Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rims on the River (Wilmington, NC) April 17

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by murph, Mar 25, 2010.

1. murph

murph

Long time, no post!

Thought I'd give folks in the southeast a heads-up for the 6th annual Rims on the River classic and custom car show in historic downtown Wilmington, NC. The show runs from 11:00-5:00 on Saturday, April 17th... it's just $5 to enter your pre-1980 car or bike. But wait, there's more...

There is also a FREE concert in Riverfront Park that starts as the car show winds-down, with music running from 5:00 - 11:00. Line-up is as follows:

The Noseriders
    Dex Romweber Duo
    Straight 8s
    Southern Culture on the Skids

For more details, you can check the show's website:
    http://www.rimsontheriver.com/

FWIW, I have not been to this show yet, but last year they had ~500 cars in attendance. Because it's in the historic district, there are tons of places to eat and shop, so seems like a good event to bring the wife or family.

-murph

Straight 8s ROCK-A-BILLY
    Original Music. Traditional Swagger.

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Wow that sounds like a great time. I'll see what I can do!!!!

3. murph

murph

monday night bump for east coast hambers.
    anyone planning to roll to wilmington on apr 17?

-murph

4. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

I should be hanging around. If anyone wants to stop by the shop, let me know. The show is about a mile from the shop.

It is a real nice show to hang out at for the weekend, and take a cruise to Wrightsville Beach!
    Had head high waves today, hopefully some on show weekend.

We could do a beach cruise from the shop to the beach to the show or something.
    Wil
    www.sakowskimotors.com
    www.ridefree.com

5. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

P.S. Murph,

California and Texas are just as filled with Street-rods and Muscle cars as North Carolina.

6. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

This will be the first show that I have ever entered. My car is nowhere near show quality, but I don't care.

7. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

Don't forget about the afterparty hosted by The Maulers, of which mauler rich is a member here.

[​IMG]

8. murph

murph

SM: Not sure what the schedule is gonna be yet for the weekend. Likely driving down Friday night with the family, but I also have to bring gear, so not sure if we'll be in the shoebox. Would be nice to check out the shop. I'm leaning towards staying at Carolina Beach, so will definitely get a beach fix while in town.

EP: Congratz on getting your car together. And thanks for the heads-up on the PCM after-party. We play our set right before SCOTS, so we'll see if I have anything left in the tank after that. LOL

-murph

9. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

I will be there baring unforeseen circumstances This time I will not be driving my 55 Delivery like I did to the Maulers show. I traded that for a 50 Pontiac that I will be bringing. Its a mild 70 east coast style Kustom. I will probably be wearing a Los Boulevardos shirt.

10. murph

murph

T-minus 2 days and counting.

Weather is gonna be awesome.
    Estimated 600+ classics, rods, and customs converging on the port city.
    Rock-a-billy, surf, swing, and swamp boogie guaranteed to pin your ears back.

-murph

11. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Unable to attend, but it would be worth going just to see Southern Culture On The Skids!

12. murph

murph

Hey Rich,

Thanks for posting that link... that video continually gets taken down (and back up). I'm guessing due to copyright infringement or whatever? Anyay, that's some good footage of my soon-to-be-former Killer Filler band-mate, Crispy, on rhythm guitar. I love SCOTS with and without him, but damn his Hammond B3 playing really added a nice dimension to their sound.

SCOTS sounds damn good on recordings, but they are one of those bands that sound EVEN BETTER live. Hot damn, I can't wait till Saturday.

-murph

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Damn, I am not sure I am going to be there. I am having some issues with my '52 right now. Sounds awesome thought!

14. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

You're in the band with Cousin Crispy? Neato!

15. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

Hopefully I can still make it to this, if not I guess I wasted $5. Had to have a minor medical procedure yesterday and I'm hoping this soreness will go away enough for an all day outing.

16. murph

murph

Yeap, I've been drumming in his instrumental band, Killer Filler for the last 3.5 (almost 4) years. (About the same time I dropped off the face of the HAMB). LOL He is a super talented writer and plays everything from accordian to guitar to tuba and everything in-between. It's been a helluva good time and learning experience.

Last June, a local rock-a-billy band I really like, the Straight 8s was looking for a drummer, and I've been doing double-duty ever since. Playing in a tight, 3-piece is a helluva lot of fun, and there's more opportunities for creative input, so I gave notice to KF in January... playing all shows on the books till end of June.

I'll miss playing in KF for sure, but with all of the cool stuff happening with the 8s, I won't have much time to spend looking in the rearview mirror.

-murph

17. elgato65

elgato65

Murph - just lemme know when someone needs a drummer down in Fayetteville....cause I'm getting bored listening to my self play.....

18. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

I will be walking around the show.
    It really is a great location being downtown on the river. Will probably surf early, then hanging around the show.
    Wil
    www.sakowskimotors.com
    www.ridefree.com