Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

No, some of the owners and drivers of this car, this list Pat gave me. Eldon / Ron Van Arsdale, Driver Oscar Fay/ owner driver Billy Joe Havens/ Jim Welch, drivers Jim Welch, Bobby Blount, Floyd Eddy? /Jim Mann/ Red Jones/ Steve Truchan - parted out,then frame to Pat York. I asked Pat about the roadsters Tom drove but he said Tom drove for other owners most of the time.

2. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Tom drove the former Weinberger light weight Watson roadster. It is also the same car pictured afew postings back with Ray Wright at the wheel.

3. jimg12

jimg12

Rootie,
    I think I did not get my point across right. I did not mean to downgrade JR [some cars are better for some drivers than another car], but to point out how good PJ was. The car was not a s**box at all plus the mehanic had also changed[it makes a differance]. Those two were two of the best ever, and nicest people also. As well as I remember and wread PJ never got upsidedown in a sprint car [anyone know if that is right?]. Do not know if JR ever got upsidedown except at Eldora [I was there] does anyone know if that was his only time?
    Jim

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

No, I got your point Jim, I was just being sarcastic :)rolleyes:) which doesn't always come across well in print. I agree, many times a car doesn't fit the driving style of one driver over another. I've read that about P.J. also but not sure about J.R. I think he had some wrecks driving for Wilson in the IMCA but I don't know if he was ever upside down.

5. SteveE

SteveE
    from Ohio

Tom York mostly drove for Warren Null in the roadster. Other drivers in that car were Bobby Marvin and Zeke Ingland.

6. designs that work

designs that work

Steve Bonesteel asked me to try and post his pictures of the Rassmusen offset sprintcar. The pictures of the pile of pipes was to large to post. Here are pictures of the car as it is now. The nose and tail are fiberglass that Steve made. the center of the car is aluminum that Steve also made.
    Enjoy

7. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

Where did the photos from the Bob Bergeron collection go?

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Well, if that don't beat all! :confused: :(

9. Buildy

Buildy

What happened?

Please tell me we are going to see more from that collection!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  10. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

A couple of points from the last few pages.

I was in attendance at Williams grove when Foyt went after Johnny White. It was a heat race, Foyt leading, sort of dives into 1, but he wasn't on the botom, White just drove underneath and it wasn't the slide job, pulled him coming out of 2.

White drives into the pits and foyt is there to meet him. AJ starts punching the still strapped in White. The fans booed AJ the rest of the season at the East Coast races. This nights feature race ended in a protest by Foyt who finished second to Jim Maguire in the venezia #27. Maguire gets hauled down and is DQ for a too large motor.

Marshman drove the Fike car once, missed the show at Williams grove, said it had the worst brakes he'd driven and didn't handle for him.

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I believe Wayne Weiler was the original driver of the Fike car and had pretty good sucess around the S/W with it.

Attached Files:

12. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'Hey Rootie, 'Just HOW many Fike Plumbing cars were there??? It looks like Wayne Weiler ran the car more times than most people knew?........'Oh, and BTW, it's a good thing I saved every one of those pics from the Bob Bergeron Collection that sm66p posted!!!

[​IMG]

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Apparently at least 2 :D Note the r/s steering in one shot and not in the other. Hmmmmm, maybe our resident P.J./ Fike experts will chime in and set it straight.

Attached Files:

14. chrissmith19

chrissmith19
    from cincy

the #33 is greg leffler. i beleive the cage was changed on the leffler cars the next year. our 1975 chassis the cage was changed in the back of the cage. i've seen that #44 car run a few times, it was a good looking car. they had the money...

15. chrissmith19

chrissmith19
    from cincy

post 10572. rich what year were these pic's taken. if it was 1975 i have a story about the #9 car.(paul leffler's car).

16. URY914

URY914

#33 and #44 pictures were taken in Tampa at the old State Fair track.

17. NED FRY

NED FRY
    from iowa

Rootie-- I believe JR's only sprint car upside down was in the #1 car at Eldora--- Came close at Cedar Rapids in IMCA--but you know what they say-----close only count in horse shoes and hand gernades :eek:) HI LF

18. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Chris if my memory is there, it was '75...Rich

19. BS_in_SC

BS_in_SC

CEDOZ Bernard Bernard Cedoz, 83, peacefully passed to his next life on Monday, April 12, 2010. His wife, children and grand children surrounded him with love as he took his last breaths. He was born on February 10, 1927, to Ray and Clara Cedoz. He graduated from Clay High School at which time he married his high school sweetheart Donna (Burr). He then joined the Navy and served in the Great Lakes area as World War II was ending. Bernard worked from the time he was a young teenager. He became an amazing mechanic and could fix anything. He was service manager at O'Rourke Buick for many years. Next he owned a Sohio service station, then a Shell service station, both in Oregon. He decided to open his own business, Cedoz Automotive, where he had a large and loyal clientele. In the 1970's he became an auto mechanics teacher at Clay High School. At each of these positions, he was a role model and mentor to many young adults. He also had a very successful career in auto racing. He owned and maintained sprint cars. The team began running locally with drivers Rollie Beale, Al Beale, and Vern Schmidt. Then he traveled the national circuits with Karl Busson as his driver. Together they won the 1967 I.M.C.A. championship, the 1968 Little 500, and went on to have a great career in U.S.A.C. sprints. Bernard won the coveted national Craftsman Master Mechanic award in 1967. He was much respected and admired for his innovation and ability. Despite his many successes in life, his first love and priority was his family. Known for his kindness, generosity, intelligence, and gentle nature, Bernard will be remembered with love by his survivors, first and foremost his wonderful wife of 65 years, Donna; his son Charles, his daughters Joanne (Gary) Henningsen, Dianne (Karl) Busson, and daughter-in-law Lee VanDyke; his grandchildren Lisa (Troy) Anderson, Shanna (Keith) King, Donna (Justin) Olman, Kurt Busson, Kenny Busson, and Kelly (Tim) Rains; his brother Gerald (Virginia) Cedoz, sister-in-law Jeanette Cedoz; treasured great-grand children Brant, Bryce, Garret, and Molly Anderson, and newest joy, great-granddaughter Kenna King. He was preceded in death by his parents and his brother, Raymond Cedoz. We would like to extend a special thanks to Pastor Blohm for his comfort, friend and caregiver Linda Carr, and the wonderful nurses and staff at the Perrysburg Hospice of Northwest Ohio. The family will welcome friends and visitors at Eggleston Meinert Pavley Funeral Home at Coy and Starr in Oregon on Friday from 3:00 to 8:00 pm. There will be a memorial service at First St. John Lutheran Church, 2471 Seaman St., Toledo, Ohio, on Saturday at 11 am. Contributions in Bernard's memory may be made to First St. Johns Lutheran Church or to the Hospice of Northwest Ohio. www.egglestonmeinert.com

Published in Toledo Blade from April 15 to April 16, 2010

20. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

nice shot of Don Guida in the Ernie Johnson #5 [post10593]Don is living in the Park Rapids MN area building high -end custom log homes.His son Randy,also a former driver is restoring a couple of his dads old rides.

21. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Tonite's stash....Rich

Attached Files:

22. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Sorry to hear that BS in SC. Thanks for the report.

(see you at Darlington in Sept.)

23. Buildy

Buildy

Sad news,

Another of the Old Guard passes on.

24. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Leftovers.....

Attached Files:

25. Buildy

Buildy

26. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Sorry to here this, My condolences and prayers to the Families and Friends......

27. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Thanks Buildy, I've been checking out your great shots from the last two weeks, if it wasn't for the 3 1/2 hour drive each way I'd be out there every week ....Rich

28. Buildy

Buildy

Glad you are enjoying them!
    Stay tuned-the new camera is great,but the photog is still learning how it works best.