Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dual point distributor question....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobbyb, Apr 10, 2010.

1. bobbyb

bobbyb
    from ohio

Im in process of gathering parts for my project car. I have installed a Mallory dual point kit in a 303 Olds distributor. I turned the shaft and saw one set of points opens before the other set. When I put the distributor back in the engine, do I static time it with fit first set of points opening? I guessed they would both open the same time....suprise!!!!:rolleyes:

Looking for some good advice on this....Thanks!!!!:)

2. thadeal4real

thadeal4real
    from FRESNO, CA

the first ones to open will be the first to fire

3. 265glide

265glide

BobbyB,
    Have FUN??:confused: with the dual point set up!
    I finally figured out the Accell D/Point dist.I have.The second set of points opens while the first set is still open, this fires the coil,so to speak.
    To your question,set static timing off opening of second set.When the circut opens.
    I dreamed up a "poor boy" Sun machine to set mine up off the engine.
    A vise,elec.drill,some rubber hose,C-clamp,9 volt battery and dwell meter.
    See photo below.:eek:
    All that said, if you can run 12 volts on the engine get a set of top line points from NAPA,dual spring them and run a single set of points.
    Well enough from the geezer section-------
    later,glider

Attached Files:

4. thadeal4real

thadeal4real
    from FRESNO, CA

440 its called dwelll and the motor only spins one way i dont care if it has 1 2 or 100 points the first one will be the starting point

5. thadeal4real

thadeal4real
    from FRESNO, CA

so he should set the gap at 20 or 10 this wont effect timing acording to you right? lol

6. thadeal4real

thadeal4real
    from FRESNO, CA

dont get crazy dude hes talkn about staticly timing the motor i just said the first point is where he needs to start as the gap is crutial to the timing and yes your second point opening will fire but not if the first one is almost closed

7. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

Yes it would still fire if the first set was almost closed, now if it was already closed it would not. Anyway dwell time was not the original posters question, and that is what the first set is going to affect, depending on the gap. That is the way I remember it anyway, been about 40 yrs. since I messed with a dual point dizzy.

8. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

The purpose of dual points is to give the coil more dwell time so it builds a bigger charge before discharging. 440 roadrunner is CORRECT in describing the system and almost closed is NOT GOOD ENOUGH closed is closed and open is open.

thadeal4real why don't you go read up on dual points systems before you make a bigger fool of yourself.

And an introduction post is customary so people can judge your posts on what you have done.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  9. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

If you don't believe 440, try this: http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/ignition/ig200.htm

"With the dual points distributor, the first points set to close "makes" the circuit and will incur any ravages caused by a small amount of arcing when closing. The last points set to open "breaks" the circuit and will incur any ravages caused by a small amount of arcing when opening."

10. bobbyb

bobbyb
    from ohio

Thanks to everyone who contributed.....didn't mean to start a fuss.

11. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/ignition/ig200.htm

12. sure nice when the facts are concrete on issues that have grey areas. it's a real shame they don't teach physic's anymore and these discussions would never come up. 440 roadrunner you might think your getting cranky but you really a "automotive paramedic" the way i viewed it cause if you hadn't assisted in removing somebody's head out of their ass they might of expired!:rolleyes::D

13. airmentbob

airmentbob
    from san diego

the only thing i really know about mallory dual points is that when the copper wire blew up connecting the second point in my ride, the car wouldn't run anymore. they are dual points for a reason. i fixed it later on and it ran just fine. i hear they are good distributors though. but like all things old they need rebuilding after time.

14. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

I hate to ask a dumb question but I gotta ask anyway. I have an old dual point Mallory for a Chevy SBC. I just got a 50 Olds with a 303 V8. Is it possible to put that Mallory distributor in the Olds 303? Are they the same? Thanks and try not to diss me too much,just never fooled around with an old Olds.

15. draginsteel

draginsteel

Are you kidding me? You're about to start WWIII.

16. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

don't mean to,just trying to figure out whether it would work. I searched here for Mallory dist part numbers and what they fit. I had this sitting around and then bought another one for a small block and they are 2 different part numbers. I thought there was a list of part numbers I saw somewhere but can't find it now.

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

thanks 440 RR..thats how i was taught too..waaaaayyyyy back when i was just a lad

18. Dave2spd

Dave2spd

All the GM distributors were very similar but do not fit other GM engines.