Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Modified Murray - Race to the road! Progress in Review!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jan 19, 2010.

1. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

from an artist view point option c is the cleanest looking. option b would IMO almost ruin the body line.. IMO

2. llonning

llonning

With the tires and wheels hiding the lower quarter, as in the pic, it looks better. Looking at it without them, there is too much of a curve in the lower body. Myself I would have to 'square' it up some. It just looks too much like a claw foot tub,without the claws, for my taste. I know personal preference and all that, it is just my perception of what I would do.

Believe me I am not knocking or belittling your vision, or your talents, (damn, great talents) just my opinion, and I have been wrong before and will be again.

Just so you know, every time I log on the first thing I do is check this thread for updates.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep! That's pretty much how I've been feeling as well. Thanks for your input! I appreciate it!

4. C for me, and you look like you are pinching off a loaf in the OCC picture.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] Can someone photoshop a hood with wide louvers? I've always pictured this build with a hood based on the wide Bugatti style louvers.

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am INDEED going to build a hood for this car. I probably won't run it most of the time, but I want it for road trips and such. I was thinking Bugatti style, reversed, lovers would indeed be very cool for it. Unfortunately there will be a bulge or two for the Hemi as well. :rolleyes::D

ALSO! Something to take note of on that picture... The grille is higher than it sits now. It won't appear level. I did a TON of work to lower that grille shell the 3/4" or so that it needed to make it sit where it should be.

7. THE SPEED ADDICT

THE SPEED ADDICT

Great build! Keep it coming!

8. I hate to say it Scooter, but you look like you're feeling the aftershock of a really bad burrito!

[​IMG]

Lovin' the updates- can't wait to see it finished... you ARE going to do a multi-state tour so that we can all get a ride in it... right?!

9. freebird101

freebird101

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, since this is back up, I'll tell you what I've been up to...

I've decided to go ahead and paint the frame its final color before reassembly. I was going to put the frame and body in primer and run around for awhile, but if I ever want the damn thing done I need to just get the final paint and do what I need to do. The body will remain in sort of a primered/raw state since it's pretty easy to remove. I'll drive it around with the body unfinished and pick at it one weekend at a time until all the body work is done and then pull it off one final time and shoot it.

I got the gloss black paint for the suspension and drive train parts. Just need to get some primer and get that step going. I know the final color of the car now, but need to go to a paint store and get the actual code so it can be ordered.

While saving my pennies to get all the paint supplies in-house, I'm working on the interior of the body to get all the loose ends wrapped up. Forgot how much there is to do inside. Not to mention how difficult it's been trying to keep up with the surface rust.

Here's some pictures from this past weekend. Worked on the driver's side door sil and A-pillar supports that tie the cowl structure into the A-pillar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Looking Good Dude! That rocker step is just beautiful.

12. chaddilac

chaddilac

What's going on in this photo scooter.... looks like the A pillar is gimped up? Did you already have a wreck? :D

Looks like it's going to be hard to flush fit some kick panels??

[​IMG]

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a 1/4" plate (both sides of the car) that ties the whole cowl structure into the A-pillar. It has sort of a twist to it because of how the cowl structure's tubing ties into the subfloor at the bottom.

There won't be much of a kick panel inside. Maybe no kick panel at all. Not sure yet. If so, they will be up against the inside of the cowl sheetmetal. I need all the room I can get for three pedals! :eek: Channeled cars suck...

14. 73RR

73RR

Hey Scooter, I don't want to jump to far ahead, but am curious about your plans for sound deading/panel vibration control and of course some heat control.

The car is beautiful, the porportions are dead on, and, did I mention that I am jealous...:D

Gary

15. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAHAHA!! Yep! I know! I actually got more done than just that, but didn't take pictures. Cleaned up a bunch of other welds and started getting the surface rust off the body again. TON of work, but not really worthy of pictures. OH! And I did this the same weekend, thanks to Aerocraftsman! I bought my paint from AeroCraftsman, so while I was there I got so see what a REAL roadster is like! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay! Vibration/sound deadening stuff. The doors, firewall (outside face behind the aluminum insert), and the rest of the interior panels and floors will get something like Lizard Skin or maybe something like Hushmat or similar type. Then upholestery on top of that, which will be sort of a headliner material.

Can't wait to get that Hemi back in the car, Gary! I want to hear it run again! I miss it, after all that work put into it! :eek:

17. What did you end up buying for paint after all our discussions?

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got a 2-part Polyurethane single stage gloss black. This particular type is very durable, is flexible, UV proof, can be color sanded, and can be sprayed over epoxy primer with a normal gun. Off-the-shelf price is reasonable as well. THE DOWN SIDE: It has high levels of Polyisocyanates and a fresh-air respirator system will have to be used. Bummer... I think it will be worth it though.

I'm still leaning towards a single stage Acrylic Enamel for the rest of the car though.

19. Nice, that is what I painted a bike with and the touring........plus the third nipple I grew from the paint really isn't THAT noticeable!:eek:

20. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

What's up? Car Shows and Teqilla keeping you out of the shop?

Jeff

21. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HA! Nope! Not at all! Seems life responsibilities have ruled the playing field lately! I'm hardly getting any time at all in the shop. THREE weddings just in the month of May and a photoshoot I did for a good friend of mine for an east Coast rag.

[​IMG]

But, a few people have asked so I'll post what's up...

Mostly, I've just been prepping parts for primer and paint. I never realized how many damn parts I still had to spend time with. I would like to shoot primer on as many parts as possible on the first go-around so I don't have to do multiple setups. So, it's been a lot of elbow grease and packing parts into bags and boxes to keep out them clean. Was working on the inside of the body quite a bit trying to get the door sills done and get the inside ready for primer. Slow going and now that I have the primer and black paint on hand, I want to get parts ready for color. I will order the actual blue paint for the car probably next week or the following. Just waiting on some people to pay up that owe me money.

In the mean time, here's the progress photos, which aren't too exciting.

Passenger door sill pretty much done now. Few little things to address, but pretty much done...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steering column also ready...

[​IMG]

The other thing that needed to be addressed, that I felt motivated to work on, was getting the wide-five adapters, with their new studs, to sit flat up against the brake drums. Super important that there is no gap, or I'm asking for serious issues!

[​IMG]

Obvious gap...

[​IMG]

Solution: Mill about .100" off the back end of the wheel studs...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No more gap!

[​IMG]

Headlight buckets are basically ready for primer. Need to address the garbage that's inside. The 28/29 commercial buckets were mis-matched. One had been nickel plated and was flaking off. Took off all the peeled plating and then some to be sure the plating wouldn't lift or flake off under the paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not much else worth showing, except that I started making the adapter bonnets/flanges for the fuel tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's about it for now. Wish I had more to report. Just a bad month. June should be more productive. Have to start doing some late week-nights and definitely more dedicated time on weekends. Should be able to start priming REALLY soon! Excited to lay some color down on these parts!! Huge step, once it happens, though! :cool:

22. llonning

llonning

About time!!!! Have you decided what to do with the lower rear panel issue??

23. N8B

N8B

Shoot Scooter.
    Just drive this up for the weekend....
    We can finish it up at the compound.

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What I've decided to do is just wait until the body is back on before wasting anymore brain power on that piece. Figure there is nothing I can do with it all apart anyway.

I will paint the frame and suspension components, paint the underside of the body with undercoat or bedliner, and then put the body back on and finish what I have to finish to get it on the road. I will finish up the body while I'm driving it. The rest of the metal work related to the body can be finished with the body in place.

25. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

I'll go too!! Family reunion con carne asada and car parts.

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Always great to see you posting updates! I'm actually making progress on my '30 Roadster body, I try to do something every day.

27. N8B

N8B

Well Hot Damn. We got enough room at the compound for everyone. Just don't forget your purple sneakers.

Scooter, If you need any parts let me know and I will dig through the shop and get them ready.

28. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks everyone!

Thanks brotha! I appreciate it. I don't think I need anything though. Unless you have a McLeod clutch and hydraulic t-out bearing laying around. :D That's about all I have left for the major parts.

29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay... Some "smurfy" progress!

This probably won't look like much of a progress report, but I'm hear to tell you that there is a ton of work getting to this point from the last update! Prep, prep, and MORE PREP!!!! All in the name of getting the primer down!

I've had just an insane amount of help from aerocraftsman, slowandlow63, overspray, pimpin paint, and several others! Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to hold my hand through the painting process. This is my first time REALLY using professional quality paints/coatings. I've done a TON of body work in the past, but never top coated with anything worth mentioning. I even had to get used to something other than a spray can... HLVP gun.

So here's something to look at. It's hard on the eyes but it represents SERIOUS progress and a TON of knowledge earned during all this. Super excited about this. Everything that I primered will be GLOSS BLACK!

The primer is Valspar's new DTM Epoxy Primer. It's available in a whole booklet of colors and they can mix it custom if you want to run around in a certain color before going all the way. It will even reduce further so it can be used as a sealer coat. I went with a blue thinking it would be a nice base coat for the single stage that will get put down over top and that I thought would be a little darker... but... well... ended up super bright and smurfy! Put your sunglasses on! :eek:

The small parts masked and ready to hang up...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Axle ready for wipe-down...

[​IMG]

There were a few pieces that I really wanted more of a finished look. So in the end you will see most of the visual welds will be smoothed. In this case I used Rage Gold and followed up with some sanding to get rid of 90% of what I put down. This is the radiator support.

[​IMG]

There's a couple other pieces, but it will be up to the masses to figure out what and where got filler. Not much did... (thank god!) I just wanted some pieces to have that "cast" appearance as much as possible.

Steering column got filler and skim coat beause the tapered tube portion was just driving me nuts. It was made from a piece of tubing and got 4 pie-cuts to get the shape. Didn't turn out perfectly round, but damn close. Want it as close to round as possible, so it looked like before primer went down.

[​IMG]

Quickie and steering column ready to be wiped down...

[​IMG]

And now for the blue...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have some block sanding to do and a couple runs that need attention, but mostly I'm ready for BLACK!

I decided that I really wanted the durability of a two-part, single stage, Polyurethane. So I'm using an aircraft/industrial coating that's pretty similar to the Imron type paint. And since it has plenty of Polyisocyanates in the mist, I decided to follow the manufacturer's recomendations to buy a Fresh-Air Supplied Respirator to protect myself. The respirator is made by Hobby Air, and since I'm not doing this on a production basis, I think it will do the job just fine!

[​IMG]

So this weekend it's on to laying down some gloss black on all the PITA parts, and the suspension parts. Then I will start the parts that will be the final blue I've chosen for the sheetmetal. Frame, grille shell, headlights, tail lights, dash rail, garnish moldings, fuel tank, etc., etc,.... Another million hours of prep... GAH!

So that's where I am! I have to say HATS OFF to those of you that paint for a living or even on a regular basis! This is an absolute sh!t ton of work! It's been fun learning the process, though! Getting better every time I mix a batch of paint.

The real good news is, that once these parts turn black, and I get the frame painted it's final color, I can start reassembly. THAT is very good!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  30. lorodz

lorodz