Register now to get rid of these ads!

350 crate motor wont start???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by r600, Apr 11, 2010.

1. louie the fly

louie the fly

r600, I'd be checking the position of the rotor relative to the valve timing. Did you guys fit the dissy or did it come installed? Is it a genuine crate motor or a built thing that's been passed off as a crate motor? No offence, but reason I ask is I had a L34 spec 308 in a boat years ago. Busted a couple of valves off and holed a piston (at 6800 rpm). When I had it "fixed" it wouldn't start. After investigating the turkey that reassembled it had the timing marks 180° out. Is there any spark at the plugs?

On my 350 in my current boat I have a built 345 hp jobbie. I have a HEI dissy with an aftermarket coil, and I've disconnected the vacuum advance and blocked the port on the carb. Runs friggin awesome, starts 1st go every time, & does 80 mph.

Louie (sorry, I know it's not a boat forum, but us boaties gotta help each other out).

2. r600

r600

hay mate,yes i fitted the hei dissy,yes have spark,yes brand new goodwreach 290hp crate motor not rebuilt??????

3. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

i would say pull all the plugs out crank it over for awile to get all the fuel out of the cylinders then put some new ones in and try again.or you could just REALLY clean the new-old ones.i think 8deg is right but i know some people that set them at 12.hope you get it running.btw do you have an electric fuel pump or mech?what kind of carb?if its a holley its pretty easy to check the float and reset it but if its a carter you have to bend it right to set the float.

4. r600

r600

its 600cfm holley but its flooding all the time???no point cleaning plugs till sort that out over fueling and it has mechanical fuel pump????

5. make sure there is no gas in the oil from being flooded

6. Are you using a marine carburetor? HRP

7. r600

r600

yes have already drianed the oil after i decided that it must have past the rings ,no not marine carby?it was on the old engine working fine????

8. chop32

chop32

What Id look for:
    #1 Is it a reverse rotation motor with a standard rotation distributor?
    #2 Is the gas bad from setting? The new piss water we have for fuel goes bad fairly fast.
    #3 You may have gotten some debris in the needle & seat if the carb if flooding. Or the fuel pressure is too high?
    #4 Does the motor crank over fairly fast?? If so, your lifters might be pumped up and keeping the valves open.

Good luck!

9. Roadsir

Roadsir

Isn't the firing order down under 27563481 ?

Sounds like multiple problems. Ignition first and now fuel? but if its been cranked alot, fresh plugs, fresh oil, and better/rebuilt carb would be a safe plan to make sure you don't have issues.

10. ttarver

ttarver
    from austin

Im betting that you've got the distributor in there wrong. Just had this problem on a buddy's 283 sbc. Pull the dist. check everything and re-stab it. We did this and she fired right up.

11. r600

r600

have tryed dissy in both ways (firing 1 or 6 still no joy)

12. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

you do know how to adjust the float in your holley?

13. r600

r600

ok have got it going today front float level 2miles to high set that and bugger me dead up she fired(also has secondary problem but he will have to get the carby overhauled)also had a problem with the first hei dissy,then fitted second hei and alls well again,i had the timing spot on fuel filling engine full of fuel,just wanted to thank everyone that post on this problem,cheers adrian

14. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

glad everything is good.sometimes the stupid small things can drive a person crazy!!