Register now to get rid of these ads!

Title and Registration Question CA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Scott

Scott

Have a chance to get an old falcon, its titled but has not been registered since 1999 and was not non-opped. What are my responsibilities if I buy the vehicle

2. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

To get it legally registered - Yes it's a hassle - but if you don't they will bury you with fines and penalties - they CA just passed some new laws to that effect.

3. brewsir

brewsir

4. piche582

piche582
    from Sonora, Ca

Not sure about new laws being passed, but if everything is still how it used to be than registering a car in CA that isn't in the DMV system is pretty easy. Just take the bill of sale/title and a Statement of Facts form filled out by the P/O to the DMV and wait in line. You'll pay the Reg. fees etc. and they give you a VIN verify form that a PD officer will have to fill out and sign after checking out the car to make sure the VIN is legit. Return that to the DMV and pick up your plates & registraiton. Atleast thats how I used to do it, but its been a few years.

5. daveyboy56

daveyboy56

Ok here is the BEST thing to do!!
    Go pay AAA the $65 and get the road side service only. Now that lets you use them to Register your car no probs. with them. Just tell them you just got the car and you will not pay any of the old fines. Plus you get the road side servers for the year. no lines at AAA and soft seats to boot IN and OUT in 10 min or less

6. daveyboy56

daveyboy56

You NEVER have to pay for someones back fees. Or Shall i say I have NEVER paid them using AAA

7. rokcrln

rokcrln

Here in Ca. I have never had to pay back fee's on a vehicle that is out of the system and I think that is after 7yrs. If you have the legit title then their is no problem getting it done.

Kevin
    LFD Inc.

8. Why, oh why do folks make assumptions about laws in states other than one's in which they reside, and obviously know nothing about?

9. filthy frank

filthy frank

last time i checked it was 4 years and its out of their data bank.

10. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

it should be out of the system if it's been unregistered since 99. just call and give them the vin and they can look it up for you.

11. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

The crazy thing is that EVERY time I go to the DMV its never the same.I have registered three vehicle this year all without titles and out of the system,each time I went I had to go through something different.I did fill out the statement of facts everytime I know that much.Hell the last one I did I figured I would get ahead of the game and I went and got all the forms filled out,even had the vin verified and when I walked in the lady only looked at the statement of facts form and handed the rest back to me took my cash and handed me tags and said have a nice day.So by all means the best person to ask is THE DMV.Everyone on this board will have a different experience with hopefully the same results(reg&tags)good luck my friend!

12. the lights

the lights

I just had to do this on my truck. had the title, but they wanted a statement of facts, and a vin verification. If I had to do it again I would get the vin first so you dont have to make a return trip to the dmv. like everyone else has said, if its out of the system then the only fees you are going to pay are the new registration and plate fees.

13. Yep you had the ol girl(YOUR CAR) in the yard for the past 30 yrs and now you want to get it back on the road but you lost the paper work! then you will need to get the vin verified( they can do it there) and fill our a form saying it is part of your collection(which they have and will not give up easily) and it has not been on any public road(non op) and pay the 60 bucks or so and done deal.

14. j conrad

j conrad

AAA is your friend !!!!! i would pay triple the price for the membership not to have to go to the dmv.. plus they handle just about everything u will need to do even the vin verifications and its always quick in and out

15. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I completely agree about the AAA...I avoid the DMV like the plague....also...I have heard that if you register it in CA as a historical vehicle they waive the back fees. There is no usage or funny restrictions on a car if it is historical its just a classification...look into that...

16. Hotrod7

Hotrod7

+1 for AAA just got all the paperwork [that i regretably blew off for a long time] for my shoebox straightened out in one short visit [like 15 minutes] didnt have to wait in line or anything. Sucky part was i had to pay some "caliofnria use tax" which was 280 dollars or something, maybe less i cant remember.

17. big creep

big creep

you should go to the dmv, ask for a manager and they should lower the penalties, if not remove them all. just write a letter and take the bill of sale. thats what a friend of mind did. and thats after i asked my aunt who works for the dmv told me to do! they removed 400 bucks!

18. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

There are no back fees for you to pay if it's out of the system. Statement of Facts form says it hasn't been used/driven/towed on a road for the last X years. If you just go stand in line, they'll likely tell you that you have to pay all the fines/back fees, you DO NOT HAVE TO. I've done this registration process on a car and a m/c.

Didn't know that about AAA, that's awesome. I've been kicking around the idea of switching to them from State Farm.

19. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

the back registration gets attached to the title of the car (not literally) so if you buy the car, you assume the debt. its sucks and can really sway the price range on getting old iron up and running again

20. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

You're mistaken on this one, doesn't matter if the prev owner non-opped or not, last registration was '99, it IS out of the DMV system. Statement of Facts or AAA and you don't have to pay back fees.

21. VonWegener

VonWegener

Paradox - I think they changed that for 2010. I heard from several people that the new owner is not responsible for the back fees and penalties now. Have not tried it out myself yet.

22. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep. They changed it; Now they don't charge the new guy with somebody elses late fees.

It's no longer the last guys penalty, it's yours!

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/fees/reg_fees.htm

:D Go figure, Ha.

Whether it's an "initial registration application" or "renewal application" , Failing to act promptly in either case has penalties; See those at the DMV website; http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/fees/reg_fees.htm

All that said, you Cali guys are lucky. Colorado is doing a lot better job of screwing us with registration fees........................

23. big creep

big creep

do what i said, couldnt hurt. remember triple A cant do everything the dmv does, only the mangers can over turn penalties at the dmv. i just spoke with my aunt. hope this helps, good luck.

24. knotheads

knotheads

i loved california AAA for just that reason,no hastles on paperwork and usually not much of a line.

25. knotheads

knotheads

if it was not non-opped be prepaired to spend some heavy fines.