Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mopar 8.75 help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nick1860, Apr 16, 2010.

1. nick1860

nick1860

I got a mopar 8.75 and had 4.88 gears put in its a 489 housing and when I put the axles in it wont turn. I have it narrowed down to the pass side because if I take it out everything turn free and that axle wouldnt bolt up there was about a 1/2 inch gap from tighting up, so I turned the adjuster so it would go tight and still wouldnt turn and ideas. Its an open diff with the gears welded any help would be great thanks Nick Hol

2. does it have the center spacer in it commenly called the "button" if it doesnt that could be your problem what did the axles come out of ? what did the housing come from

as an example a 65 and ealier b-body housing is an inch narrower then a 66 and later and
    ebody housings are inch narrower then a 71 and up b-body but alittle over a inch and half wider then a 66-70 b-body

3. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

what about the adjuster on the one axle ? .

4. nick1860

nick1860

I think the housing and axles came from a late 60's cornet dont know about the center but everything turns free without the pass side axle installed. the rearend was working great before I switched centers out I took out the 742 case and put in a 489 everything else stayed the same

5. ok the button is a small piece that fits between the axles inside the carrier it needs to be there
    just a suggestion while you got apart why dont you buy some "green" axle bearings they do away with the adjuster and i think you can also not worry about the button with them
    i would say that whoever welded up the gears took the button out for what ever reason

is the third member out of the housing ? if it is look into where the axles go into it if you can see through it the botton is gone if the spider gears pin isnt in it then the button is gone

green bearings can be found through any mopar parts dealer last time i bought them they were around 55.00 each well worth it much less hassle
    they are sealed non tapered roller bearings

the button nto being in the third member is the only reason i can think of for youi to have the problem your having

6. clays diff

clays diff

i sounds to me that the 488 has a posi in it and the side that the axel won't go in the two side gears are not lined up and it wont let the axel go in the extra half of a inch seen it happen many times

Clay >>

7. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

Clay is probably wright if the adjusters all the way out and still has a 1/2 inch gap thats gear line up or spacer issue and the spacer is one inch when lying on its side in the housing and 1/2 wide standing up in place ,you only have two places to look .c

8. GTS225

GTS225

I suggest this is the key bit of info in the post.
    WHO welded them, and what exactly is welded to what? Do you have a pic or two that you can post?

I'm thinking it may be that something that shouldn't be welded, did get welded.

Roger

9. nick1860

nick1860

So I tore it back down this morning and took the housing out and the center pin hadsome weld splatter on it so it was not letting the cross pin move side to side I chipped it off and it seems to be moving fine. So I put it back in now everything turns fine who would have thought. So apparently that pin was wedged to one side from the splatter so thats why the axle wouldnt go in. Thanks guys for all the info