) until I was 6 and then the family moved to the San Fernando Valley where I stayed until I went into the service in ’67. Graduated from Poly in ’64 and even worked at Lockheed. I need to go through my mom’s pictures and see what I can find, if I can remember what the heck I did with them. Thank you all for a trip down memory lane.

Mike
    [/FONT]

10. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

can't live with 'em...can't live without 'em...:):(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. so your saying they really did "pave paradise and put up a parking lot":rolleyes:

thats a Joni Mitchell reference for the younger crowd... sorry..:cool:

13. Wow I lived in Downey, Bell Gardens, and the San Fernando Valley, went in military in '70, now I live in Atwater, and your in Sonora...The HAMB really is a small world...

14. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

What a great collection and THANK YOU for posting them!!
    I was born and raised in the la area 1950. My dad is a hollywood native and mom is from the silverlake area of la. and I left in 1974 for northern arizona. California is a good place to visit.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  15. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  16. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

The Hollywood Bowl...

last night, my buddy and his wife saw "The Eagles" there...:)

a few months ago, I got stuck with having to go to see Barry Manilow with a bunch of people for my wife's birthday...:mad:

I got revenge, though...I booked a room at the "Nugget" for Bonneville "Speed Week"...."he who laugh last, laughs the best!" ...:D

This photo was taken right before the annual "Playboy Jazz Festival" was to start evening

Dean Jeffries shop, for 40 years, is just north of here about 1 mile.

[​IMG]

17. Old Man Taylor

Old Man Taylor

19. This shot of Spencer Tracy on the roof is in Long Beach you can see the ocean in the background, and the two distinctive tower topped buildings that are still there, though I'm sure development and the Long Beach earthquake have changed things dramatically. The park below may be Lincoln Park (somewhat changed and smaller now) which would mean the whole area of buildings has probably been demolished. that area is all new. There is quite a bit of matte painting work too, which makes it harder to place accurately.

[​IMG]

20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

21. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

I was born and raised in Arcadia, a wonderful place to grow up in. Now, Glendora to me has that small town flavor I used to have.
    The retreat house , and Sierra Madre. A great place to raise a family. Where the small town eatery's host knows most people by their first name. If I recall, his name is Dick Mauer?

The Eagles, at the Bowl? That bearded guy would not by chance drive a primered old Nova, would he?

I could not imagine being born and raised in any other state, much less ever leaving my San Gabriel Valley.

22. Being a SGV native also born in Arcadia, it took me moving out of state to realize what you just said is so true...how I miss the SGV

23. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

This is for you and
    Teddisnoke

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://static.pbsrc.com/flash/input.swf" style="" id="IMGTag-code" bgcolor="transparent" quality="high" name="IMGTag-code" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" swliveconnect="true" allowscriptaccess="always" flashvars="ipt=%5BIMG%5Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fi189.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fz72%2FMazooma1%2FArcadia%2Fimages-12.jpg%5B%2FIMG%5D&trk=image_code_click_FULLVIEW_IMG&width=175&height=21&color=#000000&border=#BDBDBD&cont=IMGTagContainer" height="21" width="175">

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://static.pbsrc.com/flash/input.swf" style="" id="IMGTag-code" bgcolor="transparent" quality="high" name="IMGTag-code" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" swliveconnect="true" allowscriptaccess="always" flashvars="ipt=%5BIMG%5Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fi189.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fz72%2FMazooma1%2FArcadia%2Fimages-12.jpg%5B%2FIMG%5D&trk=image_code_click_FULLVIEW_IMG&width=175&height=21&color=#000000&border=#BDBDBD&cont=IMGTagContainer" height="21" width="175">

24. HAHAHA! That's awesome!!!!! I remember eating there sitting at the tables outside and listening to a drunk hobo scream "milk and fucking water! Milk and water!" To this day Im not sure why he was so upset with milk and water....thanks for those pics

25. Skrap metal

Skrap metal

what awesome pics!!! can anyone tell me....... wtf happened to our country??
    may God bless america.

26. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Many of these photos are current and many of the photos of the old places, well those old places are still here, too.
    Its still a great place to live. I've been within 3 miles of the same spot for 59 years. If you like cars and don't like snow, humidity and bugs, this is the place. I wouldn't change a thing with my life.

27. Thanks for the detective work! :D I thought some of the buildings surrounding Pershing Park in the original picture looked familiar from the movie, but I haven't seen it in a couple years. Have to drag out the tapes and watch it again now. There's a pretty good "the making of" segment at the end of the movie, at least on the version I have.

28. Yeah, I'd like to know too. I suspect that it isn't Lincoln Park in Long Beach because pictures I've found in that era show it was full of big trees. The Lincoln statue was standing, not sitting too.

29. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

WOW! The fountain has memories!! I think every one of us has had a hand in that look at one time or another.

With Taco Lita, well, you either get it or you don't! I've taken people there from outta state, and they think I'm crazy to have taken them to a total white boy Mexican place. My kids get it, though. Taco Lita hot sauce can even make pancakes taste great! Thanks for all the cool pictures!!

Dale