Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rear quarter panels for a '63 Valiant Wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JazzyAppleSeed, Apr 15, 2010.

1. JazzyAppleSeed

JazzyAppleSeed

Hi All,

I'm in the Portland, OR area and am in dire need of decent looking rear quarter panels for my '63 Valiant Wagon. I have gone out to Wildcat Auto Wrecking and they wanted $500 for some that weren't in much better shape than mine. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jasmine

2. Joatha

Joatha

Do you need full quarters? Or just patch panels? If its just some patch panels, then try Laysons. I think they are just about the only source on the early A-body patch panels (I may be wrong). I'm not sure how well what he has will fit. But, give them a call. They should be able to figure out whether what they have will work or not.

http://www.laysons.com/Catalog.cfm?nCatID=1304&nModelID=4&nModelYear=1963

My only advice is the MAKE SURE he has them in stock before ordering. Things get dicey when he doesn't have them and there are a lot of folks that have had bad experiences with out of stock items. Better yet, call them up and see what they have and then just drive up to their place and pick them up (preferred option). Should be just 2-2.5 hours drive for you from Portland - not too bad at all.

3. JazzyAppleSeed

JazzyAppleSeed

I would like full quarters, but would be pleased as pie with patch panels. I'll get in touch with this company to see what they have available, and will heed your advice on pre-payment....
    I have lots to learn about this building cars business (very happily so). Thanks a million.

4. Joatha

Joatha

Your only possibility with full quarters is to find some used ones. No one repops those - and certainly not for a wagon. That's going to be a tough part to find.

5. JazzyAppleSeed

JazzyAppleSeed

That's what I was thinking. These patch panels will probably be the least hair pulling out route.

6. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

'doubtful you'll find repopped wagon quarters, or patches! I'm guessin you could cut down coupe quarters for patches, but all of these A body era Mopars rotted in the quarters. I had a Duster (relabled Valiant) fourty years ago that had already started to rot in the quarters!

There isn't alot of shape in the lower skirt areas of these panels, and patch panels are not that hard to make. The "flare" above the wheelhouse could be cut from a coupe and welded in.

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed ''

7. jrstockwagon

jrstockwagon

good luck on the search. the ones laysons sells are not for wagons. they are for the sedans and early barracudas. the body lines look similar, but are different. you can get patches from some austrailian companies. my wagon needs quarter panel work also. im just going to fab up some patches though.

8. brad2v

brad2v

Autobody Specialties also has patch panels, but again, not for wagons, the rearmost panels could probably be made to work, but not the area around the wheel opening. Might try All-American Wreckers in Vancouver Wa. for used wagon quarters.

9. brad2v

brad2v

Got to thinkin' again, I looked in your album, the quarters on the car look good. that said everything looks better in pic's, what is the issue? Are they full of bondo?

10. Big Dad

Big Dad

<--- needs lower 1/4's for one too:(

Guess I will just have to make something

Attached Files:

11. carbuilder

carbuilder

JazzyAppleSeed we could hand form your panels but would need the car here for a template I am 35 minutes South east of Seattle.

12. Squablow

Squablow

I'd cut the arch out of a pair of front fenders (which should be easy to find) and just make the flat part. How bad are they? Post pics.

13. Big Dad

Big Dad

On mine , for the most part ..it is JUST the area behind the tire on the lower 1/4 extension.

Should not be horrible to fabricate that part to fix it

14. Big Dad

Big Dad

Took awhile :)rolleyes:) to get to the project but, work has started

Passenger side quarter

[​IMG]

driver side

[​IMG]

New front suspension

[​IMG]

Long ways to go but, at least its moving forward

[​IMG]

15. blueskies

blueskies
    from Idaho

Any progress on your Valiant wagon?

Curious about the new front suspension, brand/cost, etc.

Thanks,

Pete