Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Frankenlathe.... opinions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boozoo, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

Remember this too:

On SB lathes made BEFORE the QC gearbox was optional, you may have fitment problems installing a QC gearbox if you want to upgrade.

If you have an early 9C , there are some problems with the bed where you would attach the gearbox as on a 9A.

Shawn

2. boozoo

boozoo

Here's a few more in my immediate area.

I'm going to look at this one this afternoon. Says it's a South Bend...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

There's also this cool looking Logan 200 but it's stuck on a wood cabinet instead of the stand I've been seeing others one come with.
    [​IMG]

Then there's this monster. I know no details about size but I'm guessing based on some web searching today to compare against this teeny picture that it's a Monarch Model 0 15x30 but I can't be sure and don't have any specific info on it yet. The price is so low for its size that it has me wondering what's wrong with it other than being so big and in a semi-remote area that no one's nibbling at it.
    [​IMG]

Of course I sit there drooling at that one and then wonder where the hell would I put it, would I really need one that big, is the short length a problem, and when I DO manage to get a new job in TX, moving it will be a beotch! LOL

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

My .02 ! You will soon learn to hate any lathe without a quick change gearbox. Even just turning not being able to quickly/easily change the rate of feeds becomes a pain. A decent import ie Chinese lathe is a much better deal than a old tired worn American machine. I have either owned or ran most of the smaller American stuff and I will say I perfer the Logans to Atlas and SBs. Other than the Logans sold by Wards most were more of industrail quality than than Atlas & SB. When it was time to up grade from my QC Atlas I went to a better quality new Chinese 12X36 gearhead. After 4 years of regular use I'm still happy I went that way.

By the way I would love to have that Monarch .but about 5000 lbs and 7HP 3 phase most people in a home shop wouldn't. Just missed a simular one locally last month for $1200 . DANG IT!!

Happy metal cutting.

4. I paid 500 for this Sheldon 13x53 with a 6 jaw chuck and a bit of tooling and it's in great shape.....they're out there, found this on C.L.
    [​IMG]

5. B Blue

B Blue

Now that Monarch is a MAN'S lathe. They are massive and larger than rated. The only problem with such a lathe (monster, really) is they will flat wear your butt down to nothing. Everything is massive and while the components move smoothly, it is with considerable effort. A few days standing in front of one will tone you up real good.

Check out its top speed. Some lathes of that size have a max speed of about 5-600 rpm.

Bill

6. boozoo

boozoo

So here is what I ended up with - I was thinking I had a long protracted search on my hands, but through the wonders of Craig's List, this Logan Model 1955 popped up for $500. It's an 11x24 with a 1 3/8" spindle bore (most of the smaller rigs I looked at had 25/32"). Not quite as much heft as that super cool Sheldon, but I did see a couple of lathes that size and figured this one is just about right for me. I can always search again later on and "trade up" if I change my mind. :)

Still have to level it and start checking it over to see if it needs any other fussing.

It's supposed to be "battleship gray", but it allegedly came out of an old Muncie John Deere plant. But, as I mentioned on another board, "cosmetic engineering" is best done by a young son who needs the money while a supervising dad drinks beer and watches him. ;)

Thanks again for all the advice y'all offered up. It was a tremendous help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

P.S. Sorry about the busted links in the earlier posts - I pulled those pics down since I found this one.

7. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The spindle bore is larger because your lathe has a collet attachment . A very handy option if running a large batch of same dia. parts.

8. B Blue

B Blue

Or possibly just the opposite: The lathe has a collet attachment because it has a larger spindle bore. I really doubt the factory produced a model specifically for use with collets.

Looks like a much better deal than the SB. If it is in decent shape, your in tall clover!

9. boozoo

boozoo

Thanks! Ways are excellent on it... the head stock and gears are excellent. Definitely could use a good scrub down and cleaning.

What I learned along the way is the Logan 9 and 10" ers all had smaller spindle bores (and the 9" South Bends), but the 11 and 12" Logans had the bigger bore... and I could hear the great advice y'all gave me screaming in my head that the larger bore would be a very good thing to have.

Of course you know my next posts are probably going to be asking all sorts of "how to" and "what does this do" questions :)

Once I get this up and running, it's on to the little foundry I'm putting together for aluminum.

10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Congratulations on getting such a good lathe. Be sure and get an operators manual too.

11. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Next step toss that rocker tool post and get a Aloris style wedge post and holders. Decent import stuff can be had for about $150 for post and 5 holders. And learn how to properly grind HS tooling,in many cases it is much better than carbide.

12. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

you did good boozoo that looks like a nice machine and the extra stuff it came with is well worth it ,

13. gas pumper

gas pumper

+1 on the you did good.

You will be amazed at how you did without a lathe before this.

It's the #2 tool to have right after the air compressor.

Every car project I do produces a 5 gal bucket of chips. I use my lathes almost every day.

Some outside jobs are cash and most are paid for with beer, not a bad thing. Trading chips for beer.

Have fun.

Frank

14. Nice find...way better than your first choice.....I love Craigs List....