Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cleaning aluminum intakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopt31, Apr 15, 2010.

1. chopt31

chopt31

any secret formula's out there for cleaning aluminum intakes? i really HATE glassbeading an intake, its not corroded, just tarnished

thanks

2. slobroy

slobroy

baking soda...

3. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Mothers has/had a spray mag/aluminum cleaner that was not good for clearcoat or paint. It is kinda harsh but really cleans up raw aluminum. Usually just spray on, let soak, and hose off. There is also a aluminum spray cleaner that a buddy got from a truck stop. It I think was made by a company called eagle? Not sure...but it was for raw aluminum as well. That one said to avoid clearcoats, paint, and polished surfaces. He used it on a few wheels and an intake for his truck, and it cleaned them up nicely.

4. mosthumanmofo

mosthumanmofo

We use Zep alum available at heavy truck suppliers. This product works very well.

5. flatheadhero

flatheadhero
    from California

6. big creep

big creep

if its just raw aluminum, i use brake cleaner, just spray and wipe with a clean towel.

7. Shot peen it. Looks new and a little sheen to it.

8. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

9. al bundy

al bundy
    from bay area

use it on magnessium!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:.....it works

10. jandersonheads

jandersonheads

If you don't like the glass bead look and are sick of stained aluminum. We have a guy here in town that runs intakes through a tumbler for us. It tumbles the aluminum with broken auto glass as a media (think rock tumbler for aluminum). It doesn't polish the aluminum, but it does seal the aluminum so that it doesn't seem to stain. Has a little shine to it, but not a polish by any means

11. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

Have it hydo cleaned. They use high pressure water, soap & a glass bead material. The finish looks original. I have also used DURO aluminum cleaner. It may take a few coats, but works great also.

12. I've used Zep Citrus degreaser, hot water, and a scotch brite pad on the Offy I'm running now...seemed to work great.

13. chopt31

chopt31

thanks guys, will let you know the outcome, have plenty of stuff to try

14. Side

Side
    from Berlin, OK

Dish washer with twice the soap. Only when the ol lady's not around. She will still find out though.

15. big creep

big creep

hahahaha, my buddy does this at the work dishwasher! when no ones around.:D and yea it comes out kickass!

16. dishwasher X3! sure kicks ass on hubcaps and engine blocks!