Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shopping for car insurance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, Apr 3, 2010.

1. shainerman

shainerman

I may be the only one, but I shopped for DAYS and ended up with Shelter. They have my home insurance and I figured I ask because they are super nice (I mean hot receptionist). They SMASHED Grundy and Hagerty. Just a suggestion.

2. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Shane how much did Grundy quote you? They are usually hard to beat on price

3. KSLeadslinger

KSLeadslinger

It is probably a good idea to go with a one of the standard insurance companys for specialty cars such as Hagarty. If you should have a reason (god forbid) that you need to use the coverage you're more likely to get someone that has a clue about the car and will understand what it will take to repair it. I work for an insurance company and I am one of the few people in our company that has any actual interest in cars let alone have a clue about what goes into fixing them..just my 2 cents..

4. srdart67

srdart67
    from Sharon, Wi

state farm for me $96 a month for 2classic cars and one daily full coverage sr22 and rental ins. im 22 got a terrible problem with my heavy foot loose knees and cops behind me.

5. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I was really being facetious. Sorry if that was confusing. My ENTIRE concern with insurance is making sure to understand everything prior to a possibly claim or argument.

I prefer Grundy based on a number of people I know that have used them successfully, with and without claims.

Personally, I have a quote but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Need to make it happen and change from my current insurance...

6. Locogringo

Locogringo
    from Dallas

I have two "antique" cars insured with JC Taylor and I wanted to add the hearse. It was submitted to Foremost Insurance Agency because it is "modified". They turned me down saying it "needs paint" (what BS) so I looking to move it all to Grundy now!

7. FIFTY2

FIFTY2

Grundy, no mileage limitations, easy to work with, did mine via Email, 170 for 10k agreed value. They have been cool about uping the value when I call and ask, started at 5K before paint, ect...

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I'm sure that hot receptionist is going to be right there holding your hand while you make a claim for you classic car with them.;)

9. shainerman

shainerman

Haha, you're probably right Denise. Actually its funny you bumped this because I was just talking to them earlier about getting a better policy now that my car is coming together. I got a few sample policies from the big 2 and we'll see if Shelter can come close to what I want. I may also be in the wrong crowd, considering my cars probably only worth 200 bucks compared to most of yours, haha.

10. 5window

5window

Whatever insurance you go with make sure of what the policy states,in writing for your state. Coverage often is tempered and changed by specific state laws. Being told by any agent what you can or cannot do "on occasion" means nothing at the time of the claim. The only recourse you have is exactly what is stated in the policy and if it's not there you are not going to get paid no matter who says it verbally or how hot the receptionist is.

11. long island vic

long island vic

anyone have a problem with a (((rat rod))) hate that term..my new project is safe and trick but it looks the look..will i get hassled by the pictures and wanting it insured for about 10g

12. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by redlinetoys [​IMG]
    Denise, What do you say about Grundy not covering your car if you drive it to work since you say you are covered 100% of the time (except on the track)?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hate to bump an old thread but I havn't seen anyone mention the "APPLICANTS STATEMENT" on the Grundy contract.

After spending several hours reading differnent threads about insurance, I was hooked on going with Grundy. The first stumble was that the online quote was different than the actual. No big deal, I was still ready to go with them until I'm asked to sign the "APPLICANTS STATEMENT". " I warrant my collector vehicle will be used and maintained for hobby purposes and exhibition and not for racing,rallying, general transportation or backup transportation." Even if the contract doesn't state no general use, I would be signing that I'm not going to use the car for anything but a car event.

13. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Thanks for all the advice. I have State Farm on all of my vehicles, daily drivers, and vintage. I have been thinking of switching to either Grundy or Hagerty for the 2 vintage cars in my fleet.

14. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

Which company did you end up going with?

Saw on another thread where someone checked the box on the Grundy application that they would occasionally be driving to work and run errands and they were denied coverage. The "applicants statement" on the app seems pretty clear no driving to anything but a car event as well.

15. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I did the search a number of years ago looking for classic insurance that would allow me to drive my cars. Grundy offered unlimited mileage, but no driving to and from work. Hagerty also did not allow daily transportation, and limited me to 2000 miles a year. My old cars are all I own. I don't have a late model daily. In the end I stuck with USAA whom I've been with for 20 years now. I had a claim 18 years ago, they took care of me. I only carry liability, since what they call actual cash value would be almost nothing on my cars. My rates are dirt cheap. I'm willing to accept that if something happens, the repair is on me. I've not found a better solution. I would love to have them covered for a reasonable amount should something happen, but I will not use them daily then lie about it when I have a claim and hope that I don't get caught.

Devin

16. Swifster

Swifster

That is a modified car. Try insuring that car with your local agent with a standard policy and see what the premium is.

Hagerty and Grundy are at the top of the mountain. These are not daily driver policies. The reason they offer such cheap insurance is that they expect the risk to be less than that of a daily driver. No parking lots, rush hour traffic, etc. This doesn't mean you can't drive the car and enjoy it. I forget which company (J.C. Taylor?) that expects you to babysit your car at all times, but stay away from this requirement. I mean, what happens if I take a trip in the car and something happens to it in the hotel parking lot?

You also want Agreed Value, not Stated Value.

17. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

I was sold on Grundy based on a lot of people's belief here that their covered if they drive to work. After many calls to different companies and speaking to a few underwriters I ended up going with the company my daily's are on. The policy doesn't have to state that you can't drive it to work when you sign the application that say's you won't. The application is a contract.

18. bamabucket

bamabucket

I have Grundy for my two rods, State Farm for the daily drivers. State Farm told me they wouldn't cover the hot rods. I haven't had a claim with Grundy, so don't know how their service is. I was concerned about my coverage when I recently trailered my T-bucket the first time - I called them and said they would cover it if it was stolen from the trailer or damaged in an accident while in the trailer. They cover the cars for agreed value and I don't believe there is any mileage restriction. I don't think you have to be driving the car to an event, but can drive it anywhere as long it isn't to work.

19. Swifster

Swifster

Let's clear up something here. Daily drivers are something you drive to work. This is not what this type of insurance is for. The same is true for going to the mall or the grocery store. Taking your hot rod to these places increases the risk, and this is why it is frowned upon.

BUT, say you drove the car to work Friday afternoon and going to a show afterwards. THEY WILL STILL COVER YOUR CAR. If you stopped at the grocery store after a hot rod breakfast somewhere, THEY WILL STILL COVER YOUR CAR. If you just plain drove the car to work, THEY WILL STILL COVER YOUR CAR. But you will most likely be dropped by your insurance carrier afterwards if they think you are abusing the system and driving it as a daily driver.

Cars on road trips are covered. Even cars will mileage limitations! Call your agent. Tell him you want to drive Route 66 or the Hot Rod Power Tour. They will say "Have fun!". You need to document your mileage so that if you have a 3000 mile limit, you can justify any additional mileage. Obviously, Grundy and Hagerty don't have mileage limitations. But some do. If you have a real gray area, call the claims department and ask! They are the ones that make the decision if something is covered (it's all covered). Again, abuse the system, and they'll cancel you when it renews. But unless it's outright fraud, they will cover your loss.

20. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

What you are saying is what I thought before I started reading people's posts about what they think their coverage is. I went with the same co. as my daily because I drive my car to drive it. 90% of the time I drive my car it's not related to going to some "event", it's because I want to drive it and I would rather know I'm covered and I don't really care for the limitations.

21. Swifster

Swifster

If you drive it everyday, regular car insurance is fine. But allow me to make some suggestions for that kind of coverage.

1) I would look at having a slightly higher medical coverage than you would on a newer car. Normally I'd suggest 100,000/500,000 but on a vintage car or hot rod, I'd look at 250,000/500,000. If you don't have seat belts in the vehicle, I'd go with whatever the maximum the company has for coverage. I'd also look at some serious liability coverage, not the minimum. Hit a $60K Mercedes-Benz and see how quickly that money disappears.

2) Some states, like Michigan, have unlimited medical coverage on every policy. Most states do not. Most states do not have N0-Fault insurance and you need to make sure your medical bills are covered. I'd also be looking at Uninsured Motorist due to the economy and the numerous uninsured drivers on our highways.

3) At minimum, I'd carry comprehensive (Comp) on the vehicle. This type of coverage covers everything but collision and mechanical breakdown. I mention mechanical breakdown, and it's exactly like it sounds. It won't cover a blown engine or burned up transmission, etc. The reason to carry comp? Ever price a windshield on an older car? Obviously, cars from the 1920's or 1930's with flat glass can probably be cut cheap. But check out a windshield from a '57 Ford or '59 Cadillac. It also covers vandalism or theft.

4) If the car is worth less than $3500, you have to make the call on keeping collision coverage. In my mind, anything over this price should have coverage. I know I can't afford to throw away $5000 or $6000.

In figuring out what your car is worth, do so BEFORE something happens. If you have a car with heavy patina, document why it's more important that the patina was left and not sanded and refinished. See a similar car go thru Barrett-Jackson, I'd try to get the info on that car. It's all about documentation.

To most insurance adjusters, it's just an old car. It's a job to get a paycheck, not a labor of love. They will take the quickest way out to move the file from their desk. They will document your position and you will need to document yours. The quickest way is to get an appraisal showing the value of your vehicle. But I would also look at other forms of documentation as well.

If you go to a car show and hit the swap meet, get pictures of that '46 Chevy coupe with the $15K written on the windshield or side glass. If you are at a car show and a car/truck similar to yours is for sale, get a picture of the flyer or 'For Sale' sign if it has a price and discription. Keep these in a paper or computerized file for when the occasion arises. Be realistic! If you have a $7500 car, you lose credibility if you start asking for $25K.

5) Car Rental. Yes, you drive a '62 Corvair and your neighbor backed into the door. Their insurance will usually cover loss of use while it's in the shop. But what if it was a hit-and-run? Car rental coverage is cheap. And driving that new Toyota Corolla will be better than walking. Remember, if that Corvair was your daily driver, how will you get to work while the parts are sourced or the shop's working on the car?

6) Road service. I hope most of us are mechanically inclined. But some things are just not road side repairs. Keep in mind many companies limit the towing to 3-6 times a year.

On a last note, if you have a decent home or live in a state where many things are decided in a court room, I'd also look at an umbrella policy for liability over and above what you can get from your car policy. These usually max out a $5M. Your car and homeowners policies are typically primary with the umbrella being over and above.

One last reminder. HOMEOWNERS DOES NOT COVER YOUR CAR OR IS PARTS, with a very narrow exception. Do not think your homeowners policy will cover the carb and intake if they are stolen from your garage while you were doing head gaskets. If your agents says car parts are covered, make a phone call to the claims department and ask for a clarification.

I hope this helps. I would still see about a collector car policy with Agreed Value first, but if you don't go that route, make sure you are covered.

22. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

These are great points and were the main reasons I went with my existing company. My big concern was the technicality on coverage. I'm more concerned with losing my house because of some technicality about where and when I was driving. If I get in an accident at 11pm on my way to work I obviously wasn't going to a car show/event therefore I wouldn't be covered with the specialty insurance. That risk isn't worth the $80 a year differance to me. To replace the car would probably be $12 to $15k, I have $4k in it in 1990 dollars.

Documentation is important - I have pictures of 3 cars of the same year and model with forsale signs at swapmeets and 4 craigslist ads all with the price range of 12k to 18k.

23. Swifster

Swifster

Want ads are fine. But get a written appraisal. Spend the $100-$250 and do it again ever other year.

As for driving the car, I've never seen a claim denied because are car was driven to work. Usually the claim is handled, but they will cancel the policy at renewal time. It's important to read your policy and look for specific exclusions.

24. boldventure

boldventure

Swifster; I've sort of followed this thread and your advice sounds spot on!
    I"m curious who "they" are. Have you had or heard of, many claims that were settled then canceled at renewal with many carriers or only certain ones?

25. i did have a accident in my trailer and grundy covered it
    but if I had a valuable show car especially with custom paint I would now go with Hagerty, especially if I could afford it, you get what you pay for:cool:

26. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

The Grundy application has a question about using it to commute and as a back up vehicle. I intend to use it for both and checking yes to those gets your application denied.

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not that it is anywhere ready go to back on the road, but as for the insurance on my '29A, I still have the same unsettled quandary.

I park all of my cars at my shop, where I have secure, garaged parking. So, by definition, when I am taking my car back to the garage to put it away, I am driving it to work.

There is not an option of garage parking where I live, and any in the area is not even remotely secure. Renting a garage for $100/mo., far out of my sight, to duplicate parking I already pay for, does not make sense to me.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  28. boldventure

boldventure

I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question, but have you contacted any of the Agreed Value carriers to ask this question?
    I have had mixed results when I have contacted these companies with unusual questions. It may take a couple of tries to get a straight answer.

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So far, all I have heard is "garaged at your residence", across the board. I will keep looking, calling, hoping.

30. boldventure

boldventure

Just curious,have you contacted Grudy?
    beckyatgrundy
    Grenade Inspector She is a member here.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/member.php?u=73805
    Haven't heard from/about her in a while but it might be worth a pm to her.