Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best Deal on Aftermarket A/C

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lorax54, Apr 12, 2010.

1. lorax54

lorax54
    from Denton, TX

Going to need to put A/C in my 1952 Chevy Deluxe. Who sells the best setup for the best deal? New? Or is there a used unit out there I should be looking for?

2. Crease

Crease

There's a HAMBer that sells a nice little under dash unit, but cant recall who it is. Maybe it will jog somebody's memory...

3. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

i bought a hot rod air unit right here in texas 2-3 years ago---can't remember where they are but i think they are on the net. price was right---hvac to boot.

4. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I've wondered if a guy could run a mini truck a/c and use a vintage air controller.

5. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Hoy Rod Air is no longer in business I understand. IMO you are better off to buy the best you can for our part of the world. I have used several, but none were as good as the Vintage Air I have now.

6. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

7. indianmark

indianmark

Hot rod air is out of business, phones shut down and gone! I needed some parts that were missing from the kit I ordered from them and found out they are out of business. The guy that started this buisness worked for Vintage air for many years and was a good salesman that talked down Vintage and sold his product as being superior. Well I bought his bullshit story, now I am screwed! Vintage air is the original street/hot rod air conditioning company and sells a good product with good service. If I was smart I would have purchased from them. Whatever you do, do not buy from southern rods & air, cheap china product and bad service if you need help.

8. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

9. troylee

troylee

old air products and vintage air

10. 62catalina

62catalina

Rainbow Products in N.C. , I,ll look for a ph. #

11. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

I never understand why some people try to save a few bucks on major components of the cars they will have many thousands of dollars and HUNDREDS of hours of their time into?
    The leaders of the industry stay that way by investing MILLIONS of their own dollars into developing and testing the best products possible. And saving a few bucks will seem more stupid when you're sweating your ass off on a summer cruise.
    Vintage Air spends more money just on R&D each year than Hot Rod Air's total sales yet a VA system cost only about $200 more than the ones Hot Rod was buying in box and re-selling.

12. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

X2. What he said. You DO get what you pay for.

13. Don Lyon

Don Lyon

Probably not gonna get a "deal", but on A/C, spend the bucks, get Vintage. Nothing as good out there IMO.

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

one more time for the cheap seats... vintage air

15. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

16. aaggie

aaggie

Another vote for Vintage Air, well worth the price.

17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

You might give these guys in Tampa a shout. They do all kinds of vehicles, from Jeeps to Brittish sports cars. And they fab up their own parts. I have one of their small units under the cowl of my truck. I haven't got the air charged / tested yet, but I have total confidence in them. I do know the heater half works awesome! Gary

http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  18. crider

crider

I picked up a complete vintage air kit a charlotte this past week from little joes street rods out of NC. for $650. Thought that was pretty reasonable

19. One more vote for Vintage Air. They make a very good product and stand behind it 100%. They also have some very cool display cars but that is another story....

20. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

have two Vintage airs and have never had a minute of problems.

21. historynw

historynw

I'm presently installing a Vintage Air in my 47 chevy. The hardest part was finding someone to crimp the hoses and that turned out to be a ground ball. I went to a local truck/fleet supplier and they have been doing them for me. I found brand new horns there so it was worth the trip. My cheap buddy bought from another company and still hasn't got his installed.

22. Hotrod7

Hotrod7

Pretty much sums it up, Vintage Air's product is simply hard to beat.

23. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Plus ... Jack Chisenhall ( the owner of Vintage Air )
    is a HAMBER ...
    :)

He mostly lurks and rarely posts ... but he is here :D

24. Hotrod7

Hotrod7

Haha good deal. We've probably installed 10 million vintage air units in our shop over the years, only problems i've ever seen are ones that came to us to get fixed that were installed elsewhere :p:p:p:p:p:cool:

25. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Has anyone mentioned Vintage Air? Best ever.

26. zzford

zzford

I have tried them all, but the one that I recommend is the Pubic Air brand A/C unit. :eek:

27. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

did not know that. probably all the fancy-ass warranties are no longer in effect. oh well, i'm 4 years in to the build and still have to reassemble. been a good ride.

28. Seip18

Seip18

Anyone know how long ago he closed the doors. He had a Caddy AC controller of mine he was going to convert to modern controls. Better yet anyone know where he is.