Register now to get rid of these ads!

got a Bargain on a 48 chevy coupe.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mac_55, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Mac_55

Mac_55

Was going through town today , and saw an old torn up car cover that i never paid any attention to in the past , Well today , the wind blew the front of the cover up and Low and behold this was underneath it .

Its had a repaint years ago but thats it , the old car is in Excellent shape , and the 216 runs like a singer sewing machine. Has the grille gaurd " which didnt work to well" ha ha ha , Its just a neat old car . 86.000 original miles

I called the guy to see if it was for sale and he said " Yeah , but it would take a big offer to get me to sell it . " So i asked what kinda money was he talking. He says " well , i wouldnt cut her loose for a dime less than 1000."

Took me about 5 minutes to make the 10 mile drive back to town to pay the man ha ha ha.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 40hemicpe

40hemicpe
    from anaheim.ca

just got a hold of a 48 coupe myself....man that car is nice...:)

3. 40hemicpe

40hemicpe
    from anaheim.ca

$1000..?..man the steering wheel is worth that:eek:

4. Hotrod7

Hotrod7

wow 1000 bucks. So jealous. i wouldnt touch that thing, id drive the wheels off of it as is.

Congrats on the find/steal!

5. That's not a bargain, that's a steal...at twice the price. Go buy some lottery tickets now. Nice auto.

6. PRO 48 fleetline

PRO 48 fleetline
    BANNED
    from ohio

Great find that is a sweet original but it would be a geat street machine and look great slammed!

7. You lucky bastard!!

8. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

man if you were a sailor you would be a pirate after that score lmao awesome deal that thing is shweeet a grand unbelievable

9. roddinron

roddinron

Nice score, might have a leaky back window though, looks like the rear seats wet.

10. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Cool! Send him a Christmas card every year.

11. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

Just look at that dash!

12. James427

James427
    BANNED

That's one hell of a SCORE!!! Cool that you got it out from under that damp car cover.

13. historynw

historynw

I'll double you money right now! You don't want that old thing. It has no radio. :rolleyes:

14. Holyshit!!!! WOW what a steal !!!! Do you want to sell it ? Just kidding man ;) Stuff like that NEVER happens to me.

15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did the guy have an episode of alzheimer's?

16. Man, what a great deal. Drive the wheels off of it as it is. If you like it after you get to know it you'll know what you really want to do with it.

17. olskool34

olskool34

Very nice purchase!! Wow, great find, I would have grabbed it in a minute. I agree with hotrod 7, drive the car as is!

18. bofusmosby

bofusmosby

Great car!!! I agree with some of the others, you should leave it as it is. When you come across an original survivor in this condition, it'd be a shame to chop this one up. This car is one in a million. Enjoy!

19. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Cool car, good for you!

20. t5stang91

t5stang91

wish the interior in mine was that nice , good score

21. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Sold my 48 last month...you got a great deal and what looks to be a great car! Congrats!:D

22. PITRE ART

PITRE ART

Wow,what a score!Congrats!

23. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

It's simply amazing to find a car in that kind of origional condition. If I didn't leave it like it is and recondition anything that needs attention I'd be tempted to do a 292 (late model 6) 5-6 spd transplant and a late Camaro rearend.
    This would be followed by racking up a bunch of miles with a wide grin on my face.

Frank

24. Mac_55

Mac_55

Honestly guys , Im not up on these post war Chevys, ive always been more into the 55's . My Dad however fell in love with this car , said it was the pricier version of the one he had for a first car that he gave 50 bucks for ha ha.

We had just gotten done with pouring a driveway and me and dad took a ride , Our town is really small with only 5000 people and i thought i knew of all the old cars here but apparently not.

I saw the nose sticking out and the silohete and knew it was a coupe , the way the fella talked on the phone and after giving the front end a once over from the road i figured he was gonna be asking somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 for it , but when he spit out a grand i figured , " ehh , yeah i need another" Now have 2 55's in the garage and this 48 . Gonna adjust the brakes in the morning because the front shoes have swelled a little from sitting , and the fuel pump is a little weak so i gotta replace that or rebuild it , Besides those 2 things , everything on the car seems to work flawlessly. And i didnt know about those wheels being so expensive ha ha ha , I thought you were pulling my leg until i looked them up.

25. billys54

billys54

26. Mac_55

Mac_55

ohh , and inside the trunk looks better than the interior , Still has all the equipment , the spare , the hold downs and the carpeted cover that clips inside the rim , Still has the complete jack and the jacking instructions tag hanging on it.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  27. Moondog13

Moondog13

I'm envious! Great find/buy! :D

28. nutajunka

nutajunka

Like he said, I've seen them steering wheels go for a thousand. I have one, but no where near as nice as yours. Play the lottery.

29. Mac_55

Mac_55

Here are some more pictures , The only real rust issue is on the pass front fender , it has a through spot that can be easily fixed .

All the braces under the car and the floor pans have no rot through , only surface rust.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]