Register now to get rid of these ads!

teaching a new dog oldschool tricks.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 69f100, Apr 15, 2010.

1. MadJack68

MadJack68

As with learning to drive anything learning to stop can be much more important than learning to go. Make sure you push in the clutch before (or while) you are pressing the brake pedal. Like Edgefind said learning to take off on a hill without rolling back will be the hardest part. Luckily the old Ford clutch is pretty forgiving and doesn't engage right off the floor like a new car. Make a habit of pressing in the clutch when you start the truck. Most likely it doesn't have an ignition interlock but it will save you from starting the truck in gear. Newer cars require the clutch pedal to be depressed when starting anyway.
    My vote is keep the three on the tree if you keep a 3spd in it. More passenger leg room that way. Saves you from reaching between someones legs if you don't wanna.

2. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

If you get a driving license for a automatic in Sweden its illegal to drive a manual car.

^^^^ that's the most ridiculous thing I have read here in quite some time.[/QUOTE]

Well its way harder to drive a manual car than an automatic.
    You got to know what your doing before you get in the traffic,if you cant shift then you dont belong on the roads with others.

Its not enough that swedish girls look better than yours,were better cardrivers too :D

3. Let the clutch pedal out slow. It will jerk if you don't. Don't worry about shifting into other gears, at first. Getting a feel for the spot where the clutch engages & disengages is most important. So just practice letting the clutch out first. Have fun and stay positive.. you drop IQ points when you get upset!

4. Payaso

Payaso

For me learning how to ride a motorcycle first, made driving a manual a piece-o-cake!! Much more Fun too...

I'm not saying go out and buy a motorcycle...

When you can get both hands and both feet working seperately to get something in motion...sometimes FAST...my 3-on-the-tree Chevy II was easy!!

Practice...remember the clutch is your bestfriend...it'll keep your motor lit and your brakes alive!

Good Luck!!