Register now to get rid of these ads!

How far is to far? to travel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by divco13, Apr 15, 2010.

1. How far is to far?

What is it that tells you, NOPE AIN'T GOING. It's to far to drive, to a show ?
    Is it that you don't trust, getting back and forth. Your shy or just what excuse is you favorite!

2. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

When it gets to a point that it cost too much ie: fuel, Places to stay etc. Money is tight these days.

3. I drove 2 days from Texas to PA to get to the Jalopy showdown, a 1 day show. worth every mile.

Drove two days from Texas to Chicago for the 2nd Pileup, a one day show, worth every mile.

Not much I wouldn't use as an excuse to drive the Model A.

4. Depends on the show, where it is, what time of year, do I have the money, many variables to answer here.

Bonneville is finally a player this year for me!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010

5. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

I drove from Vancouver Island to Pomona for the GNRS.
    1250 miles.

6. hotrod32@usfamily.net

[email protected]
    from st paul

I just like the drive heck I drove from mn to az for a rambler loved the trip

7. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

It's never too far if you have the time and money to go. Driving is 80% of the fun when going to a rod run. Build a rod that's dependable and road worthy and you will be okay....

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

There isn't a show/event that's too far for me...I put on over 10,000/12,000 miles a summer (late April to October 1) going...and sometimes, I'll even take in an event in October and November (in the warmer winter states anyway...!!!).

R-

9. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Cost and time are the determining factor, not distance, if I could, I would spend all my time driving around the country.

10. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

Exactly!

11. Donnda

Donnda

Cost of gas is @ $2.89 here in Montana and motels @ $85.00 or better makes you use the calculator to see far you can go and everything is a loooong way fom here.

Donn

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  12. narlee

narlee

The Oceans are a big limiting factor. As others have said time and money always come in to play.

13. Muttley

Muttley

For me it's more of a time/money thing. I'm a single father so I cant be gone too long. I'd love to go to the HAMB Drags, LSR or Bonneville but just cant right now. Someday when my daughter is a little older and I win the lottery, look out, you guys will be seeing me everywhere.

14. I've dreamed of having a 40's or 50's Flxible bus RV conversion and a neat hot rod in tow, just traveling around the country for four or five years. Doing whatever the hell I want, in style! Hit the closest shows to where I'm staying that weekend.

15. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

when gas was still a 1.50 a gallon there was no question ! its when are we leaving. now gas 3.00 a gollon. and work is poor its how are we gona go. but road trips are fun memories and breakdowns and getting lost are experiences nevr to forget!

16. Deadender60

Deadender60

I'm broke but just drove over 3,200 miles to the Round Up and back... Worth every dollar and mile!

-Juan

17. t-rod

t-rod

The Oceans are a big limiting factor. As others have said time and money always come in to play.

What he said. My car doesn't float. Anywhere else is driving distance.

18. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

all depends on what your travelin for

19. gas pumper

gas pumper

This is the answer.
    I go 4 hours to the Showdown, 3 days to B'ville, but won't go 8 tenths of a mile to the local cruise.

20. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

Planning to drive 2,400+ miles to Bonneville this year!

21. I do and plan to contiinue tavel to any coast, mountain range or state I've not yet visited in the contiental US behind the wheel of my rod. Seeing our great country while hot rodding across it is the best. (Especially topless) Too far doesn't exist so long as I have time and the extra cash!

22. ap1930

ap1930

You lucky guys over there - ONLY $3 a gallon.
    Over here in the UK its almost 9 BUCKS a gallon. Still plan to travel over a thousand miles to get to the A-Bombers in Sweden and two ferry trips at a cost of $1700.
    Still I wouldn't miss it.
    AP

23. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Some days 2 miles is too far and others 2,000 is a piece of cake.

24. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Nowadays its the wallet not the odometer. In 76 my brother and I took my just finished the week before to the NSRA street rod nationals in Tulsa OK I lived on LI NY. Then in 78 my wife and I put on 13,000 miles in 6 weeks driving from LI to street rod nats in Colunbus OH. then west to San Diego north to Andys Picnic East to Yellowstone Rod Run and back to NY. Hit every National Park along the way. Sold the car to a guy from Kenosha WI I drove to Youngstown OH he flew in and drove it back to WI. Pixs are in front of Morman Tabernacle,Yellowstone Lodge, Rocky Mtn. national park and Vintage Tin banner is pix from Street rod nats in Tulsa.

Car was a all steel 36 Willys sedan w/ 4cyl. chevy nova 153 cu.in. and powerglide

Last I heard the car is in Florida I would certainly like to see it again

Attached Files:

25. blacktopicasso

blacktopicasso

Its never to far. Its about the journey, the experince of you and the machine you built. The open road. Reuniting with old friends and making new friends. This is priceless.
    My only limitations are my job sometimes.

26. MissPrint

MissPrint

Ditto. As a teacher my time is really dictated by the school calendar. Unfortunately, I can't take off for certain shows simply because of the time factor. Pennies I can save. Time I can't accrue as easily.

27. last year i drove my 1953 chev over 10,000 miles and enjoyed every one. being i am getting older?? i may as well spend everything before some little ungratefulls try to get ahold of my cold iron..
    me and the wife enjoy road trips and with the investments in several
    unusual autos they may as well be used as long as I am present on earth
    being located in middle america usually limits most trips to 1500 miles
    hope to see YOU on the road this summer:D

28. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

for a car show, and driving a hot rod?
    1,803 one way, when I was 16.... Los Angeles---St. Louis
    I'd do it again tomorrow.

[​IMG]

29. ken1939

ken1939

I really really really want to take the Ute out to Washington State. My friend who lives in Vancouver is moving to Minnesota, and I would really like to show him the car in the flesh so to speak. Its just that 40 hours in a production car is one thing, not to mention its a 3 day trip if I do 13 hours a day. That wont give me to much time to enjoy the Pacific Northwest.

Now a drive to St. Paul from Pittsburgh (15 hours) to me is doable. You just drive faster past Detroit. If you drive an open car, you have to take the elements. But thats part of the charm.

I considered the unthinkable, having it transported out there. Reasonable at $1700 from Reliable. Enclosed trailer. It would cost me 2100 in mileage if I rented a rig to take it out.

So theres where I am..Unless I nail the powerball this weekend:rolleyes:

30. Muttley

Muttley

Pick me up on the way.