Register now to get rid of these ads!

Death Match: Model A Slant Window v. Model A Non Slant Window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Baja Bandido, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Baja Bandido

Baja Bandido

As some of you may know I've been on the hunt for a fordor Model A for some time now and have received lots of help via PMs from members here on The Hamb. I may have the option to pick up a slant window 1931 Model A but what I would like to know is what are the pros and cons to each vehicle? I'm more interested in the non-slant window but this 31 slant is just in such great shape I don't think I can pass it up.

Some background on what I am hoping to build is a channeled / no chop / all doors working fordor Model A. Pretty much a driver that can fit four people (wife and two sons) and drive some distance without worrying too much. I have a spare 351W, C6 tranny with a 9" rear end for this project.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Chris

2. tinmann

tinmann

Let see if I've got my facts straight...... The slant windshield fordor was made by Murray. It's pretty much a solid steel body. The fordor is by Briggs and almost entirely wood with tin tacked over. 80 years later, which one do you suppose will have held it's shape better? The slant windshield also shares body lines with the Vicky and A-400.... making it more valuable should you part one out. I sacrificed one to mate up with a Vicky bustle that I found in the toolies.

29EHV8 likes this.
  3. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

I don't know how far you can channel it before this would be a problem with the back seat. something to check into.

4. Baja Bandido

Baja Bandido

Thanks Tinman and Rpmrex. Definitely bonus points to the slant for an all metal body no doubt there has to be some pros to the non slant, no?

5. Pros for non slant---If ya screw something up, there are a lot more original non slant model A's around to get replacement parts from:eek::eek:. I don't intend this to be as negative as it reads.:D:D

6. build the wooden one... its probably dead already
    no sence killing a nice one
    but i am partial to the slants
    tk

7. metal man

metal man

Here's my slant .I like the lines better than the Briggs.It's interesting that they share garnish mouldings with the 32 fordor .The slant (Murray) really has nice lines if you stand back and look at it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  8. metal man

metal man

yes, just when I think I know my shit about A's, I learn something new.He's right Tinmann, they were kind of all over the place ,but most of the slant fordors were Murrays and steel .Mine is all steel, even the floor.Rock solid.

9. tinmann

tinmann

The beautiful thing about the HAMB is, someone always has a little more expertise than you, so unless you are incredibly close-minded, you can't help but learn something everyday......... I stand corrected.

10. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

take the slant. I think its a better looking body

11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Capture that steel Slant Windshield Fordor and make yourself a nice ride.
    Remember, the name of the game is to get the best and most complete body you can find/afford. It saves barrels of money staring with straight, rust free or close, complete and cheap.

12. Baja Bandido

Baja Bandido

Thanks for all your input gang. Looks like the Slant Windshield has won this death match. :)

13. deucegarage

deucegarage

Just FYI, and not to argue, but the 31 slant and the 32 fordor do not share garnish moldings. Similar, but different. I've own both cars.

Also, the 32 Fordors were all(?) made by Briggs.

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Exactly what I was going to say. But I've never found a Vicky bustle...yet.:)