Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A crossmember

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by prewarcars4me, Apr 15, 2010.

1. I have a cnc plasma and just finished programming a fairly stock looking front Model A crossmember to cut out.

Mild small block/auto, 2 door sedan.

My question is, what thickness of steel is a stock front one? This isn't like Speedways that is almost straight, this has the save "v" as a stock one. What size do you guys think I should use?

Thanks.

2. N8B

N8B

Don't know stock I could run out and measure it for you in a bit but I would believe 3/16" would do ya good.

3. If it is convienent, if not, don't sweat it. I am hoping to start in on the frame on Saturday if I can get the time.

4. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

I measured just under 3/16.

5. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

Just had a look at ours , just a tad under 4mm.

6. Looks like 3/16" it is. Thanks guys. :)

7. 5/32,,,,,, I had to go look at a conversion chart,lol.

8. wheelbilly

wheelbilly

Really? I was thinking .090 would do the trick after looking at stock rear cross members and trying to remember what my front was. From a model T however. .1875 huh?

9. I would have thought 1/8", but seeing how they actually measured one, I have no issues doing 3/16"

10. bct

bct

what size are your u-bolts? 2 1/8" might be harder to source

11. 7ga .175
    3/16 .188

either should be fine

12. Bolt tabs on front and back, with a retainer plate bolted directly, no "u bolts".